The difference between a Volcano 7 and a tenor?

eden

Champion
They both can't tone down!!!
All right first I'd like to say I got my new comp, and it is one sweet thing. Everything works fine, runs fast but I have one major gripe:
This volcano 7 everything talks about, is it some missing airplane jet engine or what!
No seriously guys, this thing, I swear it blows so noisy that I hear it from the other side of the house!
I mean I know my friend has this incredibly noisy P3 1GHZ, but once he put it on the floor rather than near him, it really felt more silent! But this one? HA! I lowered it, it's like it has its own gamma rays and can transperse walls! I could hear the same noise.
Is it normal that this thing rolls silent as a kitten on first boot in morning, but after 15 minutes it becomes an opera concerto??? And if so what should I do to stop this! Like I said, I tried putting it on the floor (the comp) and it was the same, weird how it's different than my friend.

Anyways thanks in advance, and help me!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i am pretty sure the Volcano 7 has an automatic variable speed fan, which is dependant on temp... but from what i have heard the high speed rarely kicks in... maybe the sensor, etc isn't setup quite right...

how was rbc? i am thinking of going there this weekend and ordering a 1700+ AMD system...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

eden

Champion
Oh they were great!
They were very generous to offer some rebates too, since I had already a maxed out budget. Those guys really are the best.
The only thing is this HSF that is annoying me, it seems like it does have to spin at full since 50º comes often in the CPU. I don't mind high temps, I mean even stock HSFs are enough for home users, but what would you all recommend I try to isolate this sound without compromising heat dissipation? I was thinking to put it on floor, have a table top around it, and some foam in the sides. I dunno how effective that is...

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

svol

Champion
Could also be some wind turbulence that creates the most sound. I have a Alpha PAL6035 with a Delta 60mm HP 7000rpm fan with a Rheostat to control it. It is very difficult to make this fan quiet, if you lower the rpm with the Rheostat it only will go to about 6000 rpm and if you turn it even lower it suddenly is under the 1000rpm, very strange.
Maybe if you place a good resistor between the fan and the powersource you can lowwer the Wattage by lowering the Voltage and the Amperege.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Try putting in a normal case fan to get some better air flow through the system. That might decrease the noise by letting the Volcano 7 run on lower RPMs.

Also, make sure there is plenty of room for air to flow to and from the case outside the case. Sticking it in a cabinet or enclosed space isn't the greatest.

Don't put foam on the walls of the case, the case is designed to help aleviate some of the temp issues, that's why they are usually made of metal.

I sold my soul to Microsoft, and all I got was this lousy operating system.

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
thanks, i am on a maxed budget too... (trying not to spend a penny over 2200 CDN) i have heard a lot of good things... so i am going there this weekend...

As someone else said a case fan (or 2 could help, but that means you have to go buy and install them) some people use insulation for the noise, but they generally have setups that have tons of case fans... you could look into replacing the fan, or getting a better heatsink... canadacomputers.com (kingston) seems to have a little more in the heatsink market... good luck

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

eden

Champion
I currently have no case fans inside, but the case has both sides filled with air holes. I've noticed the fan speed is relative to temperature, so average 46º goes for 4600 rpm or higher!
I have a feeling this cooling isn't gonna be that fun, especially when retail fans would do same cooling but no noise...
What would you suggest?? How much would case fans help decrease?

--

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
you could try replacing the fan on the heatsink, i, however don't know of too many places around ottawa that sell quieter HSF fans...

eden

Champion
Well I've e-mailed RBC and they told me that it's normal that it spins this high cuz my CPU temp IS HIGH so the thermal sensor does the job of good cooling at high noise. They recommended a case fan, since I have a rear fan spot. I am dealing now with them to see what's best : Change to V6 CU or add a case fan. If adding case fan reduces dramatically the noise, I will get one, if not then switch to a standard cooling with much lower noise!

--

eden

Champion
Ok how much do case fans cool? I need an average of 7-10 º, as that will roughly take 1000 rpm off and it should silence it much more.
Please tell me as Canadian prices are high, 15$ for normal case fans.

--

G

I would say that if you add 1 or 2 system fan, you should be ok refering to <A HREF="http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/cooling/volcano_7/5.htm" target="_new">this review. </A>

AMD vs Intel : the misinformation war! :tongue:

eden

Champion
I was thinking that too, I will first ask them to put in 1, then turn on system for a while and see how much noise it will generate, and how much temp will CPU go for. That is after 10-15 minutes sadly. Then ask for another if noise is still unsatisfactory.

--