Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 mail

Last response: in Windows 7
February 16, 2013 3:55:26 PM

I just bought a used Toshiba laptop Sat L505 I understand that windows 7 does not support microsoft window mail which I have used for years under VISTA... I've been trying to get windows 7 mail operational but I keep getting an error message "unable to start correctly error oxc0000185.....what am I lacking

More about : windows mail

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 4:03:35 PM

Windows 7 uses the Live Mail that you can download as part of ESSENTIALS, although I recommend moving to Thunderbird if you want the mail client on your machine without using a web page to read your mail.
m
l
February 16, 2013 4:07:50 PM

RealBeast said:
Windows 7 uses the Live Mail that you can download as part of ESSENTIALS, although I recommend moving to Thunderbird if you want the mail client on your machine without using a web page to read your mail.

Thank you
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 4:21:17 PM

RealBeast said:
although I recommend moving to Thunderbird if you want the mail client on your machine without using a web page to read your mail.

Any particular reason? I use Win live mail (2012) and it seems to perform perfectly adequately as local mail client .
Cheers
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 4:23:29 PM

I like Thunderbird and have used it since the beginning. I find that it offers a lot more flexibility and has many free add on apps that I find useful.
m
l
February 16, 2013 6:45:46 PM

Thank you so much....I downloaded Thunderbird to see what thats about and it and my first impression is I like it however, i got a error message login to server mail.comcast.net failed so I'm going to have to check that out.. This sucks when you don' have a background and half of the terms and errors takes me forever to understand and by that time I lost track of the problem that got me to trying to understand whats wrong...I guess thats called learning......One other question back in the day if you right clicked on a program you had an option to place a shortcut on the desktop what ever happened to that and is there a way to accomplish this without going into START
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 6:53:40 PM

It takes a bit of setup, just as outlook express pretty much.

You need to check the Comcast email information page to determine the correct port settings and server name (like pop.comcast.net or mail.comcast.com or whatever and the incoming and outgoing may be different servers) for incoming (POP or IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) messages, as well as if there is any security (like SSL/TLS) and how to enter your user ID/password -- some require you whole email address as the user and some only the part before the @.

Once you install Thunderbird, look under Tools for Account Settings and you can add an account and the wizard will get you most of the way there.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2013 6:55:41 PM

To create a desktop shortcut in Windows 7 just open the start menu and find the target, then right click on and drag while holding the click to the desktop, then select create shortcut here. Then you can move that shortcut to where you want with a left click and drag.
m
l
!