Sign in with
Your question

Athlon XP 1600

Last response: in CPUs
January 23, 2002 5:52:17 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading to an Athlon XP 1600, is this CPU "overclockable"? If so, is it worth it?

More about : athlon 1600

January 23, 2002 6:00:31 AM

Yes it is, and its the best bang for your bucks among amd chips right now IMO.(the 1700+ is close second)

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 23, 2002 8:02:59 PM

Hey Mat.......Finally, I just upgraded =) to the XP 1600+ .......it's damn overclockable...................
And surprisingly I'm using the board you dread a lot....the ECS K7S5A =) Stable if not mroe stable than my previous 440BX Celery 300A @ 450 combo......thsi machine, by far, is AMAZING.......witht he Thermaltake Volcanoo 6Cu+ it idles at 37 celcious and running any benchmark, 3D Game, anything, it never goes over 42...... =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
Related resources
January 23, 2002 8:15:21 PM

If you get a good one, the board is a gem, but its the getting part thats hard.

January 23, 2002 8:40:28 PM

I know....I had some HUGE BAD LUCK with its sister board...the PC Chips M830LR.....OH MY GOD!!!! i refunded THOSE BOARDS (I had 2 alomsot 3 but decided to retrun it for a refund, than baught the ECS K7S5A for cheaper than what i paid for the PC Chips board...and OMG not only is it a sharp looking board, but ti performs GREAT too =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
January 24, 2002 4:34:56 AM

So what motherboard do people recommend for an XP1600 that will be overclocked? Also what cooling?
January 24, 2002 4:43:36 AM

My friend has an axp1600 clocked at 1.6ghz on a soyo dragon cooled by the latest from swiftech and a delta fan and he mentioned something about a peltier? i'm not sure what his cooling setup is but i believe that a peltier is for watercooling, who knows? oh well, have fun in your journey to your future system :smile:

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>
January 24, 2002 6:33:49 AM

So Matisaro, you don't like VIA and you don't like ECS boards, understandably. What board would you recommend right now for an AMD processor? The nforce?

<i>There are two theories on arguing with women. Neither one works.</i>
January 24, 2002 6:43:34 AM

I recommend the ECS K7S5A. Even if some of these guys got a bad sample it's still worth it to get a good one.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
January 25, 2002 6:22:32 AM

Quote:
So Matisaro, you don't like VIA and you don't like ECS boards, understandably. What board would you recommend right now for an AMD processor? The nforce?

I dont dislike via, I dislike OLD via chipsets, and I had a kt133, and a kt133a motherboard, and I never had a stability issue, but too many had to be ignored. Newer via chipsets DO NOT have stability issues, and I feel as confident in reccomending a kt266a motherboard as I would reccomending an alimagik(on stability) or an amd760.(which I run now, kg7 raid, abit.)

That having been said, I personally If I were buying a new mobo today would get something in an nforce flavor.(because it has killer sound and great performance), the onboard video is a moot point, but it cant hurt.

To dhluke, I got4(3 or 4, its been months) bad ecsk7s5a boards in a row, 4! This is UNACCEPTABLE, to me, so I do not reccomend anyone buy that motherboard, HOWEVER, if you buy the mobo locally, and returning one or 2 at worst is not an issue, once you have a good one, those boards are gems. Its a personal choice really, if one buys mailorder I would wholeheartedly advise against the ecs, return time on a possible doa is just too expensive.

Any more questions?

PS: specfic mobo reccomendations.

kt266a: Abit KR7-raid
amd760: Abit KG7-raid
kt133a: Abit KT7a-raid
Nforce: I havent looks around much, something from abit/asus would be fine.]

Hmm, I see a pattern above, must be my overclocker/tweaker love of abit shining through.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2002 6:58:47 AM

Mat,

I am still convinced you did someting wrong with these ECS boards. I know they've had a quality control issue for some time (which seems to be solved now), but 4 in a row is hard to believe. Do the math. Even with an unbelieveable high 20% DOA rate, the chances of getting 4 dead boards in a row are -if I remember my math- (1/5)^4 or some 0,16%. Thats a lot worse than bad luck.

Im pretty sure you did something wrong. I know certain revisions of the board came with mislabeled and/or misplaced jumpers for the keyboard-on function. I know mine wouldnt boot at all, until I changed that jumper. No problems ever since.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
January 25, 2002 7:25:08 AM

Ok, I can accept doubt.

I got the first board at frys, I took it home, put it together as per my usual quick and accurate style.

It would not boot the first time, I doublechecked the cables and tried again, wuala it boots the second try, ok, install windows xp, on the first reboot it wouldnt start again...ok, thats weird, so I try hitting the power once more, it started(and continued install of xp)....ok another weird. Third reboot, gives me a bios checksum error(wtf??) so I reset the bios and try again, no boot. Third time after bios reboot, it started up, and finished windows installation.

The mobo would not boot up but once every 9 or so tries, and every once in a while it would give a bad checksum in the bios and i would have to reset it.

OK, THE FIRST thing i did when I got the net working on the new pc, was research the board, then I learned all the people who had the same symptoms as me, and changed EVERY one of their reccomendations( frys, where I bought the board is about an hour away,((fatburger can attest to that)) and I was LOATHE to have to drive back to replace the mobo) I spent a good 10 hours trying their fixes, nothing relieved the issue.(putting the capaciter in the pwron lead on the mobo was where I drew the line)

I went back to frys with the whole computer, I explained to them what my issue was, and that I wanted to return the mobo, then I demanded to be allowed to install the computer there before leaving(damn drive) they gave me a table and a screwdriver, and 3 hours later 3 of the ecs mobos exibited the same problem, I tried all the tweaks on all 3 of them. After the third i spend another 100 to get a kg7-raid(and sold the guy my wifes kt7-raid).

I did not make any mistakes, I swapped out all the hardware in the guys pc(which i was building) with my current pc, both ways, no issues occured. When i set up the kt7-raid with all of his components, there was no issue.

Even at 20% if there was a bad batch, and frys stacked them together, that would explain the run of bad boards. I cannot in good faith reccomend the k7s5a to an online order, and only after making sure they realize it may have to be returned, can I reccomend its purchase at a brick and mortar shop.

January 25, 2002 7:27:01 AM

By the way, the keyboard on jumper was the first fix I tried.

January 25, 2002 8:43:51 AM

Quote:
I dont dislike via, I dislike OLD via chipsets, and I had a kt133, and a kt133a motherboard, and I never had a stability issue, but too many had to be ignored. Newer via chipsets DO NOT have stability issues, and I feel as confident in reccomending a kt266a motherboard as I would reccomending an alimagik(on stability) or an amd760.(which I run now, kg7 raid, abit.)

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I have a Shuttle AK31A right now, which I like very much. The only complaint I have is that I can't get it to run with the FSB above 147. I've also had a KX133 board and an AMD760 board, and didn't have any problems with either of those. I'd like to try an nForce next time, but am waiting for ATA133, USB 2.0, and DDR333 to all arrive. I'm also glad nVidia is making versions without the onboard video, since I don't need it and it will lower the cost.

<i>There are two theories on arguing with women. Neither one works.</i>
January 25, 2002 10:33:30 AM

You talk the truth. I have the AbitKR7A w out Raid and love it. The Abit you can also up the volts on the DDR giving you some more MHz. I'm an Abit or Asus man also.

P.S The Abit you can also up the volts on the DDR giving you some more MHz. This is for other readers, since you all ready know this.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 01/25/02 07:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 25, 2002 11:11:58 AM

hmmm just to be sure, so the XP1600 is overclockable as it is when you buy it ?
It just because I remeber the article "Plastic Surgery:
Releasing The Athlon XP To Hit 2000+" and I thought that was the practice for all XP cpu's.
January 25, 2002 12:03:19 PM

For some reason frank vokkel devised a super hard way to do something easy. Unlocking an axp is not nearly as difficult as that article made it seem.

January 25, 2002 12:28:30 PM

I personally like the Gigabyte boards,they are often forgoten but are good low cost boars.
I would recommend the GA-7VTXH+
From Gigabyte :
Socket A for AMD Athlon™/Athlon™XP/Duron™ 200/266 MHz FSB processors

Supports 500MHz ~ 2000+ CPU and faster
FSB adjustable by BIOS up to 161MHz(no guarantee)
Supports CPU multiplier 5.0/5.5/.../12.5
CPU voltage overclockable by adding 5%, 10% CPU voltage

Thats is my personnal favorate right now as far as quality/price goes.

Sorry for my spelling I'm french...hey I ain't perfect!
January 25, 2002 12:47:56 PM

Quote:
For some reason frank vokkel devised a super hard way to do something easy.

How do i do it the easy way? as i would like to OC the multiplyer on my 1800+... and am wondering if it can be done without the use of many tools...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
January 25, 2002 3:04:13 PM

I have the KR7A 2400DDR mem. Lock-XP1800=1533MHz over clock at an easy 1633MHz, just buy raising the FSB and upping the volts. I'm sure the XP1600 would do the same. A good mobo and Ram is important though.
January 25, 2002 4:23:06 PM

A peltier is a device that transport heat from the cold side to the warm side very fast by using electricity. This will result in a low temp (around 0 C on a CPU) on the cold side, and a very high (the heat generated by your CPUx2) temp, you will have to cool this very well in order to keep it working, watercooling is the best solution but aircooling can do with low wattege peltier (under 100 W), but you need atleast a 80W peltier in order to work good with the XP.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
January 26, 2002 3:32:51 AM

for like 3 bucks you can get metal lead tapes(I forgot what they are called), which are little pieces of tape with metal lines in them and just tape the bridges closed.

January 26, 2002 5:06:43 AM

my friend went through 3 ECS boards at frys also...so i know what mat went through...we spent all day trying to get the board to work, after that experience i wouldnt recommend ECS to anyone either
January 26, 2002 5:23:40 AM

Hey heavy metal, do you live in oregon?

Was the frys you went to in wilsonville?

January 26, 2002 6:56:09 PM

LoL........Please don't tell me he went to the EXACT same oen as you did and got THE EXACT SAME boards that you tryed from them....hah hah...... ah well...

I got an ECS K7S5A....lemme tell you, not ONE problem thus far.......great board......its sister board, the PC Chips M830LR...OMG did that thing have problems......in total i tryed 3 different ones.....all had the same problem in the end, THEY DIDNT POST/DO ANYTHING but the power would be on.....stupid pieces of #$%^ so than I got the ECS Board...worked on the first try and without a single lockup, spontaneous reboot, or not doing anything at all.....and Perofrmance.....im running CL2 Apacer SDRAM and according to Sandra, I'm RIGHT on pace with most of the DDR Boards/ram combo. in the Memory Benchamrk........gotta love this setup....I just which There was a way to overclock with this board........I havent been able to find a Bios for it that will let me change the FSB past 133 and/or have the Multiplier adjustable (I plan to unlock this puppy soon too) any advice on the Bios anyone i'd be most thrilled to read about it... =)

Oh, and HeavyMetal.........were u trying to steal my name or what? =) j/k

-MeTaL RoCkEr

January 26, 2002 7:39:01 PM

The reason i asked metalrocker, is that when I was at frys on my quest, I met a guy doing the same thing. He told me that he had returned his k7s5a but was dissapointed because he had read good reviews on toms and anandtech....perking up at the mention of my stomping grounds I asked him if he read the thg forums, he said yes, but he did not post. I then asked him if he knew who Matisaro was...and he did!

::is famous!::

Anyways, I told him he should join the convos on the forums sometime, and this guy reminded me of the incident.

January 28, 2002 4:00:51 AM

kt266a: Abit KR7-raid
amd760: Abit KG7-raid
kt133a: Abit KT7a-raid

Do I really need a mobo with raid, isn't it cheaper without it?
January 28, 2002 6:52:46 AM

Raid is optional, usually its 10-20 more, but even if you dont use the raid, it still gives you 2 more ide channels, which can be helpful. All of those boards have non raid versions if you still dont wish raid.

!