Wooden armour?

Are there any rules in splatbooks for wooden armour? ISTR that some
Native Americans used a sort of bark plywood, and I've seen it in at
least one other RPG (though I can't remember which).

Now clearly it's not exactly going to match a masterwork breastplate,
but wooden armour has several advantages:
* Druids can wear it
* It floats, more or less
* It doesn't rust
* Low-tech societies can make it
* Darkwood

The Ironwood spell states that one can make wooden items that become
as good as steel, but says nothing about what happens if the spell
ends or is dispelled.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

Jim Davies wrote:

>Are there any rules in splatbooks for wooden armour? ISTR that some
>Native Americans used a sort of bark plywood, and I've seen it in at
>least one other RPG (though I can't remember which).
>
>Now clearly it's not exactly going to match a masterwork breastplate,
>but wooden armour has several advantages:
>* Druids can wear it
>* It floats, more or less
>* It doesn't rust
>* Low-tech societies can make it
>* Darkwood
>
>The Ironwood spell states that one can make wooden items that become
>as good as steel, but says nothing about what happens if the spell
>ends or is dispelled.
>

>--
>Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim
>
>D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

Have you looked at From Stone to Steel? I'd be surprised if that
book didn't cover this.

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

Jim Davies <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> writes
>Are there any rules in splatbooks for wooden armour? ISTR that some
>Native Americans used a sort of bark plywood, and I've seen it in at
>least one other RPG (though I can't remember which).

Arms & Equipment Guide has bark, wicker, and wood armour:

Bark: Light, 5gp, +2 AC, +5 MxDex, -2 ACP, 15% ASF, 15lb
Wicker: Light, 1gp, +1 AC, +5 MxDex, +0 ACP, 10% ASF, 5lb
Wood: Light, 15gp, +3 AC, +4 MxDex, -3 ACP, 15% ASF, 15lb

--
Ian R Malcomson
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

Anyone born on the two American continents are Native Americans. If you
are into PCism, the correct term is Pre-European American.

Jim Davies wrote:
> Are there any rules in splatbooks for wooden armour? ISTR that some
> Native Americans used a sort of bark plywood, and I've seen it in at
> least one other RPG (though I can't remember which).
>
> Now clearly it's not exactly going to match a masterwork breastplate,
> but wooden armour has several advantages:
> * Druids can wear it
> * It floats, more or less
> * It doesn't rust
> * Low-tech societies can make it
> * Darkwood
>
> The Ironwood spell states that one can make wooden items that become
> as good as steel, but says nothing about what happens if the spell
> ends or is dispelled.
>

> --
> Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim
>
> D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

Behold! for Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> spake unto the multitude
thus:

>Jim Davies wrote:
>
>>Are there any rules in splatbooks for wooden armour? ISTR that some
>>Native Americans used a sort of bark plywood, and I've seen it in at
>>least one other RPG (though I can't remember which).

snip

> Have you looked at From Stone to Steel? I'd be surprised if that
>book didn't cover this.

Never heard of it. But now that I have, I may check it out.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

Behold! for Ian R Malcomson <ian@domicus.demon.co.uk> spake unto the
multitude thus:

>Jim Davies <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> writes
>>Are there any rules in splatbooks for wooden armour? ISTR that some
>>Native Americans used a sort of bark plywood, and I've seen it in at
>>least one other RPG (though I can't remember which).
>
>Arms & Equipment Guide has bark, wicker, and wood armour:
>
>Bark: Light, 5gp, +2 AC, +5 MxDex, -2 ACP, 15% ASF, 15lb
>Wicker: Light, 1gp, +1 AC, +5 MxDex, +0 ACP, 10% ASF, 5lb
>Wood: Light, 15gp, +3 AC, +4 MxDex, -3 ACP, 15% ASF, 15lb

Bingo. Thanks. I think I'll knock up some heavier versions too.

--

Jim Davies <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote:
>>Arms & Equipment Guide has bark, wicker, and wood armour:
>>
>>Bark: Light, 5gp, +2 AC, +5 MxDex, -2 ACP, 15% ASF, 15lb
>>Wicker: Light, 1gp, +1 AC, +5 MxDex, +0 ACP, 10% ASF, 5lb
>>Wood: Light, 15gp, +3 AC, +4 MxDex, -3 ACP, 15% ASF, 15lb
>
>Bingo. Thanks. I think I'll knock up some heavier versions too.

Don't forget Darkwood (DMG, creating magic items, special materials)...

Donald

"keifer113@gmail.com" <keifer113@gmail.com> wrote:
] Anyone born on the two American continents are Native Americans. If you
] are into PCism, the correct term is Pre-European American.

I doubt my Cherokee ancestors would agree with such nonsense, and
neither do I.

The facts contradict your claim:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:NATIVE+AMERICAN

JimP.
--
http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
http://dice.drivein-jim.net/ my dice collection Feb 10, 2005

"Jim Davies" <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote in message
> Are there any rules in splatbooks for wooden armour? ISTR that some
> Native Americans used a sort of bark plywood, and I've seen it in at
> least one other RPG (though I can't remember which).
>
> Now clearly it's not exactly going to match a masterwork breastplate,
> but wooden armour has several advantages:
> * Druids can wear it
> * It floats, more or less
> * It doesn't rust
> * Low-tech societies can make it
> * Darkwood
>
> The Ironwood spell states that one can make wooden items that become
> as good as steel, but says nothing about what happens if the spell
> ends or is dispelled.

The spell states that the material component for Ironwood is the wood you
cast the spell upon. By my interpretation of material components, that
means that once the spell expires, the wood is destroyed.

Jim Davies wrote:
> Are there any rules in splatbooks for wooden armour? ISTR that some
> Native Americans used a sort of bark plywood, and I've seen it in at
> least one other RPG (though I can't remember which).
>
> Now clearly it's not exactly going to match a masterwork breastplate,
> but wooden armour has several advantages:
> * Druids can wear it
> * It floats, more or less
> * It doesn't rust
> * Low-tech societies can make it
> * Darkwood
>
> The Ironwood spell states that one can make wooden items that become
> as good as steel, but says nothing about what happens if the spell
> ends or is dispelled.

You could also consider Darkleaf armour from the Eberron Campaign Setting.
It's a combinations of specially cured and carved pieces of darkwood,
supplemented by alchemically treated leaves from the darkwood tree.

It can be used to make any medium or heavy armour normally made of metal,
most commonly breastplate or banded mail, and reduces the armour's
encumbrance category by one, like mithral. Unless you've got exceptionally
high DEX, darkleaf breastplate is a more cost-effective alternative to
mithral shirt once you start enhancing it past +1, and it can be worn by
druids.

--
Mark.

"Obi Wan Prestobi" <donotuse@thisaddress.no> wrote in message
> "Jim Davies" <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote in message

> The spell states that the material component for Ironwood is the wood you
> cast the spell upon. By my interpretation of material components, that
> means that once the spell expires, the wood is destroyed.

In that case, there are a lot a cleric spells involving the destruction of
the clerics holy symbol...

--
Trav
hoodyhoo@KODT.net

Suddenly, hikaru, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
exclaimed:

> "Obi Wan Prestobi" <donotuse@thisaddress.no> wrote in message
>> "Jim Davies" <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote in message
>
>> The spell states that the material component for Ironwood is the wood
>> you cast the spell upon. By my interpretation of material
>> components, that means that once the spell expires, the wood is
>> destroyed.
>>

> In that case, there are a lot a cleric spells involving the
> destruction of the clerics holy symbol...

Holy symbols are foci which are not destroyed. That's the main difference
between a focus and a material component.

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:53:34 +0100, Jim Davies
<jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote:
>Now clearly it's not exactly going to match a masterwork breastplate,
>but wooden armour has several advantages:
>* Druids can wear it
>* It floats, more or less
>* It doesn't rust
>* Low-tech societies can make it
>* Darkwood

* No need to spring for a coffin
* Can be recycled into firewood/torches

Regards
Dillon

Obi Wan Prestobi wrote:
> "Jim Davies" <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote in message

> > The Ironwood spell states that one can make wooden items that become
> > as good as steel, but says nothing about what happens if the spell
> > ends or is dispelled.
>
> The spell states that the material component for Ironwood is the wood you
> cast the spell upon. By my interpretation of material components, that
> means that once the spell expires, the wood is destroyed.

Wouldn't that actually mean it was destroyed when the spell is cast?

- Justisaur