Sign in with
Your question

NEW AMD RETAIL PACKAGING

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2002 11:37:55 PM

I would like to inform you of AMD's new Retail packaging for it's processors. The link is here:

http://www.ons.ne.jp/~bluemap/amd.htm

I really think it looks cheap, perhaps AMD is trying to cut costs to stay out of the red.

"Heat is a form of energy, thus the Law of Conservation of Energy holds!" - James Prescott Joule

More about : amd retail packaging

January 24, 2002 12:00:38 AM

I refuse to buy any AMD products anymore. The packaging was everything to me!

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2002 12:35:00 AM

How can they have "Windows XP" stated on the box?!!?!? That is really driving me mad.

"Heat is a form of energy, thus the Law of Conservation of Energy holds!" - James Prescott Joule
Related resources
January 24, 2002 12:39:02 AM

The nerve of them!!

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
January 24, 2002 12:40:58 AM

why?

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
January 24, 2002 12:54:32 AM

and how dare they stop using ceramic packaging...

i was gonna get a collection of old durons and tile my bathroom!

Question: does arctic silver epoxy make good tile grout??? :D 

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
January 24, 2002 1:02:31 AM

LOL, this thread is funny.
Rather than worrying about something as stupid as the packaging, I'm interested to know how well that retail HSF works. That's not the same as the one they used to have is it?

LHGPooBaa: He’s talking about the plastic container it’s in rather than the organic packaging.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2002 1:27:24 AM

LOL, AMD marketing guys are such idiots. They said "XP stands for eXtreme Performance, the naming scheme has no reference to the Windows XP operating system. Yeh, right. Looks like their trying to target the idiot market, that is, customers stupid enough to say "Oh, this one is DESIGNED for XP, so that makes it better"! No, more operations per cycle and fewer branch mispredictions make it perform better clock-for-clock than the P4, but they took even that advantage away with their new "PR" scheme. At least they still hold "bang for the buck" awards.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 24, 2002 1:30:05 AM

AMD, Intel, and Microsoft are all working hand in hand to get the industry going again. You can't blame them for that. All of them are leaning on each other, hoping to get people buying PC's again.

I'd say they're doing the right thing. It annoys me, but it is the right thing to do. Both Intel and AMD claim that WinXP is optimized for their CPU.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2002 1:41:43 AM

Everybody knows that Intel and Msft are best buddies, and nobody gives a crap about AMD. They need to market for themselves.

January 24, 2002 1:45:42 AM

heh... why would one want to have the label "designed for microsoft windows"???

u mean expensive, buggy, prone to bluescreens and generall unsecure...

sounds more like a dodgey Via chipset to me!

P.S. i still wanna tile my bathroom with ceramic durons :D 

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2002 1:49:42 AM

I have some AMD 486's that have screenprinted on them "designed for Windows 95"!

January 24, 2002 2:19:56 AM

I don't think that that cheap plastic looking fan does it for me...I think I'll stick to cheap OEM and water cooling
January 24, 2002 3:28:19 AM

Who the hell are these newbies comin in here and posting outrageous crap the day after they register. The truth is AMD and Microsoft DID work together to optimize WinXP for BOTH Intel and AMD. Why should they ignore that fact and "market for themselves", or whatever that means.

Hard work often pays off in time, but laziness always pays off now.
January 24, 2002 4:21:43 AM

Quote:
LOL, AMD marketing guys are such idiots. They said "XP stands for eXtreme Performance, the naming scheme has no reference to the Windows XP operating system.

well... not sure where you got that from...
i get this from the AMD (Athlon) Website...
Quote:
The AMD Athlon™ XP processor is the name of the newest desktop processor from AMD. The "XP" modifier is designed to convey the extreme performance AMD Athlon XP processors deliver for the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.

... yes it sounds like they are targeting the idiot market... but really, the market IS mostly idiots... at least when it comes to the CPU market... which generally doesn't make them idiots...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2002 4:27:26 AM

Colored fans work fine.

January 24, 2002 4:33:17 AM

i find it eye catching and makes me feel like a little boy again buying an action figure. i see my puter as a toy, honestly, and the packaging for the retail axp's make it look like a toy. the green fan looks cool imo, and the packaging also. just my opinions..

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>
January 24, 2002 6:40:39 AM

I want a green fan ... then I'd really have to put a window in my case, just so I could see it and my rounded cables. How hard is it? I have a Dremel tool, but I'm not sure about cutting up my nice Lian-Li case.

<i>There are two theories on arguing with women. Neither one works.</i>
January 24, 2002 2:12:55 PM

From a Distributor information center for the AMD products.
Sorry i can't give you the link it's password protected.

AMD Athlon processors were used in the design and development of the Windows XP operating system, which helps to ensure that systems based on AMD processors offer excellent OS compatibility. AMD and Microsoft's strong working relationship dates back over a decade to the first version of Windows. Over the years, AMD processors have powered some of the most reliable PC systems for Windows applications, increasing productivity and enjoyment for end-users.

The same goes for Intel if you want me to find it for you guys.

Sorry for my spelling I'm french...hey I ain't perfect!
January 24, 2002 2:20:10 PM

That is the ceramic packaging I see, right? I thought all XP Athlons were in the brown or green organic packaging. Ah well.

-SammyBoy
January 24, 2002 2:34:55 PM

Quote:
That is the ceramic packaging I see, right? I thought all XP Athlons were in the brown or green organic packaging. Ah well.

It's not exactly a reliable source. This could be an old prototype for the packaging, and this site just discovered it.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
January 24, 2002 11:42:07 PM

True, true. I didn't think of that one. So, anyone see any benches for the new HSF then?

-SammyBoy
January 25, 2002 5:55:01 AM

Quote:
LOL, AMD marketing guys are such idiots. They said "XP stands for eXtreme Performance, the naming scheme has no reference to the Windows XP operating system. Yeh, right. Looks like their trying to target the idiot market, that is, customers stupid enough to say "Oh, this one is DESIGNED for XP, so that makes it better"! No, more operations per cycle and fewer branch mispredictions make it perform better clock-for-clock than the P4, but they took even that advantage away with their new "PR" scheme. At least they still hold "bang for the buck" awards.

Given the average computer users knowledge, and the honesty of amds pr rating(they dont try and blow smoke up your ass and give a good view of performance IMO) I for one cannot blame amd, and I say bravo. Untill the average computer buyer realizes mhz is meaningless amd should use the pr ratings.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 25, 2002 8:01:06 AM

I agree with you. Keep it on simple terms. Can't expect to sell a product with a long paragraph planted on the frontside of the box explaining performance or caveats. NVidia doesn't do that, and neither do Intel.
!