Intel Chipsets

G

I am trying to get an opinion or maybe some reviews on the intel 845 & 850 chipsets. I have a 1.4ghz p4 and it is currently in a board (we won't say what mbd) with the 850 chipset and I must say it has not met any of my expectations. I have been told that it is the mbd, but I am also very disappointed with the fact that it requires the rdram and it is very expensive, not to mention it doesn't seem to be any better that sdram. Can anyone give me some input on this please. Thanks!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
thats a shame.
well whatever you do, DO NOT try sdram....ever.

the 850 gives the best performance of all,
closely followed by the SiS 645 with PC2700 DDR ram, then the via P4X266 and 266A, then intels own DDr offering, the 845-D and finally in last place is the miserable 845 with sdram.

even intel zealots admit that it sucks. :)

so what do u want to do?
you have the RDRAM now...
u could upgrade upto a 2Ghz processor, but that also would be expensive.
or get a Sis645 based motherboard perhaps.

or dump the P4 alltogether and get an athlon...
how much do u really want to spend???

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

G

Is there even a mbd that supports the socket 423 and uses ddr?

"Dream as if you'll live forever......Live as if you'll die today."

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i think msi has boards that support 423 P4 and ddr

:mad: <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2096468" target="_new">P4 + SDRAM</A> = <b>BAD</b> :mad:

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
nevermind...they dont....

:mad: <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2096468" target="_new">P4 + SDRAM</A> = <b>BAD</b> :mad:

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Are you using PC800 RDRAM? Make sure it is the full PC800, and not something like PC600 or PC700 that a few retailers are still trying to dump on the market.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
HIs problem is the 1.4ghz p4 crap he is using, slower than a 1ghz athlon, my advice is to sell the processor and get a faster p4, OR, sell the mobo and processor and ram, and get an amd system.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
I agree... most ppl who buought P4 when it came out did excpect a 1400MHZ machine to be 40% faster then p3 1000...
no wonder at all they did - it was the "Center of your digital world" "fastest processor ever" "Blue Heads favorite processor" and that kinda Intel crap...

when in fact most time a 1.4GHZ system will preforme on-par with with a 1GHZ T-bird and even a 1GHZ P3.

G

yes this is definitely pc800. I work for a well known pc mfg and mistakenly got impatient waiting for a new amd board and got this p4 on an employee purchase deal. I now am not looking to make this a better system for myself, I know it could never meet my expectations. I am instead trying to make some use of the processor to be able to give it to a relative and at least not have them think I gave them a pos. I think probably my best bet is to just go with a socket 423 mbd that uses sdram and not worry about finding one with ddr. Thanks for the input everyone.

"Dream as if you'll live forever......Live as if you'll die today."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
dont say that!!!

cauz unless your RDRAM setup is truly screwed for some reason, you will experience even WORSE performance using SDRAM.
trust us...
check out toms reviews.

there are other DDR boards for the P4.
via has made the P4X266 and 266A. not very common, due to legal crap, but shuttle and aziza do produce boards.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
sell the mobo and processor and ram, and get an amd system.
then come on this board 2 days later, using a friend's pc, and ask why your system isn't booting.

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>

Gotta agree with LHGPooBaa. RDRAM is much faster then SDRAM. If it wasn't, why would it be on sale at such expense?

It may be the CPU. My PIII GHz scores on Sisoft Sandra are almost in line with a P4 S423 1.4GHz. Perhaps you have a few options in your BIOS or OS which will release some performance. Look about in the memory and OS sections for some ideas.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Gotta agree with LHGPooBaa. RDRAM is much faster then SDRAM. If it wasn't, why would it be on sale at such expense?

More expensive does not mean better, look at the 2ghz norhwood versus the xp2000+, overclocking aside, the 70 dollar more expensive processor is slower than or equal to the cheaper xp.

Rambus is fast, but it also has high latency.

I agree that price need not have to indicate quality or performance, but are you saying that DDR RAM is faster than RDRAM?

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
but are you saying that DDR RAM is faster than RDRAM?
It's not. Rdram cost about the same as ddr now, and on a p4 system (amd doesn't support it) it is faster.

<i>Hi I am from Canada, I don't use amd cause they melt my igloo eh.</i>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
overclocking aside

now what!! you dont overclock anymore or the XP2000+ is allready overclock.

Huh??? Where the hell is C3PO? We need a translation here, dammit!

<i>There are two theories on arguing with women. Neither one works.</i>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I think he's trying to suggest that AMD sells overclocked CPUs.

Sorry Juin, Intel's the only manufacturer who's tried a stunt like that. :tongue:

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
overclocking aside

now what!! you dont overclock anymore or the XP2000+ is allready overclock.

It means, out of the box, at stock speeds, the way most users will have it run, problem understanding that?

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
I think you should now that ANY speed bump by AMD or Intel is actually overcloking... this is done by ajusting the the multiplier.

smotimes they tweak the design in order to get higher yeilds... but mostly its just palin old overclock cpu that have been tested for its clock speed...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I think you should now that ANY speed bump by AMD or Intel is actually overcloking... this is done by ajusting the the multiplier.

smotimes they tweak the design in order to get higher yeilds... but mostly its just palin old overclock cpu that have been tested for its clock speed...

A: all fabs(good fabs anyways) are constantly refining their processtechnology to produce faster chips.
B: overclocking is defined as running a cpu FASTER than its rated speed, therefore no company can actually sell overclocked cpu's.
C: The chips sold(for the most part, p3 1.13) can run at their rated speeds and are tested to ensure quality.

Even if the core designs are the same, simply having a fab run for some time on a process will ensure the output is of a higher quality than the first chips out.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, back on topic.

So you bought a Dell. You like those blue guys on TV, and figured that a new P4 would be really fast.

Your problem is twofold:

1. You have an OEM motherboard with limited options, and a BIOS that limits your performance.

2. You have the slowest P4 made, and in socket 423 to boot.

Bit of a tricky situation. Here are your options.

<b>Most expensive:</b> get a full combo like <A HREF="http://www.tufshop.com/store/msi_p4.html" target="_new">this</A> (top of page) for $508.72 after shipping. MSI board with the SiS645 chipset (DDR). Per PriceWatch, two 256MB sticks of PC2700 is $144, brining the total to $652.72, which is pricey, but it's a good system. However, if you go that route, look for something with a Northwood P4. It's designated by the 'A' after the clock (P4 2.0a, 2.2a). They are faster and much more overclockable.

<b>Least expensive:</b> Get a P4 1.8 or so, $194 on Pricewatch. The problem is, if you stick with socket 423, you're just squeezing blood from a stone. Bad idea.

That is of course, if you don't want to move to an AMD platform. If you do, there are plenty of people to advise you where to go.

The i850 chipset is a very, very good chipset. The only problem is when you get it on a crappy motherboard (which may be the case), or it's simply poorly set up (which may also be the case).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>