AMD Upgrade

G

Hi all,
I am new to rig building , but i do have a little experience ie,, tv card and a graphics and a cdrw install for my rig at the moment. So the question is what is the best prosessor for the future rig ?......I am thinking of building a new rig with : 512ram + Geforce 3 (64mb) + DVD + cd-rw + 72000 hdd. what do u think the best prosessor is ?.
trying to avoid INTEL please.

The other thing is: AMD 800 or 1.33 is there a noticable diffrence, either in gameing or just general apps ?.

linux has got to be better !

Yep you'll see a difference in some gameing. The amount of CPU utilisation will be the same, but as you have more power, the gameing should be smoother (assuming your gfx stuff is configured correctly).

I'd go for an XP1600 +

That'll keep you going for a couple of years.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
That depends how fast you want to go and how deep you want to reach in your pocket. Though price to performance would be 1600 or 1700. You'll be paying top dollar for the higher speed.

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I can surf the web just fine with my pentium-133 and play DVDs on my pentium 350 underclocked to 300 mHz. Don't play video games on your computer -- they are a waste of time. Save your money and put it in a mutual fund.