PCI Input Device Error

I recently re-installed WinXP. Everything is working fine except for
an exclamation point in Device Manager on a PCI Input Device. Under
Properties it says the location of this device is PCI Slot 3 (PCI bus
2, device 9, function 1). Would that mean the third slot under the
AGP slot ? If so, that is my sound card and the sound is working
fine. Anyone know why it might be giving me this error ? Also, I did
note that when I tried to update the drivers from my Dell Resource CD
after the re-installation of WinXP the audio drivers did not execute
properly and not until I did a Windows Update did the audio start to
work on my system. If anyone knows what is happening please chime in!
Thanks!

Mike

Dimension 8200
Win XP SP1
512 Meg RDRAM
GeForce FX5900XT
Soundblaster Live
7 answers Last reply
More about input device error

    Maybe you forgot to install the chipset software before you installed the
    drivers?

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:40:04 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Maybe you forgot to install the chipset software before you installed the
    >drivers?

    Thanks for the response. You know I did not install the chipset
    software. Silly me! But for some reason I can not find the drivers
    on my Resource CD. When I searched the Dell web site for the drivers
    (using my service tag number) they do not have any chipset drivers
    available. Am I missing something here ? I've since visited the
    Intel web site and downloaded the Intel 850/850E chipset drivers but
    am a bit confused why they were not posted on the Dell web site.
    Would they use the drivers provided by the WinXP installation ?

    Mike

    http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/inf.htm

    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:40:04 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Maybe you forgot to install the chipset software before you installed the
    >>drivers?
    >>

    > Thanks for the response. You know I did not install the chipset
    > software. Silly me! But for some reason I can not find the drivers
    > on my Resource CD. When I searched the Dell web site for the drivers
    > (using my service tag number) they do not have any chipset drivers
    > available. Am I missing something here ? I've since visited the
    > Intel web site and downloaded the Intel 850/850E chipset drivers but
    > am a bit confused why they were not posted on the Dell web site.
    > Would they use the drivers provided by the WinXP installation ?
    >
    > Mike

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:40:04 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    I went ahead and installed the Chipset Drives but I am still getting
    the message that WinXP has found new hardare; a PCI Input Device.
    Follow this link to view a screen shot of my Device Manager ...

    http://www.clanicd.com/mike/Device_Manager.jpg

    And here is a screen shot of the PCI Input Device Properites ...

    http://www.clanicd.com/mike/PCI_Input_Device.jpg

    Any ideas why this is happening ? From what I can tell PCI Slot 3 is
    my Soundcard and it's working fine. Thanks.

    Mike

    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:40:04 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > I went ahead and installed the Chipset Drives but I am still getting
    > the message that WinXP has found new hardare; a PCI Input Device.
    > Follow this link to view a screen shot of my Device Manager ...
    >
    > http://www.clanicd.com/mike/Device_Manager.jpg
    >
    > And here is a screen shot of the PCI Input Device Properites ...
    >
    > http://www.clanicd.com/mike/PCI_Input_Device.jpg
    >
    > Any ideas why this is happening ? From what I can tell PCI Slot 3 is
    > my Soundcard and it's working fine. Thanks.
    >
    > Mike

    It's your game controller for your SBLive! sound card. You should have a
    'gameport' entrie listed below the SBLive!. I'm using that card with WinXP
    Pro....

    Possible?

    Stew

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:16:54 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >It's your game controller for your SBLive! sound card. You should have a
    >'gameport' entrie listed below the SBLive!. I'm using that card with WinXP
    >Pro....
    >
    >Possible?
    >

    >Stew

    Thank you Stew! Your the MAN! For some reason the drivers on the Dell
    Resource CD would not install properly so I downloaded another set
    from the Dell web site. This time I actually got the option of what
    to install and I selected the Game controller and Wham! it worked :-)
    BTW, I searched a lot of the Dell Forums for the last 2 days and came
    up empty. Once again thanks!

    Mike

    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:16:54 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    > <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >

    >>It's your game controller for your SBLive! sound card. You should have a
    >>'gameport' entrie listed below the SBLive!. I'm using that card with
    >>WinXP
    >>Pro....
    >>
    >>Possible?
    >>

    >>Stew
    >
    > Thank you Stew! Your the MAN! For some reason the drivers on the Dell
    > Resource CD would not install properly so I downloaded another set
    > from the Dell web site. This time I actually got the option of what
    > to install and I selected the Game controller and Wham! it worked :-)
    > BTW, I searched a lot of the Dell Forums for the last 2 days and came
    > up empty. Once again thanks!
    >
    > Mike

    Not 'the man', I just "know" the man, and there are a few of them in this
    group. In any event, I'm happy for your success.

    Glad it worked out.

    Stew

Dell PCI Devices Computers