OpenGL vs Lithtech

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
RTCW is a much newer game than NOLF. Yet i seem to be running the first much smoother??..How can that be??
I use FRAPS 1.7A and it says:
RTCW: 70-90fps avg~75-80
NOLF: 25-55fps avg~40

P41.5GHZ/ ABIT TH7 RAID/ Radeon 64DDRVIVO using 6071 drivers/ 128MBRDRAM/ 60GXP40GB

Could it be that RTCW is installed on a 10GB partition all alone and NOLF is installed on my Games partition which is also 10GB but almost full??

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
eventhough i tried running NOLF in low quality/high performance

rest of display settings are almost the same on both games: balanced medium

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
NOLF has always had problems running on Radeons unfortunately. Is the text garbled sometimes as well? You can try updating your drivers and such but that is not a guarentee to work. 25 FSP is still playable without any rediculous slowdown. Unfortunatly I'm not sure if they ever fixed the problems with the radeons. The game is pretty old and they have probably stopped patching it.

Well good luck anyway.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
yeah...exactly...the text is really missalligned....btw....this game is SUPERB!!!!
I have the GOTY edition...so i guess it's supposed to need no patches....??

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Technicality

It should be Q3 Engine vs Lithtech Engine.

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I think the latest is the Jedi Outcast game. Thats supposed to have brilliant graphics. Its like I've been saying to a lot of people here - in the current design model, the textures are the biggest reason behind the way a game looks. Especially in screenshots. Secondly its the geometry i.e. the models and buildings (another area of art rather than the engine). Then it is the engine. However retaining performance while producing such quality is the main issue. Thats where Carmacks engines do so well.

Of course as new technology comes out the engine will have to bear more burden for the looks of them game. With the shaders and the newer things like displcemenet maps a lot of eyecandy can be done with lines of code.

Lithtech is a good engine too, but I think its one of its main aims was cross platform compatibility. The renderer for each platform had to be plugged in to the engine, so the it verymuch depends on the platform, what kind of scenes it will create.

You probably didn't even want to know this, but its "free" information. Everybody loves things that are "free" right? :lol:

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>