Need help bad, messed up comp(might be OT)

G

My computer frequently shuts off on it's own. I don't know what it is but just on it's on, the comp restarts and reboots, except when it tries to reboot windows I get a Windows protection error and it says I must reboot my comp, this is during the loading process with the windows symbol and cloud backround. I'm running windows 98. Anyone ever had this problem? Need more info? any help is appreciated.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Need more info ...
processor, motherboard, RAM, power supply, video card and drivers, etc. Everything helps. What add-in cards do you have? The Windows Protection Errors I've seen are usually caused by hardware not getting along with each other very well.

<i>There are two theories on arguing with women. Neither one works.</i>

G

When did it start happening ? Did you install some kind of program prior to the problem ? Did you try reinstalling ? If it just came out of nowhere, I'd suspect the power supply, maybe the ram...

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

G

Alright, here are my specs:

MSI K7T266 Pro2 w/ 256MB Crucial DDR RAM
1.2 Ghz T-bird
Asus Geforce 2 GTS 32MB video card
40 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm hard drive
adapti dvd 8x drive
Plextor 16X12X48? or something CDRW
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card

The last piece of hardware that I added was the motherboard. I was thinking this may be a trojan or virus or something that's screwing around with me, but I don't know. I recently added a volcano 7 fan for extra cooling. But I get a problem almost everytime I start the computer saying that may CPU fan isn't running, even though I look and it is. NEED HELP

G

ok well it tells u it isnt running cause it isnt sending a post to the board although it is running. I would say the ram or the power supply too. also make sure ur power switch is on the board right.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
check the heatsink again, you said it was swapped after the motherboard replacement.
overheating will cause all of the problems you listed.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.