Help - CPU question

G

I'm hoping someone will have a strong opinion or knowledge for this one.
Well, I was running a 1.1 GHZ Tbird on my Asus A7V. No problems really, except that the cpu was running fairly hot at 132.5F. I decided to go and get a Copper shim that I have heard takes about 2 degrees off the chip. I installed the shim on the cpu closed up the case and Viola! CPU burnt. I guess the shim pushed my cpu fan too high and the core did not touch the heatsink. So my real question here is, I am looking to buy a new cpu, My board only supports *supposively according to asus* 550 - 1Ghz ~." Although I have been running 1.1 ghz for over a year. I wanted to know if i would be able to run a 1.4 Ghz 200 FSB on this board. I also just purchased the thermal take dragon orb 3 7000 rpm fan for some extra cooling power. Does anyone know if this cpu will work sufficently with my board????
Thanks~
-Brian

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Brian, why did you get a shim, they dont help cool the processor. Also was your cpu locking up, 132 seems a bit high but if it didnt heat lock there was no need to add additional cooling.

Oh well, you should just buy a tbird 1.33 and unlock it, then set it as high as you can on the 100/200 fsb.(probably 1250mhz(12.5 multi is the highest if I recall correctly)

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

no it wasn't locking up, i just noticed it was running hot. I think it was because i had a fairly crappy heatsink/fan. Your suggestion is to get a 1.33 266 FSB? I'm not familiar with unlocking the cpu, althought i have heard about it before. I do recall that the max multiplier for my board is 1250. 10 switches. 6 for cpu 4 for FSB. What do you suggest?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
no it wasn't locking up, i just noticed it was running hot. I think it was because i had a fairly crappy heatsink/fan. Your suggestion is to get a 1.33 266 FSB? I'm not familiar with unlocking the cpu, althought i have heard about it before. I do recall that the max multiplier for my board is 1250. 10 switches. 6 for cpu 4 for FSB. What do you suggest?
Brian, as far as I know, all 1.33GHz Athlons are unlocked so you don't have to worry about that. Heck, you might as well look for a 1.4GHz Athlon 266MHz FSB for a couple of dollars more.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

ok, if they all are unlocked, remember i am running on a Asus A7V, which only supports 550-1000 200 FSB, if i was to buy a 1.4 with 266 FSB, wouldn't it be better to get another board? I mean I could do that and just sell my current board. But if I kept my A7V, wouldn't that just be a waste of money if I bought a more powerful chip that I couldn't even use?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
hmm, how high do your multipliers go? If they can go up to 14X then get the 1.4GHz Athlon. Yeah, however, getting a new board is the best option. The older KT133 boards are slow by today's standards. If you would like to stick to SDRAM, get the IWill KK266Plus, otherwise, with DDR, I'd recommend the IWill XP333 or the Asus A7A266-E (both are based on the Ali Magik1 and therefore free of VIA bugs).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

I am about 95% sure that it only goes to 1250. 10X multipliers. I have two options from where I sit, either get a new cpu for my current board(A7V), Or upgrade to a newer board, however, most of the newer boards are only supporting DDR ram, which i have a Gig of SDRAM, so I would have to buy all new ram, which would be expensive. So... I am not sure what the best direction to go would be.
-Brian

svol

Champion
If your CPU was fried because of a too thick shim, I would go to the one who sold it and ask a refund. He sold you a bad shim which cannot be used for CPU's so it also their mistake for selling you a wrong shim, unless they told you that they gave absolute no warranty for the shim and it's use.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

Svol,
I did send a not so nice letter to the person I bought the shim from, however I did buy it on Ebay.. for a whole $2.50. Not so concerned about the $2.50 rather than the $100+ for a new cpu. I think the best thing to do is just go with a new mb/cpu/ddr bundle. Sell my current one and drop a weeks paycheck.. hah

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
If that's 1GB of high-quality PC133 SDRAM. Then I'd get an Athlon XP 1600+ and an IWill KK266Plus. This is the fastest SDRAM board for the Athlon that I know of. It also supports the Athlon XP with a BIOS update so you might as well get an AXP. It'll be a bit pricier than upgrading just the CPU, but at least you are getting a faster more current mobo as well as the faster and cooler Athlon XP. Currently the Athlon XP 1600+ or 1700+ seem to give the best bang for the buck.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I do have 1GB of PC-133 SDRAM, I looked at the IWill, it did look like it had it's good qualities, but any board that supports both DDR and SDRAM are going to have downsides. I was looking at http://www.partspc.com/product1567.html and http://www.partspc.com/product1542.html I think that will be my best bet for the current time and money. Anyone have any comments good/bad about that board?
Hmm, the Iwill KK266Plus only supports PC133 not DDR but it IS the fastest SDRAM motherboard. Those two mobos you listed are good, but they only support DDR RAM so you'll be forced to spend significantly more (as DDR isn't exactly cheap right now).

I would recommend the <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7a266-e/overview.htm#" target="_new">Asus A7A266-E</A>. It's based on the latest ALi chipset and supports DDR and SDRAM. I'd get that for now, and upgrade to DDR in the future when prices go down again. It would be truly sad to throw one whole gigabyte of RAM when RAM prices are so high these days.

Do yourself a favour and get that mobo. It's VIA-free and you won't have to waste your SDRAM for now.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
That Athlon 1400 WILL work on your board but it will only run at 1050Mhz unless you unlock the multiplier or clock your fsb up to 133.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
One more thing...don't get so freaked about heat. Man people on this board freak out about that. It's perfectly fine for that thing to run up to even 160F and beyond.

Graphics cards get a bit sensitive with heat but CPU's aren't too bad at all. One fan in and One fan out should do the trick on the case. A stock AMD heatsink will be fine for the cpu unless you're wanting to overclock.