Sign in with
Your question

Hammer is being Hyped too much !

Last response: in CPUs
January 19, 2002 2:21:12 PM

Yes all you people saying you cant wait for the Hammer...'gonna kick the P4 etc...'.

The processor has not been released yet ! There havent been any benchmarks yet !
Speculative benchmarks from sites like <A HREF="http://www.zive.cz/H/PCtuning/AR.asp?ARI=103690&CHID=4&..." target="_new">these</A> are absolute crap and just spreads rumours around the web claiming the Hammer is going to crush all other processors.

Comments from Jerry Sanders like these dont help either:

<i>"Anyone who believes that Intel is not losing market share to AMD must also believe in the tooth fairy."

"When we get to the Hammer we'll see another massive, massive performance advantage."</i>Sanders expects very big things from Hammer in 2003, calling it the <i>"... industry barn-burner in 2003."</i>

He is obviously hyping the processor so that kids like us think AMD have got this secret super processor, that is going to whoop Intel. I wonder how long he can keep spewing this marketing drivel out of his mouth.

Dont get me wrong I love AMD but all this hype is really unescessary. Best count your chickens when they are hatched eh Jerry ?

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

More about : hammer hyped

January 19, 2002 2:36:26 PM

You can't compare the P4 to the Hammer. The Hammer will be an 8th generation processor while the P4 is a 7th generation processor. Comparing the Hammer to the P4 is like comparing the P4 to the P3.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2002 3:02:49 PM

It's always the same thing in this forum before the release of a new processor. Go back 2 or 3 months, it was the same thing but about the Northwood. Same thing for the Athlon XP. You can't do anything about that except for making your own mind! If you think that the future Hammer will not be that powerfull, fine! The same things was said for the Northwood and, as I know, the Northwood didn't "kicks AMD's a**" either! We will only know the truth when the processor will be released.

AMD vs Intel : the misinformation war! :tongue:
Related resources
January 19, 2002 3:20:39 PM

Well, I'd have to disagree. This is on the principle that The current Athlon is a K7, true, but until the P4 showed up, all that there was to compare it to was the P3, a 6th gen. chip. I'd have to say that when the Hammer comes out, it will be compared to the P4, purely because it will be AMD's flagship processor, much like the P4 is Intel's current flagship.

-SammyBoy
January 19, 2002 4:18:57 PM

I dont think Hammer numbers r that far fetched at all
keep in mind that a "simple" iprovment like adding 256kb of L2 cache helped the NorthWood gain 10% prefomance (all IPC).

the Hammer Is much more - with ingreated memory controler, a gratly improved brench pradiction unit, 8-th genration 128bit memory interface, 800Mhz FSB (sepculation), Large workload TLB and more L2 cache (probably). the Hammer is likly to have at list 30-40% more IPC then the athlon.

a 2GHZ Athlon will have the RP rating of 2500... increse that by some 30-40% and your getting to Hammer Speculated Rp rating of 3400... actually its not speculated - its informaion from AMD's last anlyst meeting.. and the CPU Spec_int of 1300+ is also prodected info given by AMD.

its not a Super Chip coz it still has K-7 Execution Units... But keep in mind those execution units r still the Top_Of_The line X86 execution units unmetched even by the P4 Execution engine and far from being fully utilized...
January 19, 2002 4:35:22 PM

1 Hammer will be release in 1 year a whole year.
2 Hammer are desing to be a wokstation cpu like itanium and will be compare with itanium.
3 Intel will release it own P4 mobile, is P4 celeron, is presscott (P4 0.09 micron) a new itaniun, banias is be surly release maybe even there will be pc 1200 quad channel (if intel still support RAMBUS) SUN will release also a new cpu.ALL will have faster cpu.Intel in the market for quite sometime and the been allwayse 1 of the fastest this goes also for AMD.

That is a reply for the whole forum

http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?publish_comp...
January 19, 2002 5:03:31 PM

well... Hammer is ALSO for workstaitions it is also for Desktop and Mobile markets... you see, the use of x86 code gives AMD the option to relese a Hammer for each segment of the market with slight changes to its core... if you take a look at AMDs RoadMap:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,...

AMD do plan Hammer for Dsektop And Mobile Market (codename ClawHammer).

though Hammer was Devlopted with Multi-Processor systems as a guide line... its actualyy a Huge leap over Intels SMP (semtrical Multi-Processor) and will probably be favorite processor among Server WorkStation and Rendering Farms etc...
January 19, 2002 5:06:14 PM

hehe:

Quote:

1 Hammer will be release in 1 year a whole year.

Wrong, according to AMD's latest schedule, the Hammer should come out by the end of THIS year.

Quote:

2 Hammer are desing to be a wokstation cpu like itanium and will be compare with itanium.

WRONG AGAIN! AMD will release two Hammers, the SledgeHammer (the competitor to the Itanium) and the ClawHammer (to replace the K7-series of processors)

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 19, 2002 6:42:12 PM

I'll get all excited if I damn well want to. :smile:
OK, I don't think the Hammer is going to be the end of Intel, but I do think that it will be a great chip.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
January 19, 2002 6:50:24 PM

When is the Hammer going to be released into mass production anyway? Remember that, following Moore's Law, in 12-18 months Intel will be at approximately double the current frequency. This means at least 4.4GHz specifications, and any overclockability being a plus. Will the Hammer beat a 4.4GHz Pentium 4 in performance? I thought its PR rating was somewhere down near 3700?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
January 19, 2002 6:56:17 PM

3400+ in December.
Pentium 4's will be at 4.4Ghz in 12-18 months hu? That's good to know. :wink:

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
January 19, 2002 7:01:39 PM

I doubt Intel will be up to 4.4GHz by December. Sure enough, AMD and Intel will still be neck-to-neck for another year.

January 19, 2002 7:04:44 PM

Last I checked it was not going into mass production until mid 2003. Engineering samples were scheduled for December of 2002. Has this changed? If not, that PR3400 will likely be competing with something near the 4.4GHz range from Intel.

The AMD processors that use a PR rating have performance fairly close to the Northwood Pentium 4 processors at clockspeeds equal to that PR rating. This leads me to question the performance of a PR3400 processor when compared against the latest 4.4GHz Pentium 4, unless AMD plans to modify their PR rating system again.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
January 19, 2002 7:50:49 PM

The technology for Intel to go to 4.4Ghz in 18 months is there but I doubt they will do it unless the Hammer processor is a serious threat. I think 3Ghz will be the max Intel will go with the P4 at the end of the year and probably reaching 3.6 Ghz by Q203.
Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't seen any roadmaps showing a 4.4Ghz P4 in 18 months.

AMD MAN: In addtion dont take AMD's roadmaps as the gospel truth there is always delays when releasing new processors i.e manufacturing issues, supply demand problems and general teething problems etc. This is why I believe we will probably see limited samples of Clawhammer processors in Q402 with mass production happening in 2003.

I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mr_gobbledegook on 01/19/02 05:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 19, 2002 7:54:22 PM

Intel always keeps up with Moore's Law. After all, Moore was one of Intel's founders. While the law was originally in regards to the transistor count, it has expanded to a new meaning over the years. The common definition now states that processor performance will double every 12-18 months. So you can absolutely count on a 4.4GHz Pentium 4 in 12-18 months.

-Raystonn

January 19, 2002 8:10:25 PM

Clawhammer will be compared to the P4 because it will eventually replace the Athlon.

The Clawhammer will be AMD's top of the range desktop CPU while the P4 will be Intel's top of the range CPU both competing in the desktop sector (which is predomintely 32bit at the moment).

Where things get a little fuzzy is in the workstation and server sector. The Hammer will be competing against the Xeon and the Itainum since Hammer has 64 bit capability.

Remember AMD designed the Hammer processors to be a top down approach covering all sectors from servers to workstations, home PCs and even the mobile sector.

I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>
January 19, 2002 8:26:52 PM

well... the Hammer will pop out in the End of 2002 or begining of 2003, AMDs Roadmap says so (note - AMDs roadmap refers to mass production not samples) in AMDs x86-64 FAQ they say to excpect the Hammer coming out somtime around the end of 2002...
the Hammer should pop out at 2Ghz bearing the RP rating of 3400 (acording to AMDs analyst meeting) Hammer should be quite scalable haveing abit longer pipline of 12 stages (and a Vastly improve brench prediction unit to handle it)
and using latest HiP7 or HiP8 Motorola/AMD SOI process which may give AMD 30% more sclablty over intels 0.13u process (Intel P860) due to the use of SOI and low-k features.

so you can excpect Hammer ramping up the clock speed quite fast (though still probably not as fast as intel) with a Scheduled 0.09SOI die shrink at mid 2003 acording to AMDs Roadmap....

if AMD did a good Circuitry design as they did on the athlon - then longer pipline should result in around 20% clocking abiltys the HiP7 or HiP8 (which is curently in use by Motorola) giveing it an extra push of 20-30%...
you can pretty much excpect Hammer flexing its Muscles up to 3GHZ + using 0.13 (RP rating of 5100?) and much more after the die shrink...

that is if evrything goes as planed (god knows how many could have gone wrong for AMD and went right so far).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 01/20/02 00:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 19, 2002 9:23:44 PM

just another coment - Hammer has been prototype samplying at list since the summer of 2001... in the summer of 2001 it had a small test production line which could had been viewed by ppl in FAB 30 at dresden germany... <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 01/20/02 01:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 19, 2002 9:54:23 PM

Intel is more or less folowing the famous law... but they already stated that 3ghz Northwoods will surface "only" at the end of 2002... the northwood most likly wont be able to attain clock speeds of greater then 3.5GHZ (and even this would have to be super cooled due to the high voltage... thats a side affect to intels MHZ and high transistor count route) the northwood die shrink to 0.09 plus the presentaition of Hyper-Threaded P4 should take place at q'1 2003...
January 20, 2002 1:15:10 AM

Nothing on Intel road maps put anything close to a 4.4GHz CPU at the release of the ClawHammer in Q4 '02/Q1 '03. Current roadmaps show a 3GHz P4 in Q4. Just because the P4 core may be capable of more, doesn't mean Intel will make it so. If they max out the clock speed of the current core before the next is ready, and AMD is able to offer a competative product, they'll have another pIII 1.13GHz fiasco on their hands.

Of course, AMD could force this scenario on them again if the projected ClawHammer PR at release proves realistic and it scales as rapidly as they are projecting it will, but its all extreme speculation at this point, as the CPU is at least 9 months off, so everything argued here and in this entire thread is basically moot. =) The P4, nForce, et al, should show everyone how irrelevant press releases and analysts meetings and leaked white papers are when it comes to the real world. I'll eagerly await the release of the ClawHammer before passing judgement.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-
January 20, 2002 1:46:35 AM

In one corner we have you saying that Intel is going to be at 4.4 Ghz in 12-18 months leaving the PR rating far behind and in the other we have the AMD people speculating about the Hammer and how it will be at 3 Ghz with a notable speed increase making it clobber the P4.

I say phoey...

I've heard this all before, first you all come forward with the great Mhz improvement, then the massive 50% improvement in performance. I have yet to see any of these ever come true.

Then comes the massive overclockability. I'm sure that will be the next thing we talk about with the Hammer.

Too much hype. I agree.

As for Moore's law, which processor is the P4 2.2 Ghz and the Athlon XP 2000+ TWICE as fast as (performance wise) and how long ago was it released?

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
January 20, 2002 2:06:14 AM

Dude shut up Thing is When P4 was going to be out the Intel did the same thing and when Northwood was going to come out they did the same crap. And I hope the it beats p4 for some time so it will force intel to make a 8 gen cpu.
January 20, 2002 7:33:13 AM

dunnu to me it seems that the speculations r well based... for instnce it is INTELS ROADMAP that states a 3GHZ Northwood around the end of 2002...
anther thing is - its AMDS ANLYST MEETING that states Hammer will come out at 2Ghz with an RP rating of 3400...
and the SPEC Int_Cpu score was giving in MPF2001 by Fred Weber AMDs architecture department...

about Hammer scaling well a base a 30%-50% more scaling then the athlon sue to the use of HiP7 SOI Process from information like <A HREF="http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2000_11_25_AMD_proce..."" target="_new"> this </A> those guys now what there talking about...
and from the fact that 2 stages longer pipline is used for only 1 thing - clock speed... which if AMD did a good job should translate into 20%+/- more clockablty...
January 20, 2002 7:50:41 AM

1.5 Ghz Northwood in the Begining of 2002.
3 Ghz Northwood at the end of 2002.
-Will the 3 Ghz be 100% faster?

1.6 Ghz AXP in the begining of 2002.
Tbred/Barton/Clawhammer at end of 2002.
-Will they be 100% faster?

If we go out another 6 months will they be 100% faster?

So lets stop quoting Moore's law for something it really isn't. Even if we want to drop down to the common 50% boost in performance argument for the next generation processor, all I ask is has it ever really happened? We always claim that the next P4 and the next Athlon will be better than sex. The next chipset, new memory, etc etc.

It ends up being better, but we overhype this stuff way too much.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
January 20, 2002 7:59:40 AM

Quote:
1.5 Ghz Northwood in the Begining of 2002.
3 Ghz Northwood at the end of 2002.
-Will the 3 Ghz be 100% faster?

I will ignore the fact that it is 2.2GHz, not 1.5GHz. Is it 100% faster? Yes. Will you notice a 100% improvement in system performance? Not unless you upgrade every other component in your system to components that are twice as fast as well. The processor offers twice the performance. The system may or may not be able to make full use of this performance however.

Quote:
1.6 Ghz AXP in the begining of 2002.
Tbred/Barton/Clawhammer at end of 2002.
-Will they be 100% faster?

These are different processors (unless the only difference is the die-shrink.) I do not think you can compare clockspeeds across different processors in this manner.

Quote:
If we go out another 6 months will they be 100% faster?

Moore's Law stated between 12 months and 18 months, not 6 months.

-Raystonn

January 20, 2002 9:18:44 AM

Face it guys... not much is going to change. While we argue about the good and bad sides of AMD and Intel the fact is - Intel will still sell millions of CPU's to the uninformed general public who when they hear the words 'intel - the center of your digital universe' think that they are getting the best system in the world even though it comes in a hewlett packard along with a lame motherboard, integrated video and the cheapest parts they can get away with. Others will buy Intel products because of their stability and thermal safety. AMD will continue to offer a better price/performance ratio even with their 'hammer' line and we will all be reading and arguing over mostly the same stuff. The competition won't change much and neither company is going to blow the other out of the water. Even "IF" the new AMD hammer is a far superior CPU to anything Intel has on the market, Intel still will be able to be profitable because of their marketing and reputation. Nothing will change. Hammer is definitely hyped up too much. I am an AMD fan so don't get me wrong, I am as excited as the next guy to see some cool technology but not much is going to change between Intel and AMD.

As long as it's funny it's okay.
January 20, 2002 9:36:12 AM

Dunno... the K-7 Hammer was pretty much the first AMD modern CPU to put the Heat on intel... its true that most ppl today dont know about IPC and that clock speed is only half of what your gettin'... but AMD's RP rating system seems to work good amound the crowd and this will only get bigger in effect as K-8 Hammer will get the Media attintion to the clockspeed*ICP isue... and im not talking about THG or anandtech - im talking about PCmag and other such commen amoung crowed media...
there will be no way getting around the fact that a 2GHZ CPU outpreformes a 3GHZ CPU... if anf only if that happens...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 01/20/02 02:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 20, 2002 10:59:23 AM

A 2Ghz leap from now and 18 months ?..thats like approximately 120Mhz every month. So by March we should expect 2.4Ghz P4 and by June a 2.8 Ghz P4 ? I haven't seen Intel ramp up the clockspeed of a processor that fast before. I will have to wait till 2H02 before I believe you on that one. We will just have to see if Intel are going to be conservative or just let the P4 go wild.

I have always been lead to think by various hardware sites (CNET, Anandtech, PC Magazine) that Intel will only reach 3Ghz by the end of this year. I think Intel are likely to keep clockspeeds as low as possible so that they can maximise sales. The ramp up in clockspeed will be determined by the max limit of the .13 micron process. We have already seen P4's clocked to over 3Ghz. What is the max the Northwood core can go up to ? I would think it is probably around 3.6 Ghz after that they will have to move to .09 micron.

January 20, 2002 11:02:10 AM

Quote:

Juin, I know you have a hard time with english, but read my lips.....actually!

Écoutent vers le haut, le marteau est PROCHAIN PROCESSEUR DE BUREAU d'AMD's. Il sera pour les serveurs ET L'CAppareil DE BUREAU. Il N'EST PAS CONÇU POUR CONCURRENCER L'CItanium! Il peut offrir l'exécution 64bit si quelqu'un veut se servir d'elle. C'CEst AMD TOUT AUTOUR DE PROCHAINE PUCE DE GEN.

Thanks babelfish.

To those of us who speak english, this is what I told him.

Listen up, the hammer is AMD's NEXT DESKTOP PROCESSOR. It will be for servers AND THE DESKTOP. It is NOT DESIGNED TO COMPETE WITH THE ITANIUM! It can offer 64bit performance if someone wants to make use of it. IT IS AMD'S ALL AROUND NEXT GEN CHIP.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 20, 2002 11:03:57 AM

Quote:
Will the Hammer beat a 4.4GHz Pentium 4 in performance? I thought its PR rating was somewhere down near 3700?

Upon release it will be around 2400-3700, this is in less than 10 months according to amd, which fits very nicely in moores law for the p4.

<speculation> I bet the hammer will cost a pretty penny less than the competing p4.<speculation>

January 20, 2002 11:27:42 AM

Quote:

<speculation> I bet the hammer will cost a pretty penny less than the competing p4.<speculation>

whats what i thought two... implementing the memory controler and SEE2, i thought hammers die size would be quite large.
then i heard rumers its going to quite small and the latest is <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/20010201.htm" target="_new"> this</A> piece of info supostly taken from some AMD information pages that The .09 micron Clawhammer will have a 64 square millimeter die, Thoroughbred-S(0.09) will have a 50-square millimeter die, comparing to an 80 square millimeter die when Intel brings out its .09 micron technology, Northwood-S.

so its some what bigger then Athlon but still smaller then Northwood... i dont find this suprising or hard to belive since AMDs K-8 is mostly bassed on the K-7 (all excution units decoder etc...) which already have a very low transistor count (half or pentium 4s...). and AMD have allways been good when it comes to Circuitry design... making thier processors with much less transistors then intel...

purly on the fabrication side - it seems Hammer will be cheaper to menufactor then the pentium 4...
January 20, 2002 4:22:19 PM

well, with hype, there is always anti-hype... personally i am excited, not because of specs, or rumours, but because i like intensive market competition. The PC market would suck if either company won out... and since it would be near impossible for a new company to arise... (shear req'd capital) meh, i just hope neither company "disappears"

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
January 21, 2002 2:56:00 AM

Wrong, according to AMD's latest schedule, the Hammer should come out by the end of THIS year

plus delay like all roadmap.

WRONG AGAIN! AMD will release two Hammers, the SledgeHammer (the competitor to the Itanium) and the ClawHammer (to replace the K7-series of processors

At a very high price like itanium

http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?publish_comp...
January 21, 2002 3:16:29 AM

Quote:
plus delay like all roadmap.

In other words, Intel has the same "delay" on their roadmaps. Nothing's for certain, but it seems like a safe bet Clawhammer will be released at the same time as the P4 3GHz.

Quote:

That's pure speculation--and very badly founded at that. AMD is marketing Clawhammer as a desktop solution to compete with the P4, and they publicly stated long ago that they <i>always</i> keep their prices lower than the competition from Intel.

I don't think the Clawhammer will outright crush Intel, but it will probably compete very well with the P4.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
January 21, 2002 4:46:51 AM

"Well, I'd have to disagree. This is on the principle that The current Athlon is a K7, true, but until the P4 showed up, all that there was to compare it to was the P3, a 6th gen. chip. I'd have to say that when the Hammer comes out, it will be compared to the P4, purely because it will be AMD's flagship processor, much like the P4 is Intel's current flagship."

what are you tryig to say here, that xp's don't compare to P4's? thats carzy, they are only behind a tad. A P3 allways got slaughted by athlons. So what?
January 21, 2002 7:13:03 AM

you didnt really get what he said:
1. k7 was compared to 6th genration p3 just bcz it was what intel had to offer.
2. P4 is intels 7th genration processor so it compares to AMDs 7gen processor - K7 .
January 21, 2002 8:07:30 AM

Quote:
WRONG AGAIN! AMD will release two Hammers, the SledgeHammer (the competitor to the Itanium) and the ClawHammer (to replace the K7-series of processors

They both share the same archetecture they are both hammers, and since hammers will be for the desktop it is a desktop core, wheres your desktop itanium? YOU are the one whos wrong.

January 21, 2002 8:29:15 AM

i wouldnt say Hammers core was built for desktops in mind... if you look at its main architecture features it seems to have Multi Processor Systems as its main use...
AnandTech:
Quote:

Although the Hammer was designed as a top to bottom solution for the highest end servers down to the smallest notebooks, it's clear that the majority of its design choices were inspired by the workstation/server nature of the CPU. Case in point would be Hammer's multiprocessing capabilities.

some of these features include - Point to Point Bus Via HyperTransport... includeing abilty to snoop on other CPUs Buses in order to see if it has data it needs which then being pased along CPU to CPU the fast HyperTranspor bus.

HT= HyperTransport
AnandTech:
Quote:

Each of the HT links and the memory controller are connected to a crossbar arbiter logic that handles the juggling of all of these requests coming from other CPUs and other logic outside of the CPU. Again the beauty of this is that the performance of the crossbar controller scales with clock speed meaning that the faster the CPU gets, the quicker the crossbar controller can move data between the various HT links and the memory controller. This is a welcome <b>departure from the fixed frequency FSB in conventional systems that does not increase as CPU clock speed goes up.</b>

This method of setting up MP systems without extraordinary requirements on the external chipsets has the potential of finally bringing 2P solutions down to the desktop level. While this may be a stretch, it does seem very plausible given the MP architecture of Hammer.

so you see... the Hammer has Multi-Processing in mind and it seems to by a huge leap over traditional multi-processoring.
ofcourse this doesn't mean that Hammer wont be Great for desktops...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 01/21/02 12:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 21, 2002 8:32:03 AM

Quote:
wouldnt say Hammers core was built for desktops in mind... if you look at its main architecture features it seems to have Multi Processor Systems as its main use...
AnandTech:

IM glad you wouldnt say it, cause neither did I, I said the hammer core would be AMD's desktop chip, making it a desktop processor. I never mentioned what it was designed for.

January 21, 2002 8:45:49 AM

oh... sorry i just thought so since you said:
"it is a desktop core"
i thought you meant - a desktop core with a server version
when in fact it seems to stand the other way around...

just a miss understanding on my part...
January 21, 2002 9:03:33 AM

No problem.

January 21, 2002 12:36:26 PM

Quote:

They both share the same archetecture they are both hammers, and since hammers will be for the desktop it is a desktop core, wheres your desktop itanium? YOU are the one whos wrong.

Wait, Matisaro, what's the difference between SledgeHammer and the ClawHammer then? I've always thought that the SledgeHammer would be a server-class CPU (like the Itanium) and the ClawHammer would be a desktop-class CPU (to replace the current Athlons).

January 21, 2002 12:51:19 PM

One of the major differences will be the SMP capabilities (at least the "supported" SMP capabilities). Sledgehammers will probably be targeted for 4-way or greater multiprocessor servers. Clawhammers, OTOH, look like they're going to start much like the Athlons, first for single-CPU systems only, then later for dual-CPU systems.

This is partly taken from original AMD comments on the Hammer, and by judging by the info posted on the current AMD roadmap. There are actually two Clawhammers listed, a plain-jane Clawhammer (for 4Q02) and a Clawhammer DP (for 1Q03). Sledgehammer MP is supposed to start coming out about the same time as ClawHammer DP.

There may also be other undisclosed differences, like cache size etc. We don't know yet.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
January 21, 2002 2:21:37 PM

The chips themselves will have features enabled/disabled im sure, the point is that the core design should be the same, making them the same family, when juin falsely claims the hammer was designed to take on the itanium, (in a manner meant to mean it will be super spendy and not a desktop processor) he fails to realize(i think anyways) that the hammer core is for both high end and low end servers and desktops, it is a unified core design.

a b à CPUs
January 21, 2002 8:50:04 PM

Hehe, PIII kicks the P4 to the gutter, clock for clock...maybe the Thoroughbred will simialarly outperform the Hammer in 32-bit code.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 21, 2002 9:20:57 PM

Quote:

Hehe, PIII kicks the P4 to the gutter, clock for clock...maybe the Thoroughbred will simialarly outperform the Hammer in 32-bit code.

Hmm, I hope you're wrong though.

!