more Athlon XP help...

G

Ok I upgraded my power supply to a 300 watt ATX, ordered from 3D Cool, so it's definitely a good supply, but here's my problem now...
I’m having a very odd problem with my new AMD Processor. I have it plugged into an A-Bit KG7 motherboard with the latest BIOS update for Athlon XP support. The problem I’m having with it, is that it will not boot into XP at anything higher than 1512Mhz (12.0x126Mhz). The processor does POST at 1.6ghz, and also goes as far as starting to load Windows (XP Professional), but then I get a blue screen, stating that I was having some sort of hardware problem. The message was:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Then it said to check my hardware configuration and try booting into safe mode. At the end of the screen it gave some sort of stop error code that read:

STOP 0x0000000A (0xE1595000, 0x000000B0, 0x00000001, 0x805515B2)

I’m not sure but I think it’s a hardware resource or something of that nature. Anyway, I was wondering if you could help me figure out in any way how to get the full potential out of this processor

My hardware specifications are as follows…

AMD Athlon XP 1900+
512mb PC2100 Registered ECC DDR SDRAM from Crucial
VisionTek GeForce 3 Ti 200, 64mb
ABit KG7 Motherboard
SoundBlaster Live! Value soundcard
Linksys LNE TX100 PNic Ethernet card
IBM DeskStar 46gb ATA-100 HDD
Creative Labs 56x CD-Rom
Windows XP Professional, upgrade installation from Windows 98 SE

My guess is that the upgraded install may be a problem, but I want to make sure

PLEASE HELP!

svol

Champion
A couple of things to try:
1. Set the FSB to 133 and the PCI divider to 1/4 or select Athlon XP1900 in the BIOS.
2. Set the DDR voltage to 2.5V, some DDR modules prefer lower setting as 2.5V is the standard.
3. Remove the SBlive card and try to install XP without it, you have a 686b Southbridge which can give problems with the SBLive.
4. Check if your DDR speed is set to auto and CAS 2.5.

Maybe this FAQ can help you also:<A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kg7kr7faq.htm" target="_new">http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kg7kr7faq.htm</A>.

Good luck.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

Thanks for the help man. I'll check all that out as soon as I get home from class.
Thanks again

G

If you remove everything other than your graphics card (all your other PCI cards), does the system boot in safe mode?

Just curious, whay did you get ECC ram? DO you really need it? It slows down your memory access, you know.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by aj0408 on 01/24/02 03:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
Do you have enabled ECC check, if you have see if disabling helps.
How does your BIOS detects your CPU, does it say Athlon XP 1600+?
Also try if reseting the BIOS works.

G

No good booting into safe mode, no good removing all hardware except graphics board, ECC is disabled.

I ordered ECC because I need registered SDRAM to use all 4 slots on the motherboard. Oddly enough, the system is now running stable at 1536Mhz (12 x 128Mhz). It just doesn't make sense to me. I've tried adjusting voltages, setting up everything manually, all that good stuff, but still no go

yellowood

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
have you tried putting the RAM in slot 4, the furthest from the CPU? Or booting with regular RAM?

try it out

-----
It's a shame we have only one soul to sell...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Have you tried a fresh install of windows xp? Generally upgrading os's especially from one entire core technology to another is a no no in my book.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

The memory is already installed correctly, that was my initial problem (ha!), and everything else mentioned I've tried except for the clean XP install, which I had hoped to save as a last resort before the absolute last resort (new mobo), but I think I'll try that soon.
thanx

G

P&P OS is set to Yes and the motherboard is the KG7 without raid. I'm going to do a full format and reinstall WindowsXP Pro as soon as I get the chance, see if that helps me any

G

And oddly enough...
See if you can figure this one out

The processor will run perfectly stable at 1584 (12x132Mhz) but anything higher is out of the question

wierd wierd [-peep-]...

svol

Champion
Very strange.
I've got the XP1600+ and it works at 133 MHz on my KG7-RAID.

Check if the settings in the SoftMenu are like this.

CPU Operating Speed: XP1900+ (or else)
if set to manual:
Multiplierer Factor: x12
CPU FSB Clock(MHz): 133
FSB Rate (CPU:SDRAM:pCI): 4:4:1
Speed Error Hold: Disabled

Power Supply Controller: Manual
VCore Voltage: 1.75V (also try 1.8V to see if that works).
I/O Voltage: 3.3V
DDR Vcc Voltage 2.55V

And check if your temps aren't too high.