Rate this system

Mopar_Mudder

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
It's time to upgrade the PII-450 that is long since out of date, here is what I am thinking:

Mother Board - Asus P4T-E
Proccessor - P4 2.0ghz Northwood
Memory - 512mb RD Ram
Video - Asus G-Force 3 500Ti
Hard drive - Maxtor 60gb 7200rpm ATA100 (also have a 27gig 7200 ATA66)
Power Supply - 500watt

So what do you think, anything different I should be looking at?

I am looking for a good case to put this in also, what do you recomend?

Oh ya, lets not start a "you should use ADM" thing, please.

Thanks for the help.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Why would I recommend "ADM" :wink:

Great system. You can save some money by getting a 35w Enermax or so (unless you're already getting a great deal on the 500w). Otherwise it looks good.

Oh, make sure you're getting 2 256MB sticks of Samsung.

Just out of curiosity, why are you getting Intel? Just wondering why you're not thinking about AMD. (No, I won't try to change your mind, don't worry.)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
For the case i would recomend to you either Enligh 7237 or Aopen HX08...

For the HD go for the ATA133,same price and upgradable for a later system.

Great system your building there!

Sorry for my spelling I'm french...hey I ain't perfect!

Mopar_Mudder

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Well you get comfortable with something and it is hard to change. I am heavy into the video editing and Intel seems to be geared more in that direction, but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time!

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not bad, but I would say using a 845D with DDR memory instead of the Rambus. It may have a tad lower bandwith but the latency is much better. I read articles (I believe here) that the DDR systems are faster than the RDRAM systems.

Also, why the Maxtor drives. The IBM 60GXP drives are faster.

As for cases, I like the Antec SX1030, but that's my preference. Now, if cost was not an issue, that neat Coolermaster case with the greenish glass door, that's sweet.

See, I was good, no "ADM" stuff :smile:

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

Mopar_Mudder

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Thanks for the input, uh ya, I am biased toward Dodge myself ;)

The DDR memory is as fast at the Rambus, hmm, didn't think they were that close.

I belive that Asus also has a mother board that has IDE 133 that take DDR memory, so maybe that would be the way to go.

I really don't care which brand harddrive I use, the one I have now is Maxtor is all, which will be going into the system along with a new 60gb or bigger dive.

I am going to go look at thoose case now and check them out.

Thanks again.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Stick with RDRAM, you'll want the bandwidth. The latency isn't that bad now that Intel has dual-channel chipsets.

ATA133 is worthless in itself. The drive isn't that much more expensive though, so if you're looking for something around that price and size, it's a decent buy.

The IBM 60GXP is slightly faster than the Maxtor, but I always recommend people stick with brands they are comfortable with when it comes to storage devices.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here is the <A HREF="http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/wkstion.html" target="_new"> Antec SX830 </A>

Here is the <A HREF="http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/sohoser.html" target="_new"> Antec SX1040 </A>

Here is the <A HREF="http://www.coolermaster.com/home.html" target="_new"> Coolermaster ATC 210 with the green glass door </A>

As for the article on DDR 845, I can't locate it so I might just have to recind my statement earlier. But, as seen on <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/17010203.htm" target="_new">The Inquirer </A>, Intel has it's own memory/PCI latency bug in the 850 and 860 chipsets, just like Via.

Oh, speaking of Via, I guess Via C3 = Dodge :tongue: . Just kidding, but worked on too many 2.2 OHC K car engines to know this isn't the same Mopar of the sixties.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Not only that, but on the i850, i860, and most "unpatched" VIA chipsets, anything above ATA100 won't really do you any good. The PCI bus itself, even though claiming to have 133MB/sec bandwidth, can only push a sustained 90MB/sec on these chipsets.

SiS and ALi chipsets don't have this problem. Pre-i850 Intel chipsets don't have the problem either. VIA is releasing/has released a patch to fix the problem now that it's been discovered. Intel has had this "erratum" from the start and apparently doesn't plan to fix it.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Arrrgh, I could have sworn I didn't double post. Now the "edit" feature won't let me delete it!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 01/18/02 05:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
You only had to say it once :lol:

Good info