Upgrading a PIII

G

Hello everyone.I'm new to this forum.This is my first time posting, although I have been reading this website for a few weeks.I have a Gateway PIII 450, sucky i know but it was my first PC.Now I know better.I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the cpu to another PIII that runs faster.Thanks for any info.I have 320mb's of sdram pc100, 13 gb hd, and ati 16 mb video card.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
It depends on your motherboard. What model Gateway PC do you have? You (or someone) will have to go to the Gateway website and figure out what motherboard your pc has and what processors it can support. And you may have to do a BIOS update to get it to run faster processors.

<i>There are two theories on arguing with women. Neither one works.</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have a few choices, the PIII 850 is the fastest normall PIII that runs at full speed, the Celeron on the same core goes up to 1100 (it takes that much speed to match the PIII 850). Those normally come in Socket 370 form factor and would require a standard slotket (socket to slot converter) for around $10 and a Socket 370 cooler for around $10.

The next better upgrade is the Celeron 1.2GHz Tualatin (much better than other Celerons), but that requires the special Powerleap iP3/T adapter, and the complete package with cooler is available from Powerleap for $169.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

I want to upgrade to a PIII Crashman.If I get the PIII you mentioned will it replace the current cpu without buying anything else additional.Like buying a slocket or was that just for the Celeron.I have the funds.What else will I need to do the job.And how big of performance gain am I looking at?And what else would you recommend?