A Cardboard Computer: The Recompute PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightfoot__

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Did you even read the article? I could see how this would work. I would want a slow speed 80mm fan to help with a little cooling though. Simple a laptop disguised as a cardboard desktop.

EntropyMu

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
What temperature does the white glue start to melt/catch fire?

It doesn't look all that green to me, looks like lots of custom cardboard production. Metal can be recycled too, I thought.

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
What is happening to our world? What idiot comes up with this stuff? It's like bizzaro world...when is this over-exaggerated environmental nonsense going to end?!?!?!

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I always figured it was good to have some metal around the PC components to prevent electromagnetic damage and corruption.

I find it hard to see the "green" in this. I thought saving the planet was using one sheet of toilet paper, two if it is a really bad crap. This is why I never believe anyone who must proclaim they love nature. If it takes a proclamation to assuage one's guilt, they likely know they are lacking. Cardboard comes from some place, I seriously doubt the people getting this cardboard, even if it is recycled, are reducing the amount of tree's the paper industry is going to use. Thus, the environment is not any greener from the use of it.

krashnicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
They should make a cardboard case like they make paper counter tops. Something like this http://www.richlite.com/countertop/

I am sure it could be molded to any shape desired and have a very finished look. They would be scratch and heat resistant. Also it could contain recycled material.

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Now that would be one of the best ideas i've ever seen recently. If it was readily available, I'd get one today.

bone squat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Retarded. As far as I know, metal can be recycled just as much if not moreso than cardboard. (probably equal). Metal is more durable, more heat resistant; you can discharge yourself on a metal case before working on said computer. Metal cases won't as easily burn in a house fire. Cardboard looks stupid, is a stupid idea, will burn more easily, won't last long, if it happened to be knocked over your computer could easily be trashed. Cardboard computer sounds like it IS for the stupid Mac community for the idiots who like that smug young douche with the gay youthful face. This cardboard PC is not green. It is a dull brownish color. I hate the whole green scene. It ticks me off. Whatever happened to man dominating the planet in any means necessary? Why all about efficiency and stupid power savings? So you save $20 a year? That's stupid. Anyone who likes this cardboard PC should live in a cardboard box.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I honestly cannot see exactly how one could proclaim this sort of case as "green." If this was marketed as an artistic case, I could've accepted that. But as trying to be environmentally-friendly, this is likely anything but.

While it might not burn at a temperature that plastics melt, I'm pretty sure it'll still wear out far quicker, and be far more susceptible to water damage, such as even just damp air. Plus, it'd be impossible to keep clean; invariably, I can see this case being more likely to be thrown away rather than recycled compared to a metal case, which is equally as recyclable, if not more given that metal tends to cost more to produce new than paper products, yet both cost much closer to each other to recycle.

Basically, I see this just as a novelty case made to fleece some naive people of their money and nothing more.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I honestly cannot see exactly how one could proclaim this sort of case as "green." If this was marketed as an artistic case, I could've accepted that. But as trying to be environmentally-friendly, this is likely anything but.

While it might not burn at a temperature that plastics melt, I'm pretty sure it'll still wear out far quicker, and be far more susceptible to water damage, such as even just damp air. Plus, it'd be impossible to keep clean; invariably, I can see this case being more likely to be thrown away rather than recycled compared to a metal case, which is equally as recyclable, if not more given that metal tends to cost more to produce new than paper products, yet both cost much closer to each other to recycle.

Basically, I see this just as a novelty case made to fleece some naive people of their money and nothing more.

Cwize1

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
It is not just heat which is a problem, what about static electricity? Cases are made out of metal as they don't build up static electricity. One tiny little spark of static and you can royally screw your computer. Let alone the massive sparks cardboard could create. Metal cases also provide a common ground for motherboard, PSU and every other component in the computer. Some components may be expecting this and could be damaged in some circumstances without it.

In short, say goodbye to your warranty!

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Bone Squat[/nom]^ Nice double post King. Impressive.[/citation]
What can I say? I felt it worth saying more than once. ;) (in seriousness, I blame my Internet connection)

[citation][nom]Cwize1[/nom]It is not just heat which is a problem, what about static electricity?[/citation]
Ah, yes, I neglected to mention this issue as well. The distinct non-conductivity of cardboard, I think, would also make this a highly impractical material. Even if the lack of grounding for the parts while they were operating wasn't good enough, it'd also make things a bit more complicated while dealing with installing parts, as you wouldn't have a convenient place to attach your grounding wrist strap.

BufferUpchuck

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
for likely marketing-aesthetics reasons, sff cases are plastic not metal. otherwise, there's little point in replacing *some* of the steel in the Pc (psu case, screws, etc still remain steel)
static: Do plastic sff cases they pose static hazards, or are they made similar to anti-static (plastic) bags?
the point about damp or dog p33 damage may be correct, though corrugated mfrs have varied products. i don't know if this PC case could be made of the cardboard used to ship veggies.
PS. question: "what is happening to this world? what kind of idiots don't even want to try making things better?" (answer: rush zombies)

Richeemxx

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]justjc[/nom]The Recompute isn't the only cartboard computer case, there is also the cardboardcase http://www.core77.com/greenergadge [...] ojectid=35Both, and a lot of other enviromentally friendly ideas, can be seen at http://www.core77.com/greenergadgets/index.php where you can also vote for which idea you like best.[/citation]

As I've said people have been using cardboard cases for years but that is one heck of a cardboard case. IMO at least it has some sense of design. That other thing on the other hand doesn't. You might as well just leave to mobo in the box it came in, add a couple fans here and there and leave your psu on the desk. At least then you aren't wasting the boxes you've got and supposedly going "greener".

Status
Not open for further replies.