I am currently browsing for a laptop to buy for University and i just needed some help with this purchase.
1. What is your budget?
$750 - $850
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Any would do, not really a priority.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It should be portable but i am mainly going to use it in my dorm. I wont be carrying it around a lot.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Around 3 hours is fine.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes i would like to game but i understand that in my budget i wont be able to play a lot of games on amazing settings. So, stuff like COD, Orange Box, Portal i would like to play them on medium-high settings.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I will be using Photoshop and i will be using this computer for assignments (word, PowerPoint), watching movies, and web designing (Dreamweaver).
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Anything over 250gb is fine.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Newegg.ca or any store site (futureshop's website or besbuy, dell, etc..)
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I would like it to last me all throughout university so, 4-5 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer is sufficient. Not looking for any blu-ray drives.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Other than MSI (i was told to avoid), any brand is fine.
13. What country do you live in?
I live in Canada.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Oh well I too live in Canada mate ^^ So by what I read your budget is 800-850$ and any laptop on the market has everything you are looking so it won't be hard to find one that suits your need. They all got at least 3 hours of battery, they all can play portal or black box or COD, got bigger than 250Gb HDD, and almost all carry a dvd writer in it.
The only thing you have to know is that basically manufacturers make netbook to last at least 6 months, and laptops to last 2 years. After that no warranty applies anymore. If you're looking for a laptop that can live up to 4-5 years it will be based on luck for the most part. The laptop batteries have about 2 years life and I've yet to see batteries that last longer than that. Every friends that got a 2 years old laptop has to work on AC since the battery cannot hold charge anymore or even can't be charged at all. Mine ACER 6930 wouldn't hold charge more than 15 minutes (with a 4400 mAH battery and intergrated graphics on a 15 inches display set at lowest brightness, and all that while browsing with firefox only).
Apart from that usual problem, for the budget you have you can get a core i3-i5, or about any AMD laptop. Just be sure there is a discrete graphic card from ATI or NVIDIA in it since the Intel 3000 chipset is scrap.
The one you are looking at is well priced for a i5. it got a discrete graphic card, enough RAM and more cpu power than you would need. Furthermore I'm aware that for gamers, recommended gaming laptops are Toshiba and Asus. Good choice ^^ But this laptop has these poor warranties:
Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (parts): 1 year
Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (labor): 1 year
But I like this one:
1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty - Drops, Fire, Spill, Surge
Did you know that some Asus laptop have backlit keyboards for under 1000$ ??