A quick stupid question...

G

Hey peeps. I was just wondering about the Atholon XP+ proc. It's "TAILORED" for WinXP, so I was wondering does it run WELL with other Win versions? Like ME (CRAP!) or Win2K? Cuz I've been hearing some very bad things about WinXP and might install Win2K Pro instead on my new PC which has an Atholon XP+ proc.
So if anyone know please let me know.
Thanx!

G

The cpu hasnt been 'tailerd' for any OS; its just marketing. At the very best, some built-in winXP apps will make use of the SSE instruction supported by the Athlon XP, but of course your cpu will run 98/ME/w2k just as fine. As it will run linux btw. If you dont like win XP, just install win2K, though XP works very fine for me. Dont believe everything you here, try it yourself, and make up your own mind. If you buy an XP licence, it will also allow you to install W2K instead.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
that is the one problem with "naming" your product after another product, you get rumours like this...
no... it will most likely work as well on 2000 as XP, but not 9x (95, 98, ME) but only because those OSs simply don't work well (IMO) , in any situation.

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
#1: The Athlon XP hasn't been "tailored" to anything. In the Athlon XP, "XP" stands for eXtreme Performance, while in Windows XP, XP stands for eXPerience.
#2: Sufficed to say, what you've been hearing about WinXP is nonsense. Go with with WinXP if you haven't bought the OS yet. I have every single version of Windows since Windows 3.1 and I have to say that WinXP is among the best (if not THE BEST).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
What? No way, windows 1.0 was the best... way back in the day... '85... has anyone actually used Win 1.0?
(NOTE: for people who have difficulty interpreting sarcasm on forums, this is sarcastic)

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What? No way, windows 1.0 was the best... way back in the day... '85... has anyone actually used Win 1.0?
(NOTE: for people who have difficulty interpreting sarcasm on forums, this is sarcastic)
There is a place and a time for sarcasm and this isn't one of them. I was completely serious about Windows XP being an excellent operating system.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
well, i apoligize then,

... bu my operating systems course prof, makes sarcastic comments about MS OSs all the time... and i pay for that... which is more appropriate? (mind you i find it helps in a otherwise rather dry course...)

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
XP is just more amd marketing. I think it's great that they are starting to realize they need to do some shady things to sell more cpu's to unknowlagable consumers. XP allows then to latch off the windows marketing machine (they are not the only ones who have used XP in a product name) and the 'pr rating' allows their processors to 'seem' to be on par with intel's, at least in regards to mhz. All they need now is some blue men.

<i>The devil's advocate</i>