OS 10.3.8 preferred sync method

April 12, 2005 12:49:06 AM

Hi, I realize I could scour history to try and come up with this, but
I'm looking for a quick clean consensus if possible.

I would like to know if the current Palm Desktop freshly downloaded,
will sync without issue to my older Palm using Hot Sync obtained in that
download without any caveats. I recall seeing other 'Syncing' apps (or
so it appeared) as being needed or used by others when I glanced thru
postings over the past year, but didn't pay much attention at the time,
as it didn't matter then. Now it does as I finally moved into a more
current machine.

Details:
Formerly on PB 3400c OS 8.6, Palm IIIc using Palm Desktop vs 2.5; also
syncing at work with XP Pro and Palm Desktop (don't remember version,
but fairly recent).

Now on iMac G4 1.25 with OS 10.3.8, same Palm IIIc, fresh download of
Palm Desktop 4.2.1 installed but not opened/setup.

Basic conduits used, plus occassional AvantGO, PalmQuicken, and Document
to Go.

Can I just get the PalmConnect USB adapter, move extra conduits as
needed and sync, and all will be good? Or are there issues with the Palm
HotSync? Or are there advantages with third party apps to sync?

Will any serial to USB adapter work, or do I really need the Palm
branded one?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share their insight as current
OS 10.3.8 users, especially with Palm series III handhelds.

Dave

More about : preferred sync method

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:55:13 AM

Dave Borr wrote:
> Hi, I realize I could scour history to try and come up with this, but
> I'm looking for a quick clean consensus if possible.
>
> I would like to know if the current Palm Desktop freshly downloaded,
> will sync without issue to my older Palm using Hot Sync obtained in
that
> download without any caveats. I recall seeing other 'Syncing' apps
(or
> so it appeared) as being needed or used by others when I glanced thru
> postings over the past year, but didn't pay much attention at the
time,
> as it didn't matter then. Now it does as I finally moved into a more
> current machine.
>
> Details:
> Formerly on PB 3400c OS 8.6, Palm IIIc using Palm Desktop vs 2.5;
also
> syncing at work with XP Pro and Palm Desktop (don't remember version,
> but fairly recent).
>
> Now on iMac G4 1.25 with OS 10.3.8, same Palm IIIc, fresh download of
> Palm Desktop 4.2.1 installed but not opened/setup.

I use Palm Desktop 4.2.1 with my ibook running 10.3.8. It uses version
3.2 of HotSync Manager. I use this with my Tungsten|E.

> Basic conduits used, plus occassional AvantGO, PalmQuicken, and
Document
> to Go.

I also use Avantgo althoogh it requires the Mal Conduit (free
download) for Avantgo.
I also use DTG 6.002

Sorry, but this is about all I can help with as I don't have the older
Palm. My T|E has USB.
!