OLD cpu upgrade

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I want to upgrade my OLD pentium 133 classic to maybe a 166mmx or a 200mmx. Will i see significant speed increases in my everyday apps. I'm just figuring out if its worth it.

I do NOT need a new pc so please don't recommend one as i have other pc's to use.

<i>DMA - Doesn't Mean Anything :wink: </i>

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Its really hard to make a descision as to how much it will effect performance when we don't know what other components/programs/OS you are using.

If you are running Windows 95 and have 8-16MB of RAM I'ld say you find a massive difference in installing more RAM. A new CPU in this case will do little if anything to speed up your system.

(In the case that you are using 16+MB) If you are using applications that use the MMX instruction set you WILL notice a difference in the speed at which your applications run. Otherwise I would say that noticable gains would be limited.

Regards,

McEwin

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Before you leap into upgrading, it will also depend on your current chipset. The Intel TX and some (magic word is SOME) VX boards can handle the MMX chips because the voltage regulators can handle the voltage for it and can supply dual voltage that these chips need. I cannot recall if the P133 was the first chip to use a dual-voltage core or the last to use the single voltage core. As for the HX, most boards came without the capabilities to hit the 2.8 volts needed for the MMX chips.

If your board supports it, it would be easier for you to find a 233 MMX Intel pentium chip. They're still around and run, on average, under $40 USD. All you would do is set the voltage to 2.8V and the rest as if you're running a P-100 (66 FSB, 1.5 multiplier). The chip (and the AMD K6-233) have a built in 2x multiplier so that 1.5 turns into 3.5 on the multiplier scale.

Also, if you're real adventerous (and you board can support voltages between 2.2 and 2.6volts) go get yourself an AMD k6-2 or K6-III at or above 400MHZ. Leave the settings you have for the 133 (FSB 66, Multiplier 2.0) and adjust the voltage. These AMD chips read the 2.0x multiplier as a 6.0 multiplier and it will give you 400 MHZ, plus MMX and 3Dnow. These chips are under $50 USD.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

G

>worth it

I do hope you're getting these MMX cpu's for free.. if you dont, dont bother. If you do, upgrade (if your motherboard supports it). Another option would be a K6 running at over 300 Mhz, once again, provided your motherboard supports it, and you have enough ram, etc. Getting a cheap, used P2/P3 $200 style computer would probably be a better idea though.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll see some increases. I use Pentium 233 MMX cpu's on just about all Socket 5 and some Socket 7 boards. Although they are made to use 2.8v, they will run at 3.3v for a long time if cooled properly. Also, a K6-2 may be an option, at either 400, 450, or 500MHz. You'll have to provide more information about your motherboard before I can go into that.
The Pentium 233MMX will work on virtually ALL pentium motherboards using the 1.5x (pentium 100) setting, which is interpreted as 3.5x by the CPU.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most people only use the internet, and occasionally a word processor. In that situation, an Pentium 133 with 32MB RAM/Win95 is enough. In the same circumstance, a Pentium 233 with 64MB RAM is MORE than enough. A Pentium 233 with 128MB RAM, a fast hard drive, and USB interface (making a case for Win98SE) is KILLER for the typical user! The typical user does not play 3D games nor do video editing.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Thanks to all for replying and sorry for not giving more info.

Well i have an OLD gigabyte ga586vx rev. 3.35, bios 2.5, so my upgrades are limited upto intel pentium 266mmx, amd k6 200 and cyrix m2 pr-233 (from the gigabyte website), so going to the k6-2 is out of the question.

I'm running win98se with 64megs of sdram. I'm using an OLD ati card, mach64 or something.

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
well we at home had a P166MMX and a P200MMX... both ran nearly idnetically (not much difference in speed)
But when I changed from 32MB RAM in the P200MMX to 128 MB it made a massive difference.. running Win95 with IE 6.0 and Office 2000. things are alot quicker to load and flicking between windows is actually flicking, not click and wait 10 seconds for the computer to catch up to what I've done and probably only redraw the screen every 5 seconds.

so, if you can, upgrade RAM... it relieves the stress on your hard-drive (ie. swap space rarely used) if you wanted a tech. answer.

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A Pentium 233 with 128MB RAM, a fast hard drive, and USB interface (making a case for Win98SE) is KILLER for the typical user!
However, I believe his system (OLD pentium 133 classic) came with slower and out-dated (might not even UDMA33) hard drive, and no built-in USB interface (you need an add-on USB card and that doesn't guaranty it would work properly on old chipset).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
------------------------------------------------------------
Well i have an OLD gigabyte ga586vx rev. 3.35, bios 2.5, so my upgrades are limited upto intel pentium 266mmx, amd k6 200 and cyrix m2 pr-233 (from the gigabyte website), so going to the k6-2 is out of the question
-----------------------------------------------------------
Actually, that's not true. Some K6-2 came out at 66 mHz, plus the 66 FSB X 2.0 multiplier = 400 mHz trick will work as well.

And Balzi, maybe you can explain to me and Microsoft how you were able to get IE 6.0 to run on a Windows 95 machine since they are incompatible. When doing the setup, IE 6.0 searches and will not install on a Windows 95 machine

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look at it this way-if he isn't using USB, no need for it, and no advantage to Win98SE. Which means he can make do with 95b or 95c, which run faster on such equipement and require less memory.
If he wants to get started building a new system, the first thing I would recommend is a new fast hard drive.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oooooh Sh*t I didn't think of that

If you are a newbie and you definitely want to stick with only Windows 95 (whether or not it's A, B, or C) you will want to stick with a K6 under 300 mHz. There's a known bug that will stop Windows from loading. There's a patch for it but if speed isn't THAT important, then play it safe and go with a 233 Intel or AMD chip

Thanks for reminding me crashman

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
balzi:
so, if you can, upgrade RAM...
No more empty slots. I have 2 x 32meg sticks and finding 2 x 64meg 66mhz sdram is hard or expensive.

khha4113:
However, I believe his system (OLD pentium 133 classic) came with slower and out-dated (might not even UDMA33) hard drive, and no built-in USB interface (you need an add-on USB card and that doesn't guaranty it would work properly on old chipset).
Yes, not even udma33. 2 wd, 4.0gig and 1.2gig.

bgates2b:
Actually, that's not true. Some K6-2 came out at 66 mHz, plus the 66 FSB X 2.0 multiplier = 400 mHz trick will work as well.
That would be nice if i can get a hold of one of those and a lot of those old amd chips have there cheap paint rubbed off so i can't tell what speed they are unless i can try it.

Crashman:
Look at it this way-if he isn't using USB, no need for it, and no advantage to Win98SE. Which means he can make do with 95b or 95c, which run faster on such equipement and require less memory. If he wants to get started building a new system, the first thing I would recommend is a new fast hard drive.
Yes, i don't need usb on this old computer, i can use it on the others. I have used win95b on this old system before and it was faster but i think i like/needed win98se (some features/software).

Both the Intel 233 (2.8v) and the AMD 233 (3.2v) will work at the standard 3.3v setting if needed, with proper cooling.
I recall reading on some other post that you said some of the newer fans for some socket works with the old socket7?

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No more empty slots. I have 2 x 32meg sticks and finding 2 x 64meg 66mhz sdram is hard or expensive.
Actually, you're not stuck with PC-66 SDRAM, you can use PC-100 or PC-133 RAM in the system.

That would be nice if i can get a hold of one of those and a lot of those old amd chips have there cheap paint rubbed off so i can't tell what speed they are unless i can try it.
Well, actually the speed is etched into the chip, not painted on. I still see these chips at the local marketpro shows.

I recall reading on some other post that you said some of the newer fans for some socket works with the old socket7?
Actually, I have no problems running the retail HSF from a T-bird 1.2 on a K6-III, without having to change the clip.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, you're not stuck with PC-66 SDRAM, you can use PC-100 or PC-133 RAM in the system.
If I'm not wrong, his system only has <b><A HREF="http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm?term=simm" target="_new"><font color=red>SIMM</A></b></font color=red> (they need to be installed in pair) not <b><A HREF="http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm?term=dimm" target="_new"><font color=red>DIMM</A></b></font color=red>.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, you said you had 66 mhZ SDRAM, which is a DIMM. SIMMS are usually measured as 60 nsec or 70 nsec, EDO, Non-parity, and parity. Make sure though because I do have boards with the VX chipset that have both SIMM slots and DIMM slots.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Heck, just overclock the snot out of it. They didn't put locks on them back in the day...just set your jumpers.

Also anything you can do cache/memory wise will really help a lot.

The cost on all these components is nothing...

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Smilin:
Heck, just overclock the snot out of it. They didn't put locks on them back in the day...just set your jumpers.
Can't (i've tried), i have one of those rare p133 that has the multiplier lock on it.

bgates2b, khha4113 (ram issue)
My vx board has both edo simm and sdram. 4 slots/2 banks for the edo simm and 2 slots/2 banks for the sdram so i could use one stick for sdram.

So if i use PC-100 or PC-133 RAM, they would run at 66mhz?
But can one slot (old board) take 128mb?

bgates2b:
Well, actually the speed is etched into the chip, not painted on. I still see these chips at the local marketpro shows.
But the old K5 or was it the K6-I that were painted.
I got to goto those computer swap meets and try my luck at finding on. Those used computer stores are expensive so i don't think its worth it. On ebay, limited that will sell to Canada. I'm trying to look for a pentium or k6 that is sold with the hsf, so i dont have to buy a new one.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i had an old pentium2 300 (66mhz fsb) i tried to overclock...
when i changed the jumpers the Mhz always went DOWN! very wierd it was
i.e.
3.5 x 66 = 233
4.0 x 66 = 266
4.5 x 66 = 300
5.0 x 66 = 110 ???
5.5 x 66 = 70 ?????

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

yellowood

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
I tend to agree with balzi,

It seemed to me that upgrading my memory from 32meg to 128meg on my P100 made a significant difference. I was running 98se. I then upgraded the CPU to a K6-2 400MHz. This was a further improvement. But then I checked the new processor with only 32megs, the performance drop seemed more significant then the gain with the processor. I don't have any benchmarks to support this, only my subjective evaluation and the sound of my hard drive.

-----
It's a shame we have only one soul to sell...

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure though because I do have boards with the VX chipset that have both SIMM slots and DIMM slots.
Sorry, my mistake. I have a friend that used to have a Pentium 133MHz (Packard Bell) and his mobo only had SIMM.