registry?

medeamajic

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
What folder in the registry contains the programs that run at startup? Is there a program like msconfig in Windows 2000?

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Not 100% on this, but I know in 98 it was in the regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or RunOnce

It's all good ^_^

medeamajic

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Thanks!

It does seem to list some programs but not as many as if I use msconfig. There must be a better way. Why was msconfig left out of Windows 2000?

voidedwarrenty

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
If you look under HKCU, it's (obviously) for whomever you are logged in as, I always look under..
HLKM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
Also, uninstall info is under...
HLKM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/uninstall

what I do (which is what msconfig would do) is create a folder named Run-, and copy all the keys I don't want in Run to Run-, so that the keys are still here and easily accessible, incase something you take out breaks something..
-Jason

voidedwarrenty

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
I have a question myself, is there a way to automatically open the registry to a certain key, like "regedit HLKM\Software\Microsoft" so you will be at the specified location when regedit opens..
If my question is not clear, let me know..

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Not that I know of

I hate having to hit 10 million little + signs, to get to a folder simply to change 1 whole string

It's all good ^_^

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
There are a bunch of nice little tools for editing startup fucntions in windows. My favorite is StartupCPL which installs itself right into your Control Panel. It adds some nice functionality in that you can move startup proggies between the various registry locations (hklm, hkcu, startup etc.) and it lets you temporarily disable things without deleting them from the registry (in case your system goes broken).

You can get it at...
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml