Win 7 Slow to Boot

Last response: in Windows 7
February 16, 2013 11:05:00 PM

I recently built a new machine.
Gigagyte 970A-UD3 MOB.
AMD FX 8350 CPU.
Kingston KHX 1600 8GX x 2
Running Windows 7 Ultimate.
1st problem, cannot clock mob/bios to 1600mhz.
(Kingston was GREAT, replaced the memory). Still says 1333mhz.
2nd problem, , win 7 slow to boot. Over 1 minute to sign in screen, then another wait.
Occasional blue screen, Code Oxc000000e.
Any thoughts.
RR

More about : win slow boot

February 16, 2013 11:30:20 PM

My slow boot issue with a gigabyte 990fx ud3 tuned out to be an external drive I had connected.

Disconnect everything but the monitor mouse and keyboard, then try it.
m
l
February 16, 2013 11:33:33 PM

My boot is like 2 min, i have gadgets to load so yeah, but i was starting to think i might want to get a ssd. They may have low storage space but i hear it's hell of a lot faster at booting the os.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 11:40:02 PM

Hell yeah !!! 9sec for me (but not the same config, however expect a 10-15sec load time with all startup programs still enabled)
m
l
February 16, 2013 11:48:47 PM

lookerup said:
My boot is like 2 min, i have gadgets to load so yet, but i was starting to think i might want to get a ssd. They may have low storage space but i hear it's hell of a lot faster at booting the os.

The little fire flies that form the "window" at start up....They never make it to the shape of a window. They start to come together and then my desktop pops up.

SSD's are great for that.
m
l
February 17, 2013 12:17:01 AM

wish i could afford. Really expensive for me even for something under 40 gb.
m
l
February 17, 2013 1:09:07 AM

Clean your Windows system. Ctrl+R --> Type 'msconfig'. Then clean unwanted start-up files and services.
m
l
February 17, 2013 2:01:00 AM

gadgets/program booting up takes time for the pc to actually load.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 2:14:32 AM

rhr first make sure your new mb has the newest bios for all the cpu and ram code. F8a is the last bios. check that your sata drives are on the amd ports if the mb has two sata chipsets. make sure the sata ports set to achi mode. run cpu-z and under the spd tab write down the xmp profile for the ram. amd does not yet have for all there mb the same intel xmp profile. amd is now on some of there newer mb and ram vendor a setting like amd xmp profile. you have to go into dram timing and set the speed yourself. there are with mb and windows two boot times...first is the cmos post time..some mb with windows 8 and ssd have very fast boot times. most new mb have a setting called fast boot. on some mb when fast boot is turned on the f1/del key may not work on all usb/wireless mb to get back into the bios. most mb vendors now give you a windows program to change your bios or to boot into the bios on reboot. if you dont mind using these programs you can change the wait on error to low time and the mb splash screen to off. this cut down the time on the cmos boot. also most new mb have two bios now the old stock bios and the newer efi bios. most people run with both of them on. most mb you can turn off the old bios and run with efi boot only to cut down boot time.
m
l
February 17, 2013 9:54:56 PM

smorizio said:
rhr first make sure your new mb has the newest bios for all the cpu and ram code. F8a is the last bios. check that your sata drives are on the amd ports if the mb has two sata chipsets. make sure the sata ports set to achi mode. run cpu-z and under the spd tab write down the xmp profile for the ram. amd does not yet have for all there mb the same intel xmp profile. amd is now on some of there newer mb and ram vendor a setting like amd xmp profile. you have to go into dram timing and set the speed yourself. there are with mb and windows two boot times...first is the cmos post time..some mb with windows 8 and ssd have very fast boot times. most new mb have a setting called fast boot. on some mb when fast boot is turned on the f1/del key may not work on all usb/wireless mb to get back into the bios. most mb vendors now give you a windows program to change your bios or to boot into the bios on reboot. if you dont mind using these programs you can change the wait on error to low time and the mb splash screen to off. this cut down the time on the cmos boot. also most new mb have two bios now the old stock bios and the newer efi bios. most people run with both of them on. most mb you can turn off the old bios and run with efi boot only to cut down boot time.

Got it. Printed it. Have some learning to do. Will work on it over the next few days.
Thank You for the help.
RHR
m
l
!