Help please....previously deleted folder reappearing on desktop...

rob2004canada

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Hello, I am experiencing a problem that I have never seen before. I had downloaded a movie soundtrack from iTunes, burned the tracks to a blank CD, and the re-ripped them to a folder I had created on my desktop. I named the folder "Stripes", after the movie. Then, I copied the folder over to an external harddrive that I have connected via USB and once on there I deleted the folder off of my desktop. Now, the Stripes folder keeps reappearing every couple days even though I keep deleting it. Here is what I am using if it might help any:
Sony Vaio E Series laptop - VPCEB16FD
Windows 7 64 Bit
Lacie 500 GB External Harddrive for storage - not always connected
I am hoping someone can help out as I have never seen this before. For antivirus I run Abavt but sadly the Boot Time Scan does not work for 64 bit. I also have a program here called Malware Bytes' Anti Malware.
Thank you for the help.

Robert

rob2004canada

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Ok, downloaded the two programs and are now using them. A couple gateway things were found but that's all. The empty file just popped up again. Here is what I can tell you about it.
The size is 0 bytes, indicating it is empty.
It is read-only.
That's about it, so basically nothing other than it's just an empty folder that pops up no matter how many times I delete it.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Let's try this.
Right click on the folder in question.
You should see at least two options.
They both start with "Scan".
Do both scans. It should only take a couple of seconds since the folder is empty.

rob2004canada

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
No malicious items were detected by both scans, one from the Avira AV and the other from Malware Bytes. I am thinking it may not be a virus/malware/spyware issue but maybe some other kind. I just want to cure it but have no idea how.

rob2004canada

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Ok, I think I may have fixed it. I just got the idea while reading a book unrelated to this whole issue. When I ripped the songs from the burned CD using WMP I had changed the rip directory to the new folder I had set up for the songs. Then I moved them to the external and deleted the folder but never changed WMP's rip directory. So, I am thinking that whenever I play media the folder then pops up to be expecting to receive a file.
I think this may be it and hopefully it will not show up again. Just when you think it is something malicious it usually is just something small you have overlooked. Anyways, thank you very much for your time and help.

Robert