CPU buying?

Pinocchio

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
I am trying to asseble a new computer together.
From what I read on Tom's web site, I think AMD 1.2G may be a good choice right now. If I consider buying AMD CPU, which motherboard should I buy? Is AMD 1.2G really a good one to buy or something else?
Other than that, is there anything I should becarful about buying?
Please help ASAP
Thank you

G

I'd wait a week or two for cpu prices to stabilize. I'm getting ready to rebuild, too. But I'm going to wait till the end of month...

:redface:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
questions.

1. what is your budget???
2. what are you going to use it for???
3. will u be overclocking???

help us to help you

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

Pinocchio

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
1. what is your budget???
I will say around US$ 200 for CPU and motherboard

2. what are you going to use it for???
for a heavy duty work processing

3. will u be overclocking???
Hmm...probably not but I would like to try if it's a good idea.

help us to help you

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

So, it's AMD for or bad to purchase now?
Please suggest me with more details.

Thanks a lot

svol

Champion
If you have a good heatsink and install it good, then you're OK.
I don't recommend a motherboard with Via chipset, because Via chipsets are known to be buggy and can give some compatibility problems, especially with the Soundblaster Live!

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Newer via chipsets(kt266a) do not have those issues.

AMD is a good processor and a good value, it is not more likely to go bad if you install the hsf properly.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Right then.
as u are doing power computing i reccomend you get an athlon XP chip, as they have a number of improvments over the older athlon B or C.
(runs cooler, SSE enabled, hardware prefetch)
the last two may improve processing considerably.
you can choose which particular chip to get.
the XP1600+ seems the best compromise between price & performance at the moment.

CPU cooler is obviously essential... but u dont need anything fancy unless your running in extreme conditions or overclocking.
go for the stock cooler by coolermaster, or a volcano 6, or winfop32-1 or something similar.
<A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com" target="_new">http://www.dansdata.com</A> has a huge cooler roundup if you want to be picky.

P.S. if you dont know how to do anything, dont mess about. get a pro to do it, and ask to watch.
unskilled labour is the #1 reason for people frying AMD chips.

mobo choice may be a bit more complex...

at present there are 3 main chipset choices.
via kt266a, sis 735 or Nforce.
all have decent performance, but as always there is a trade off between performance & price.

sis is cheapest, but is the slowest of the bunch.
nforce is the most expensive,but has very high performance and onboard graphics and sound.
depending what u want, that can be a blessing or a curse...
question: do u need really fast 3d graphics? if not, the nforce with a geforceMX onboard may be the way to go.
last is the kt266a chipset. excellent allrounder, usually with decent overclocking capabilities. some people shy away from Via chipsets though due to past troubles.

most major manufacturers produce at least 1 board from each group.
its best to read all the reviews that TOMS has done to determine whats best for u.

cheers

scwarner

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
I agree completely... Definately use an XP cpu if you are building an AMD system.

"Intel people buy their computers to learn. AMD people build theirs because they already have."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts