P4 at 3675MHz.........Crazy People I Say

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Check it out........
Just click <A HREF="http://www.muropaketti.com/artikkelit/cpu/northwood2200/ln2/" target="_new"> here </A>.

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep
the wonders of liquid nitrogen.

also seen a XP1800+ above 2200Mhz. yum.

i wonder if anyone would like to try liquid helium??? now THAT would give the ultimate overclock!

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

dhlucke

Polypheme
I want to see someone get their system hooked up with superliquid Helium 4 at 2 Kelvin. It could double as airconditioning!

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
that is if the chip doesnt crack.
im just wondering if you would see superconductivity if one kept the temp down below 20 Kelvin. would be interesting...
zero resistance.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I am curious as to whether that attempt is <b>only</b> possible on PIV's. My reason being that AMD's seem to heat up much to quickly and would crack, while the PIV's seem gradual and would have time to "adapt" to the extreme cooling conditions. Comments?

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

dhlucke

Polypheme
No comments on this. I can't believe how fast there is an attempt to start a war on even the simplest topics.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
im just wondering if you would see superconductivity if one kept the temp down below 20 Kelvin

If you did, it would render the chip useless (while at the temperature at least). Transistors rely on resistance to work.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no... i dont see how it could be...

i read the article and from what i understand they put the container on the chip, filled it with liquid nitrogen, then only AFTER the temp dropped off did they boot it up.

one reason to use a thick bulky liquid nitrogen container... the initial rate of cooling for the chip isnt too excessive.

and like i said... Liquid nitrogen has been used effectively on the athlon XP. up to 2200Mhz for a XP1800+.
so no problems there. wonders of liquid nitrogen... its so damn cold any heat created by the chip is instantly removed, thus the -170 temperatures.

aarona

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
Well, they didn't hold their record long just as they predicted. Someone from Japan got 3.8Ghz using an Abit TH7II.
http://holicho.lib.net/

They also got a 1.6NW up to 3.2Ghz. Wow 100% overclock!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>My reason being that AMD's seem to heat up much to quickly and would crack

ROFL! AMD cpu's are fragile, so true!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Bad Post I know, but I swear I read an article that said Intel already has a P4 running at 10ghz. As current designs do not allow for this I can only assume that they are using some sort of liquid coolant. So from scores being reported on OCing and Intels own statements there is a very large gap to filled. I understand that p4 OCing HAS to take place in FSB and I am sure that Intel just unlocked their chip and propertly OC to achieve 10ghz (As Engineering goes I wouldnt really call it OC). My question is this, did the FSB restrict any further OCing? Or did the CPU become over taxed? If the latter is true than did -170 become the CPU's max heat tolerance at 3700mhz. If I am not mistaken supercoducters are not made in the same fashion so I can only assume that you cannot make a coductor go superconductive. I have a second question though. How does electricity react in a 0g, Vacuum enviroment?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I can assure you that Intel does NOT have a chip running at 10GHz.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I read the 10 Ghz article. It's theoretical and it's expected in 3 years or so.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
that is if the chip doesnt crack.
im just wondering if you would see superconductivity if one kept the temp down below 20 Kelvin. would be interesting...
zero resistance.

The chips timing is designed to account for resistance, if you removed all resistance I am positive it would not work.

In fact I recall an article from a while back, where they put ln2 through a waterblock and the cpu would not boot below a certain temprature.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!