T3 to treo 650

April 12, 2005 1:07:51 PM

Would any of you get rid of your t3 and buy a treo 650? I know that
my t3 has double the memory and a bigger screen, but it looks like the
treo may sway me to the smartphone world. Anyone do this switch?

More about : treo 650

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:37:14 AM

"Fuzz" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:D thn519r0eh6qp553lcs7358h2305l8tdj@4ax.com...
> Would any of you get rid of your t3 and buy a treo 650? I know that
> my t3 has double the memory and a bigger screen, but it looks like the
> treo may sway me to the smartphone world. Anyone do this switch?

I have a T3 and have considered this move. The thing holding me back is
those damn tiny keys on the 650 thumb-keyboard. I personally would like to
see a Treo with a regular (and larger) telephone keypad along with one of
the text input programs you see on cellular phones. I really can't see
myself inputting large amounts of text using the 650 keypad

Cheers
TC
April 15, 2005 2:15:50 PM

I went from a Zire 72 to a Treo 650. The smaller screen hasn't bothered me
at all. In fact, I think it looks clearer than the Zire's screen, I guess
due to the pixels being packed in closer. I was a bit concered about the
memory issue with what I had heard about the NVFS using larger blocks. I
will say I don't have as much free memory as I did on the Zire, but some
judisicous use of a 1 gig SD card and I haven't had any problems.

The small keys on the thumb keyboard did take a bit getting used to, but now
I can enter information about as fast as I could with Grafitti 1, and I was
fairly quick with that. I installed the G14OS54 patch (
http://yahm.palmoid.com/G14OS54.zip) along with Graffiti Anywhere and can
now enter data with Grafitti 1 like the good old days. For those times when
I need to enter a large amount of text, I use my wireless IR keyboard.

For me, it came down to having a very reliable means of collecting e-mail on
the Palm. I looked at getting a bluetooth phone to use with Zire 72, but
decided the implementation of phone, e-mail/IM/web, PDA and other
applications on the Treo 650 was better than using a combination of separate
PDA/Phone.

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Fuzz" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> news:D thn519r0eh6qp553lcs7358h2305l8tdj@4ax.com...
>> Would any of you get rid of your t3 and buy a treo 650? I know that
>> my t3 has double the memory and a bigger screen, but it looks like the
>> treo may sway me to the smartphone world. Anyone do this switch?
>
> I have a T3 and have considered this move. The thing holding me back is
> those damn tiny keys on the 650 thumb-keyboard. I personally would like to
> see a Treo with a regular (and larger) telephone keypad along with one of
> the text input programs you see on cellular phones. I really can't see
> myself inputting large amounts of text using the 650 keypad
>
> Cheers
> TC

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:23:07 PM

Fuzz wrote:
> Would any of you get rid of your t3 and buy a treo 650? I know that
> my t3 has double the memory and a bigger screen, but it looks like the
> treo may sway me to the smartphone world. Anyone do this switch?

Yup, I did the switch a month ago, never going back. I never took much
advantage of the big T3 screen. Never wrote much Graffiti, either. The
larger memory on the T3 was nice, but I still haven't exceeded my Treo
650 memory despite some sizable medical database and textbook programs
on mine, mainly on the Treo and not the expansion card I have.

The Treo is fantastic. I didn't just swap my T3 for the Treo, I swapped
my cellphone, my beeper, and my T3 for my Treo 650. Now that's a great
swap. Furthermore, I sold my T3 on eBay and got nearly all the Treo
money back.

Most of the partners in my medical practice traded their beepers and
cellphones for Blackberries. But a couple savvy ones among us went for
the Treo instead and now we are the envy of the others. They still have
to carry their PDA's (Dell Axim, iPaq, Palm's) plus their Blackberry, we
do not.

The Treo took a while to configure and get used to, but now it's quite
nifty. Never going back.

-- Josh Steinberg (MD), Syracuse
!