Martial Bard?

So I'm playing a Bard currently and I was looking for any Prestige
CLasses or whatever that would make him a better 'martial' bard so to
speak. I suppose the easiest route would just be to do alternating
levels with Fighter or something, but I was just curious if there was
anything anyone was aware of for like a swashbuckler type bard. I want
him to be effective with rapier, and do lots of tumbling type combat
maneuvers. Like I said, I guess I can just keep alternating levels
w/Fighter but just wonder if there are other options.

Thoughts?
33 answers Last reply
More about martial bard

    webhed wrote:
    > So I'm playing a Bard currently and I was looking for any Prestige
    > CLasses or whatever that would make him a better 'martial' bard so to
    > speak. I suppose the easiest route would just be to do alternating
    > levels with Fighter or something, but I was just curious if there was
    > anything anyone was aware of for like a swashbuckler type bard. I want
    > him to be effective with rapier, and do lots of tumbling type combat
    > maneuvers. Like I said, I guess I can just keep alternating levels
    > w/Fighter but just wonder if there are other options.

    In general, you might want to consider picking up a copy of the Hero's Guide
    for Star Wars D20.

    There's a concept in there (which really should be generalized to all D20)
    known as Archetypes. This allows for the modification of dual class
    situation, like you're describing, to better meld together by, optionally,
    replacing certain abilities throughout the progression.

    I'd recommend trying to thumb through it in the bookstore and see if it's
    interesting to you.

    --
    Reginald Blue
    "I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my

    webhed <jreyst@gmail.com> wrote:
    >So I'm playing a Bard currently and I was looking for any Prestige
    >CLasses or whatever that would make him a better 'martial' bard so to
    >speak.

    I think the Dead Pirate PrC was designed exactly for this...

    Donald

    Donald Tsang wrote:
    > webhed <jreyst@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>So I'm playing a Bard currently and I was looking for any Prestige
    >>CLasses or whatever that would make him a better 'martial' bard so to
    >>speak.
    >

    > I think the Dead Pirate PrC was designed exactly for this...
    >
    > Donald

    "Dead Pirate?" Is that the PrC on the Flying Dutchman?

    ;-)

    Reginald Blue wrote:
    > webhed wrote:
    >
    >>So I'm playing a Bard currently and I was looking for any Prestige
    >>CLasses or whatever that would make him a better 'martial' bard so to
    >>speak. I suppose the easiest route would just be to do alternating
    >>levels with Fighter or something, but I was just curious if there was
    >>anything anyone was aware of for like a swashbuckler type bard. I want
    >>him to be effective with rapier, and do lots of tumbling type combat
    >>maneuvers. Like I said, I guess I can just keep alternating levels
    >>w/Fighter but just wonder if there are other options.
    >

    > In general, you might want to consider picking up a copy of the Hero's Guide
    > for Star Wars D20.
    >
    > There's a concept in there (which really should be generalized to all D20)
    > known as Archetypes. This allows for the modification of dual class
    > situation, like you're describing, to better meld together by, optionally,
    > replacing certain abilities throughout the progression.

    The Quintessential Bard II has a similer section, only it is designed
    for D&D bards.

    jreyst@gmail.com wrote:

    > So I'm playing a Bard currently and I was looking for any Prestige
    > CLasses or whatever that would make him a better 'martial' bard so to
    > speak. I suppose the easiest route would just be to do alternating
    > levels with Fighter or something, but I was just curious if there was
    > anything anyone was aware of for like a swashbuckler type bard. I want
    > him to be effective with rapier, and do lots of tumbling type combat
    > maneuvers. Like I said, I guess I can just keep alternating levels
    > w/Fighter but just wonder if there are other options.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    Duelist is your basic core books swashbuckler, but I don't really think
    it has much going for it, especially for a bard since it doesn't really
    synergize with any of your abilities.

    Warchanter (CW) is a more martial, less spellcaster-y bard, which might
    be close to what you're looking for.

    A couple of rogue levels will give you some sneak attack, increasing
    your damage output, and all the swashbuckler skills are still there.

    Assassin levels ditto, and you also get some neat spells. You have to be
    Evil, though.

    Thief-acrobat (CAdv) is very mobility focused and quite nice, IMO, but
    you'll have to get Evasion first.

    I second the suggestion to check out the dread pirate (CAdv) if it the
    whole pirate schtick fits your concept or if you can adjust the PrC
    flavour with your DM.

    But I think the best swashbuckler bard is a pure bard, with the right
    spells and feats.

    Snowflake Wardance (Frostburn) allows you to add Cha to attack with
    slashing weapons (so no rapier...). Song of the Heart (Eberron) improves
    your inspire courage and other bardic music, making everyone a better
    fighter. Arcane Strike lets you convert spell slots to attack/damage
    bonuses, which both gives you more melee power and lets you select more
    non-combat spells, since you don't have to worry about slots sitting
    unused.

    Bladeweave (CAdv) is, for me, the quintessential bardic combat spell:
    you twirl your sword in a hypnotic pattern, possibly distracting your
    opponent (daze as a weapon touch attack). Whirling blade (CA) is also
    flashy and cool. Inspirational boost isn't flashy at all, but anything
    that improves inspire courage is great. Swift expeditious retreat (CAdv)
    helps with mobility and tumbling. Swift fly (CAdv) lets you pull off
    what amounts to wuxia tricks, effectively allowing you to leap 60 ft.
    standing leaps.

    If you're taking ranks in use magic device, at high levels you might
    consider investing in a divine power wand. It's expensive, but it can
    make for some truly impressive attack bonuses on a bard, with all this
    other stuff.

    A sword of subtlety is another nice piece of equipment: with UMD, you
    can fake sneak attack, and with your swashbuckler mobility, you should
    be able to flank fairly often.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
    >A sword of subtlety is another nice piece of equipment: with UMD, you
    >can fake sneak attack, and with your swashbuckler mobility, you should
    >be able to flank fairly often.

    Wow. Just... wow.

    Not that a character who has enough ranks in UMD to emulate a class
    feature (DC 20) consistently should lack for a +4 weapon in the
    first place... but still. What a cool idea.

    I'd probably rather dip a level in Rogue or Scout, though.

    Donald

    So I checked out the Dread Pirate... while its cool, my character is a
    complete landlubber. An actor/playwrite bard who is composing a master
    epic play during the days, and at night is living up the life of
    adventure and fair damsels. Dread Pirate is all about ships and oceans
    etc.

    I checked out the War Chanter... again, cool, but a little TOO
    martial... being all about killing stuff and all lol My guy is more
    about disarming and tripping his opponent to demoralize him as opposed
    to slaughtering him lol

    I even looked at the Swashbuckler class... That actually seems the
    closest if I hadn't already taken 2 levels of Bard and already have
    Weapon Finesse. The other class abilities seem cool, and it gets Ftr
    BAB and Hit Points, which is definitely cool. I guess I was picturing a
    Swashbuckler having lower hit points than a fighter, not as straight up
    tough I guess.

    It looks like I'll just stick with alternating Bard/Fighter levels and
    try to skill/feat him out to be what I want. I guess with the right
    feats (Improved Trip, Disarm, Feint, etc) you could still do a decent
    Swashbuckler type bard that way.

    Thanks for the tips guys!

    Martial stoneroper bards

    "Mmn-nnaarrrr-rrr-rrrrr"

    (waves tentacles around, wielding mutiple scimitars)

    Peter Knutsen (usenet) wrote:

    > Duellist?

    I'm at work so I don't have my books available. Can someone give me a
    brief synopsis of what the Duelist can do? It might be an option but I
    seem to recall checking it out and discounting it for some reason...

    webhed wrote:
    > So I checked out the Dread Pirate... while its cool, my character is a
    > complete landlubber. An actor/playwrite bard who is composing a master
    > epic play during the days, and at night is living up the life of
    > adventure and fair damsels. Dread Pirate is all about ships and oceans
    > etc.

    You could make it large lake based. Or river based.
    --
    "... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
    --till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

    tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > >A sword of subtlety is another nice piece of equipment: with UMD, you
    > >can fake sneak attack, and with your swashbuckler mobility, you should
    > >be able to flank fairly often.
    >
    > Wow. Just... wow.
    >
    > Not that a character who has enough ranks in UMD to emulate a class
    > feature (DC 20) consistently should lack for a +4 weapon in the
    > first place... but still.

    For a bard, I think it's easy to hit DC 20 long before you can really
    afford weapons that good (either subtlety or +4): 9th level is enough
    for +12 ranks, +4 Cha, +3 circlet of persuasion = +19.

    > What a cool idea.

    Thanks. This is the coolest use of UMD for me, being able to say "Oh, we
    found a wildshaping sneak attacking holy avenger that requires bardic
    music? Sure, I can use it." I was even planning to get a longsword of
    subtlety with my cleric/loremaster of Tyr once he got enough UMD to be
    semi-reliable with it (he died before he even got into loremaster, eh).
    It's a shame there aren't more good class-restricted items in the DMG...

    BTW, note that a sword of subtlety is more like a +5 weapon when sneak
    attacking... +1 enhancement, +4 to attack/damage. That would cost 50000
    gp, while the sword of subtlety is only 22000 gp.

    Also, and I'm not sure how this is in other groups, in my group it's
    been ruled that subtlety is effectively a 20000 gp fixed cost enhancment
    (so the +1 sword in the DMG comes out at 22000). So for a cost similar
    to a +5 weapon, you could have a +4 sword of subtlety, for +9 to
    attack/damage when sneak attacking (or "sneak attacking").

    > I'd probably rather dip a level in Rogue or Scout, though.

    Perhaps, but there's just something about being able to use the sword
    when you're not supposed to. :)

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    jreyst@gmail.com wrote:

    > So I checked out the Dread Pirate... while its cool, my character is a
    > complete landlubber. An actor/playwrite bard who is composing a master
    > epic play during the days, and at night is living up the life of
    > adventure and fair damsels. Dread Pirate is all about ships and oceans
    > etc.

    It shouldn't be too hard to adapt the dread pirate into something land-
    based, I think.

    The important abilities are mostly mobility- and inspiration-based, so
    they only need their names changed to make it into an urban
    swashbuckler.

    Then there's stuff like +level to profession (sailor), but that's mostly
    flavour anyway, and it shouldn't be too hard to think of something
    equivalent that fits the character better. +level to profession
    (playwright), as your nightly exploits give you endless inspiration for
    your plays...? :)

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    webhed <jreyst@gmail.com> wrote:
    >So I checked out the Dread Pirate... while its cool, my character is a
    >complete landlubber. An actor/playwrite bard who is composing a master
    >epic play during the days, and at night is living up the life of
    >adventure and fair damsels. Dread Pirate is all about ships and oceans
    >etc.

    This is true.

    >I even looked at the Swashbuckler class... That actually seems the
    >closest if I hadn't already taken 2 levels of Bard and already have
    >Weapon Finesse. The other class abilities seem cool, and it gets Ftr
    >BAB and Hit Points, which is definitely cool. I guess I was picturing a
    >Swashbuckler having lower hit points than a fighter, not as straight up
    >tough I guess.

    Why don't you ask your DM if you can choose a different feat? Or maybe
    even rebuild the character given the "new" class? Explain to him that
    Swashbuckler levels fit better, thematically, than Fighter or Ranger
    levels...

    Donald

    Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
    >> >A sword of subtlety is another nice piece of equipment: with UMD, you
    >> >can fake sneak attack, and with your swashbuckler mobility, you should
    >> >be able to flank fairly often.
    >>
    >> Not that a character who has enough ranks in UMD to emulate a class
    >> feature (DC 20) consistently should lack for a +4 weapon in the
    >> first place... but still. [Wow.]
    >
    >For a bard, I think it's easy to hit DC 20 long before you can really
    >afford weapons that good (either subtlety or +4): 9th level is enough
    >for +12 ranks, +4 Cha, +3 circlet of persuasion = +19.

    Yah, true. A +4 weapon is 33K or so; Sword of Subtlety is 22K or so.

    >BTW, note that a sword of subtlety is more like a +5 weapon when sneak
    >attacking... +1 enhancement, +4 to attack/damage. That would cost 50000
    >gp, while the sword of subtlety is only 22000 gp.

    True enough. But it only gives you that when "sneak attacking", so I
    figured I'd prefer a +4 straight up. Wait... can UMD fool the SoS into
    thinking you're sneak attacking on *every* attack?

    >> I'd probably rather dip a level in Rogue or Scout, though.
    >
    >Perhaps, but there's just something about being able to use the sword
    >when you're not supposed to. :)

    What would be the UMD DC to make a Sylvan Scimitar work all the time?
    How about Burst enhancements? Can UMD make them believe you've critted?

    Donald

    webhed wrote:
    > So I'm playing a Bard currently and I was looking for any Prestige
    > CLasses or whatever that would make him a better 'martial' bard so to
    > speak. I suppose the easiest route would just be to do alternating
    > levels with Fighter or something, but I was just curious if there was
    > anything anyone was aware of for like a swashbuckler type bard. I want
    > him to be effective with rapier, and do lots of tumbling type combat
    > maneuvers. Like I said, I guess I can just keep alternating levels
    > w/Fighter but just wonder if there are other options.

    Duellist?

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

    Donald Tsang wrote:
    > Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
    >>BTW, note that a sword of subtlety is more like a +5 weapon when sneak
    >>attacking... +1 enhancement, +4 to attack/damage. That would cost 50000
    >>gp, while the sword of subtlety is only 22000 gp.
    >
    > True enough. But it only gives you that when "sneak attacking", so I
    > figured I'd prefer a +4 straight up. Wait... can UMD fool the SoS into
    > thinking you're sneak attacking on *every* attack?

    I'd say no.

    >>>I'd probably rather dip a level in Rogue or Scout, though.
    >>
    >>Perhaps, but there's just something about being able to use the sword
    >>when you're not supposed to. :)
    >
    > What would be the UMD DC to make a Sylvan Scimitar work all the time?
    > How about Burst enhancements? Can UMD make them believe you've critted?

    I'd say no here as well.

    Neither of those suggestions are realistic.

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

    Peter Knutsen (usenet) <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:
    >Donald Tsang wrote:
    >> Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
    >>>BTW, note that a sword of subtlety is more like a +5 weapon when sneak
    >>>attacking... +1 enhancement, +4 to attack/damage. That would cost 50000
    >>>gp, while the sword of subtlety is only 22000 gp.
    >>
    >> True enough. But it only gives you that when "sneak attacking", so I
    >> figured I'd prefer a +4 straight up. Wait... can UMD fool the SoS into
    >> thinking you're sneak attacking on *every* attack?
    >
    >I'd say no.

    Truthfully, so would I. But it's certainly not clear how a SoS
    "knows" that you're sneak-attacking.

    You can sneak-attack things like constructs and undead, right?
    They're just usually immune to the extra damage? (just like you can
    crit them with "Burst" weapons)

    >>>Perhaps, but there's just something about being able to use the sword
    >>>when you're not supposed to. :)
    >>
    >> What would be the UMD DC to make a Sylvan Scimitar work all the time?
    >> How about Burst enhancements? Can UMD make them believe you've critted?
    >
    >I'd say no here as well.
    >
    >Neither of those suggestions are realistic.

    I'm thinking that maybe, with Daylight and Endure Elements spells or
    somesuch, the Sylvan Scimitar one might be doable. But, yeah, the
    other use (and the "sneak" one, above) seem a little too "out there".
    I'm curious what others think, though.

    Donald

    "webhed" <jreyst@gmail.com> wrote in

    > So I'm playing a Bard currently and I was looking for any
    > Prestige CLasses or whatever that would make him a better
    > 'martial' bard so to speak.

    As you've likely got good CHA, how about multiclassing to a class
    which gets Turn Undead (e.g. cleric or paladin after a few levels)
    and getting the Divine Power feat along with a better BAB?

    ~consul wrote:
    > webhed wrote:
    >
    >> <snip> Dread Pirate is all about ships and ocean, etc.
    >
    > You could make it large lake based. Or river based.

    The Dread Riverboat Pirate Roberts? Hmmm...

    Arivne

    Behold! for "webhed" <jreyst@gmail.com> spake unto the multitude thus:

    >I even looked at the Swashbuckler class... That actually seems the
    >closest if I hadn't already taken 2 levels of Bard and already have
    >Weapon Finesse. The other class abilities seem cool, and it gets Ftr
    >BAB and Hit Points, which is definitely cool. I guess I was picturing a
    >Swashbuckler having lower hit points than a fighter, not as straight up
    >tough I guess.

    Agree with your DM to swap the Finesse for something like Imp Disarm,
    Imp Trip, Imp Feint, TWF, Dodge, Mobility or whatever as applicable.
    Otherwise Swashbuckler is best because it uses Cha, which I imagine
    you have plenty of.

    --
    Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

    D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

    > >> True enough. But it only gives you that when "sneak attacking", so I
    > >> figured I'd prefer a +4 straight up. Wait... can UMD fool the SoS into
    > >> thinking you're sneak attacking on *every* attack?
    > >
    > >I'd say no.
    >
    > Truthfully, so would I. But it's certainly not clear how a SoS
    > "knows" that you're sneak-attacking.

    Certainlty. But I'd say it just knows; magic, y'know.

    > You can sneak-attack things like constructs and undead, right?
    > They're just usually immune to the extra damage? (just like you can
    > crit them with "Burst" weapons)

    Interesting. Are you suggestion that a bard with a sword of subtlety (or
    a rogue, for that matter) would get his +4/+4 attack/damage?

    Perhaps that might be a good ruling, since it solves one logical problem
    I've been having with swords of subtlety: say you attack a flat-footed
    opponent with AC 20 and light fortification. You hit AC 16, 20 with the
    +4 bonus. Fortification is rolled and comes up 1%, so no sneak attack.
    But if no sneak attack, did you hit at all considering you only hit
    because of your +4 bonus which only works when sneak attacking...?

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
    >tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> it's certainly not clear how a SoS "knows" that you're sneak-attacking.
    >
    >Certainlty. But I'd say it just knows; magic, y'know.

    If it's "magic", then presumably UMD can trick it into thinking you're
    doing it, at DC 20 or 25?

    >> You can sneak-attack things like constructs and undead, right?
    >> They're just usually immune to the extra damage? (just like you can
    >> crit them with "Burst" weapons)
    >
    >Interesting. Are you suggestion that a bard with a sword of subtlety (or
    >a rogue, for that matter) would get his +4/+4 attack/damage?

    Of course.

    >Perhaps that might be a good ruling, since it solves one logical problem
    >I've been having with swords of subtlety: say you attack a flat-footed
    >opponent with AC 20 and light fortification. You hit AC 16, 20 with the
    >+4 bonus. Fortification is rolled and comes up 1%, so no sneak attack.
    >But if no sneak attack, did you hit at all considering you only hit
    >because of your +4 bonus which only works when sneak attacking...?

    I think if you read the descriptions of "Fortification" and "Sword of
    Subtlety", all will become clear...

    "Fortification: This suit of armor or shield produces a magical
    force that protects vital areas of the wearer more effectively.
    When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer,
    there is a chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is
    negated and damage is instead rolled normally."

    "Sword of Subtlety: A +1 short sword with a thin, dull gray
    blade, this weapon provides a +4 bonus on its wielder's attack
    and damage rolls when he is making a sneak attack with it."

    You're "making a sneak attack"; it's just that the effect of the sneak
    attack is negated. Since the sword already received the bonus for
    "making a sneak attack", you roll normal damage of 1d6+1+4 (plus other
    modifiers as appropriate).

    Donald

    stq@stq.gro.ku.invalid wrote:

    > > So I'm playing a Bard currently and I was looking for any
    > > Prestige CLasses or whatever that would make him a better
    > > 'martial' bard so to speak.
    >
    > As you've likely got good CHA, how about multiclassing to a class
    > which gets Turn Undead (e.g. cleric or paladin after a few levels)
    > and getting the Divine Power feat along with a better BAB?

    Indeed, even disregarding Divine Might, Devoted Performer and Extra
    Smite make paladin an excellent dip for a melee bard: two levels and two
    feats get you Cha to saves and smite evil at at full character level(!)
    3/day.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    > stq@stq.gro.ku.invalid wrote:
    >

    >>>So I'm playing a Bard currently and I was looking for any
    >>>Prestige CLasses or whatever that would make him a better
    >>>'martial' bard so to speak.
    >>
    >>As you've likely got good CHA, how about multiclassing to a class
    >>which gets Turn Undead (e.g. cleric or paladin after a few levels)
    >>and getting the Divine Power feat along with a better BAB?
    >

    > Indeed, even disregarding Divine Might, Devoted Performer and Extra
    > Smite make paladin an excellent dip for a melee bard: two levels and two
    > feats get you Cha to saves and smite evil at at full character level(!)
    > 3/day.

    Bard / Paladin is not a possible multiclass, because of the allignment
    restriction, Paladins must be lawful good, whereas a bard cannot be
    lawful. Though a Bard / Cleric might be interesting.

    In article <Ikule.1491047$6l.210719@pd7tw2no>,
    M!ke <nospamm1k3@atlas.cz> wrote:
    >Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    >> Indeed, even disregarding Divine Might, Devoted Performer and Extra
    >> Smite make paladin an excellent dip for a melee bard: two levels and two
    >> feats get you Cha to saves and smite evil at at full character level(!)
    >> 3/day.
    >>

    > Bard / Paladin is not a possible multiclass, because of the allignment
    >restriction, Paladins must be lawful good, whereas a bard cannot be
    >lawful. Though a Bard / Cleric might be interesting.

    But Devoted Performer (a) requires bardic music and smite evil (b) allows free
    multiclassing between bard and paladin. I'd rather not throw out the feat as
    a plain error. PHB says Paladins must remain LG or lose their powers; for
    Bard it doesn't say anything is lost on an alignment change. So even if you
    require the bard to start non-lawful, eg NG, it looks to me as though the
    player needs to role-play a change to LG, then multiclass as a paladin, then
    take Devoted Performer.

    >>> <snip> Dread Pirate is all about ships and ocean, etc.
    >>
    >> You could make it large lake based. Or river based.
    >
    > The Dread Riverboat Pirate Roberts? Hmmm...

    Only in Saskatchewan.

    Spinner

    jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org wrote:

    > >I even looked at the Swashbuckler class... That actually seems the
    > >closest if I hadn't already taken 2 levels of Bard and already have
    > >Weapon Finesse. The other class abilities seem cool, and it gets Ftr
    > >BAB and Hit Points, which is definitely cool. I guess I was picturing a
    > >Swashbuckler having lower hit points than a fighter, not as straight up
    > >tough I guess.
    >
    > Agree with your DM to swap the Finesse for something like Imp Disarm,
    > Imp Trip, Imp Feint, TWF, Dodge, Mobility or whatever as applicable.
    > Otherwise Swashbuckler is best because it uses Cha, which I imagine
    > you have plenty of.

    How does swashbuckler use Cha, except for a few skills? I thought that
    was the most common complaint about the swashbuckler, that there's no
    mechanical reason to have high Cha, which is contrary to the genre.

    .... we are talking about the Complete Warrior swashbuckler, yes?

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    On Fri, 27 May 2005, M!ke wrote:

    > Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    >>
    >> Indeed, even disregarding Divine Might, Devoted Performer and Extra
    >> Smite make paladin an excellent dip for a melee bard: two levels and
    >> two feats get you Cha to saves and smite evil at at full character
    >> level(!) 3/day.
    >>
    > Bard / Paladin is not a possible multiclass,

    Unless you take the Devoted Performer feat, which allows you to be a
    lawful bard.

    Cheers,

    Gary Johnson
    --
    Home Page: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzjohnsg
    X-Men Campaign Resources: http://members.optusnet.com.au/xmen_campaign

    tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > >> it's certainly not clear how a SoS "knows" that you're sneak-attacking.
    > >
    > >Certainlty. But I'd say it just knows; magic, y'know.
    >
    > If it's "magic", then presumably UMD can trick it into thinking you're
    > doing it, at DC 20 or 25?

    Heh, good point.

    Still, I think I'd go with balance over what makes sense, and disallow
    it.

    But...

    Now I'm thinking of a hypothetical sword which gives you +4/+4 to
    attack/damage when you use it to smite evil.

    You could say it can't be used with UMD, since you're not actually using
    smite evil, only pretending you have smite evil, but I think that's
    silly.

    But if it can be used with UMD, how often can it be used? On every
    attack against an evil creature? That's even more of a benefit over the
    intended user with the sword of subtlety to be used all the time, since
    a rogue will sneak attack on something like half his attacks, while a
    paladin will only have a handful of smite evils even at the highest
    levels.

    BTW, another interesting item to use with UMD, if your modifier is
    really high: monk's belt. A 10th-level emulating a 10th-level monk will
    have the unarmoured AC and unarmed damage of a 15th-level monk! He's
    better off with a sword and breastplate probably, but this does have
    it's own charm.

    > >Perhaps that might be a good ruling, since it solves one logical problem
    > >I've been having with swords of subtlety: say you attack a flat-footed
    > >opponent with AC 20 and light fortification. You hit AC 16, 20 with the
    > >+4 bonus. Fortification is rolled and comes up 1%, so no sneak attack.
    > >But if no sneak attack, did you hit at all considering you only hit
    > >because of your +4 bonus which only works when sneak attacking...?
    >
    > I think if you read the descriptions of "Fortification" and "Sword of
    > Subtlety", all will become clear...
    >
    > "Fortification: This suit of armor or shield produces a magical
    > force that protects vital areas of the wearer more effectively.
    > When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer,
    > there is a chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is
    > negated and damage is instead rolled normally."
    >
    > "Sword of Subtlety: A +1 short sword with a thin, dull gray
    > blade, this weapon provides a +4 bonus on its wielder's attack
    > and damage rolls when he is making a sneak attack with it."
    >
    > You're "making a sneak attack"; it's just that the effect of the sneak
    > attack is negated. Since the sword already received the bonus for
    > "making a sneak attack", you roll normal damage of 1d6+1+4 (plus other
    > modifiers as appropriate).

    Quite so.

    Then that's probably the way it should work on undead and constructs
    too.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    >> >Certainlty. But I'd say it just knows; magic, y'know.
    >>
    >> If it's "magic", then presumably UMD can trick it into thinking you're
    >> doing it, at DC 20 or 25?
    >
    > Heh, good point.
    >
    > Still, I think I'd go with balance over what makes sense, and disallow
    > it.

    Now, now, fellas, fellas. UMD can emulate possession of a class feature,
    not its use. You can fake that you're a paladin who can smite evil or a
    rogue who can sneak attack or a wizard with a spell list, but there's no way
    you can trick a sword of subtlety into believing you've actually made a
    sneak attack when you haven't. Any more than you can trick a Rod of
    Cancellation into thinking it just hit a Sphere of Annihilation.

    > BTW, another interesting item to use with UMD, if your modifier is
    > really high: monk's belt. A 10th-level emulating a 10th-level monk will
    > have the unarmoured AC and unarmed damage of a 15th-level monk! He's
    > better off with a sword and breastplate probably, but this does have
    > it's own charm.

    This can be done IMO. What a cool trick!

    Spinner

    Murf wrote:
    > Martial stoneroper bards
    >
    > "Mmn-nnaarrrr-rrr-rrrrr"
    >
    > (waves tentacles around, wielding mutiple scimitars)

    Actually, that reminds me of the Xorn with a couple of fighter levels I
    designed once. I gave it improved disarm and
    three wooden clubs, so it could full-attack to disarm and then scoop up
    all the tasty swords for good eating. I haven't
    sprung it on the party yet, but I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

    Behold! for Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> spake unto the multitude
    thus:

    >jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org wrote:

    snip
    >> Otherwise Swashbuckler is best because it uses Cha, which I imagine
    >> you have plenty of.
    >
    >How does swashbuckler use Cha, except for a few skills? I thought that
    >was the most common complaint about the swashbuckler, that there's no
    >mechanical reason to have high Cha, which is contrary to the genre.
    >
    >... we are talking about the Complete Warrior swashbuckler, yes?

    Oops. Brain fade. I glanced at the initial class description, which
    mentioned Cha. Now *somewhere* there's a class that does Cha-based
    flashy Zorro bullshit combat moves, and I thought it was this one.
    Clearly not. Hmmm.

    It may be instructive to see the stats for this character.

    --

    arivne@cox.net wrote:
    > ~consul wrote:
    >>webhed wrote:
    >>><snip> Dread Pirate is all about ships and ocean, etc.
    >>You could make it large lake based. Or river based.
    > The Dread Riverboat Pirate Roberts? Hmmm...

    I'm reminded of all those river boat casinos of yesteryear, owned by those
    'legitamate' business owners.
    --
    "... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the
    end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."

Games Video Games