yet more unsubstantiated juicy rumors! (t-bred)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/20010203.htm" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/20010203.htm</A>

t-bred to 2600+ in Q3 2002, and a 1800+ duron with 266fsb :)

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Does a 1800+ duron run at the same clock speed as a 1800+ XP, or does it run faster to make the performance rating equal?

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
what are the actual mhz ratings? The pr rating is useless and gives no information whatsoever.

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
<<what are the actual mhz ratings? The pr rating is useless and gives no information whatsoever.>>>

Actually intel HOLLOW-HERTZ is just as useless as the PR RATING.... P4's perform like dogs if the need 500 + MHZ to beat AMD..that makes there MHZ rating BS....

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
and a 500mhz g4 beats a 500mhz athlon. SO I guesse amd's mhz rating is bunk too. Or maybe just your explanation.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
awwww poor thing.
well it looks as if AMD is keeping the same scale going, so....

1500+ = 1333Mhz
1600+ = 1400Mhz
1700+ = 1466Mhz
1800+ = 1533Mhz
1900+ = 1600Mhz
2000+ = 1666Mhz
2100+ = 1733Mhz
2200+ = 1800Mhz
2300+ = 1866Mhz
2400+ = 1933Mhz
2500+ = 2000Mhz
2600+ = 2066Mhz

simple huh?
it seems the last 0.18 micron XP will be 1800Mhz. more than what i expected.
a very hot beast im predicting.
and its unsure if the T-bredie will be released with every speed rating, or just the even ones i.e. 2200+,2400+,2600+

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm
very valid point.
i guess they mean the same in this case as there is no comment to say otherwise...
but it raises a valid point, especially as the current rumors are that the 'Bredie' WILL have extra cache... as well as some architectual tweaks,
so its likely that a 2000+ bredie will outperform a athieXP2000+.

another reason why i never liked the performance scheme.... but what else can they do to educate the average moron?
(beside produce chips that do no IPS per cycle, and then promote them as miraculous 10Ghz CPU's)
;) ;) ;)

taylanator

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
so the g4 CPUS are great, we arren't talking about G4's though Mr. Intel inside (I love hollow herts). We are talking about an athlon mhz compared to intel mhz. Changing the subject to a G4 is just a way of defending the hollow herts CPU's. Intel clocks their CPU's much higher to make up for the poor core architecture of the Northwood. Thats my opinion anyway.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
P.S.
cute sig.
Hmm, I'm from Canada, and I take his sig as an insult to Canada. I live in Toronto where it is very warm most of the year. In fact, this year in Toronto, we rarely saw temps below 0c so far.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
so the g4 CPUS are great, we arren't talking about G4's though Mr. Intel inside (I love hollow herts). We are talking about an athlon mhz compared to intel mhz. Changing the subject to a G4 is just a way of defending the hollow herts CPU's. Intel clocks their CPU's much higher to make up for the poor core architecture of the Northwood. Thats my opinion anyway.
Its hardly a poor core architexture. what it IS however is different from an Athlons architexture so it performs differently, and has different specifications. I'd say even a Cyrix CPU is a well made chip, it takes lots of hard work and effort, not to mention financial backing to many any cpu. Pentium 4 just needs higher MHz because of its deep pipeline and lower IPC, but because of its architexture there are somethings it performs better in than an Athlon CPU.

Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer was the greatest thing we ever did -Homer

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He ask a valid question and you give a stupid answer. MHz DOES matter, and we all know the Athlon outperforms the P4 clock-per-clock, in fact so does the PIII: turning an honest question into a flame war is no way to gather respect nor friends in here. The question as to the true speed of an Athlon has nothing to do with the poor performance of the P4. I'd like to think that the XP2000+ is twice as fast as a PIII 1000EB, but it is not, the 2500+ will be.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hahaha

sorry ;)

well when i first went to canada it was late october
expected ti to be cool
it was stinkey and humid
didnt have to buy a winter jacket till christmas ;)

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
yeah agreed, p4 is a step in a different direction unlike the athlon. I wonder if the amd groupies will still be talking about how the p4 doesn't run as fast per mhz when it's up at 5-6ghz and amd's cpu's are barely reaching 3. Maybe amd will modify their 'pr rating' (should be called the bs rating)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
yeah agreed, p4 is a step in a different direction unlike the athlon. I wonder if the amd groupies will still be talking about how the p4 doesn't run as fast per mhz when it's up at 5-6ghz and amd's cpu's are barely reaching 3. Maybe amd will modify their 'pr rating' (should be called the bs rating)
Hmm, that will never happen! By the time the P4 5GHz is out you'll have a 4GHz or so Hammer that will compete very fiercely with the P4.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

ok, so the p4 may reach higher MHZ and all that crap, but AMD doesn't go off and chop caches from their processors, as they had planned to have in the original design... and the P4 in order to fully compete has to have programs to have its optimizations, so maybe half the new programs will actually fully support p4 opts. and you say that the p4 beats athlon in some benchmarks...well that's a given, considering how much you have to pay for one! I guess my main point is, you DON'T get what u pay for when buying a p4 processor, when the PIII-M 1.2ghz for friggin notebooks actually mobs on the p4 in most apps, and they will be phasing it out later this year and go with their so-called "flagship processor" P4..read this in it's entirety then reply, but ONLY after reading it -
http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm I can't believe how anti-AMD you guys are....i'm not anti-intel as a company as they have made good CPU's for years, but the P4 just shattered their image in the educated computer users eye(mine).

P.S. AMD hasn't even gone to the 0.13u fab process, just wait for Clawhammer! *BAM!* and how is their rating a "bs rating"...i'd sure like to hear how u defend your positions mr. melting igloo too! :)

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I wonder if the amd groupies will still be talking about how the p4 doesn't run as fast per mhz when it's up at 5-6ghz and amd's cpu's are barely reaching 3.
Probably not, but it will be quite embarrassing for Intel if the AMD's offering still beats Intel's offering. Then Intel will again be the mockery it's been for the past year or so. :tongue:

Maybe amd will modify their 'pr rating' (should be called the bs rating)
If it was really a "bs rating," AMD CPU's wouldn't be marginally outperforming Northwoods on an Intel MHz vs. AMD PR basis. So it's a pretty valid rating. It's quite honestly just as valid as Intel trying to convince Joe Average that P4 MHz is everything.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
What we are arguing about here is marketing, not MHZ. I mean if a 1.4ghz Athlon and a 1.8ghz P4 perform pretty much identically for a similar price, i couldn't give 2 shits about which one i owned. But when i get a moron at work walking around saying his 1.7ghz pentium will blow everything out of the water. I start wondering where he was grossly misinformed.....probably at the dealer or by Intels misleading ads.