Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I installed SP1 finally and was prompted/asked if I wanted to install/include "uninstall files" for SP1 in case there were problems. I did. No problems occurred, but all those uninstall files are taking up so much room on my hard drive. How do you go about deleting them - and is it safe to do so. XP Pro runs fine otherwise.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
There's not just one uninstall folder - there is the one you mention, plus 26 other uninstall folders - I'm not sure what is safe to remove/delete or not ... I followed the wizard when I downloaded SP1 and this is what I got for uninstall options.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Too many to list here - but they start with $NtServicePackUninstall$, $NtUninstallQ309521$ - and run through - $NtUninstallQ810833$. 27 total folders - I just checked yes (uninstall files option) on a MS wizard.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Heh heh...lots of lurkers about.

I too have installed the SP1 and a few of the other "critical" updates. I have a total of seven of those uninstall folders in windows. taking up around 3Mb on the disk. They have a common characteristic in their name that matches them up to certain updates; towards the end is a "Q" followed by a series of numbers.

To tell you the truth I cannot remember if I selected the uninstall option with SP1 or all of the other updates I installed...obviously I selected at least enough of them to wind up with seven folders.

I have noticed that these folders can be copied, deleted, and then replaced with a copy. Sooo...maybe the thing to do is to back them up on a CD before you wipe them just in case you find some problems and need them later on.

....WW

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
The following folders are created when you install Windows XP SP1:
%systemroot%\Servicepackfiles

%systemroot%\$NtServicePackUninstall$

folder name that contains 20 random characters, for example, 9470bb12e8a4f3447657236478e41c5

NOTE: The %systemroot% environment variable refers to your Windows folder.

The %systemroot%\Servicepackfiles Folder
IMPORTANT: Do not delete or move this folder.

This folder contains files that are required when you add or remove optional Windows components. This folder is also used by Windows File Protection (WFP) to replace damaged or changed protected system files.

The %systemroot%\$NtServicePackUninstall$ Folder

IMPORTANT: Do not delete this folder unless you are sure that you will not want to remove Windows XP SP1 in the future.

When you install the service pack and choose to archive the files you need to remove the service pack, Windows automatically creates a backup. This is a backup of the files and settings that the service pack installer changes, and which are saved in the %systemroot%\$NTServicepackUninstall$ folder. You can use the contents of this folder to return your computer to its previous state. If you delete this folder, you cannot remove the service pack. If you are sure that you will not want to remove the service pack, you can safely delete this folder. If you delete the %systemroot%\$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder, the option to remove the service pack still appears in the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. When you try to remove the service pack, you may receive the following error message:

Uninstaller Error

An error occurred while trying to remove Windows XP Service Pack 1. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove Windows XP Service Pack 1 from the Add or Remove programs list?
If you click Yes, the option to remove SP1 is removed from the Add or Remove Programs tool.

The Windows XP SP1 Installation Temporary Files Folder
This folder is not required after you install the service pack, and you can safely delete this folder. When you install Windows XP SP1, this temporary folder is created on the volume that has the most free space. The folder name contains 20 random characters, and is not always created on the same volume as the Windows folder. For example, this temporary folder may have the following name:
9470bb12e8a4f3447657236478e41c5

This folder is automatically deleted by Windows XP after you install the service pack. However, if the folder is not automatically deleted by Windows XP, you can safely delete this folder.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
None of the folder you describe/detail exist on my HD - please refere to my previous post for the description. After all I have read, it may be best to let them be and just add more storage.

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
You did list these in a previous post -

"Too many to list here - but they start with $NtServicePackUninstall$, $NtUninstallQ309521$ - and run through - $NtUninstallQ810833$. 27 total folders".

The first one, ServicePackUninstall is the folder that saves info if you want to uninstall SP1. Safe to delete if you are sure you will not want to uninstall SP1.

The other ones you listed - UninstallQ***** - are for other updates you have done. These are also safe to delete if everything has been running fine after you installed them.

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
And as it says, I would leave the ServicePackFiles alone. Just for safety.

You could also delete the XP install .cab files if you really need the room. These files have all the setup info and drivers. Problem here is that if you install any new hardware or anything that XP may need drivers for you will have to insert your XP cd and redirect the install window to the cd. The .cab files are handy to have on you drive, if you have room.