replacing Dell motherboard

I have an older (almost 3 years) dell dimension 8200. Unfortunately
it has the expensive RDRAM. I was thinking about just buying a new
motherboard and processor. Can that be done and still use the dell
box?

thanks in advacne
tom

spend the $100 and get a new one. finance it with the sale of that pricey
RDRAM!

"Tom Penno" <tom@penno.com> wrote in message
> I have an older (almost 3 years) dell dimension 8200. Unfortunately
> it has the expensive RDRAM. I was thinking about just buying a new
> motherboard and processor. Can that be done and still use the dell
> box?
>
> thanks in advacne
> tom

I sold my 8100 and the XP upgrade and the RDRam upgrade and made enough to
buy a 4550.

Tom
"schnoopy" <schnoopy@loppy.com> wrote in message
> spend the $100 and get a new one. finance it with the sale of that pricey
> RDRAM!
>
> "Tom Penno" <tom@penno.com> wrote in message
>> I have an older (almost 3 years) dell dimension 8200. Unfortunately
>> it has the expensive RDRAM. I was thinking about just buying a new
>> motherboard and processor. Can that be done and still use the dell
>> box?
>>
>> thanks in advacne
>> tom

"Tom Penno" <tom@penno.com> wrote in message
>I have an older (almost 3 years) dell dimension 8200. Unfortunately
> it has the expensive RDRAM. I was thinking about just buying a new
> motherboard and processor. Can that be done and still use the dell
> box?
>
> thanks in advacne
> tom

a new Dell mobo will be fine but a generic board may cause you problems as I
believe the Dell psu connector to the board is modified

The motherboard is proprietary and only available from Dell. Your money
would be better spent applied to a new computer.

Ted Zieglar

"Tom Penno" <tom@penno.com> wrote in message
>I have an older (almost 3 years) dell dimension 8200. Unfortunately
> it has the expensive RDRAM. I was thinking about just buying a new
> motherboard and processor. Can that be done and still use the dell
> box?
>
> thanks in advacne
> tom

Tom,
So I take it that you don't think the RDRAM is worth it. Starts to make
me wonder if the PCI Express is worth it as well? I guess I tend to think
along the lines it's better to get more than I need rather then regretting
later that I didn't get enough. I friend subscribes to the idea that it's
better to buy lower end PC more often that a high end PC that you now need
to keep longer. Perhaps he has a point as your satisfaction with RDRAM seems
to suggest.
Paul

"Tom Penno" <tom@penno.com> wrote in message
>I have an older (almost 3 years) dell dimension 8200. Unfortunately
> it has the expensive RDRAM. I was thinking about just buying a new
> motherboard and processor. Can that be done and still use the dell
> box?
>
> thanks in advacne
> tom

Not on the 8200. The power supply connector is a garden-variety ATX + 12v for
the Pentium 4. Instead, the problems come from replacing the processor
ventilator fan (should you choose to do so), and all the wiring to the front
panel.

If you want a motherboard that would drop right into a Dell 8200 case, consider
a Dell motherboard from an 8300 or 8400. Or spring for a new case, as suggested
by others... Ben Myers