mapped drive takes 3min to open

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
ok... more problems, same network. now, a mapped drive to my mp3 server takes 3+ min to open!! i click it and nothing happens, then the flashlight comes up and it finally loads. when i play mp3s from there they skip etc. i have done nothing to it at all. i have 4000 mp3's in the folder, does that matter? why was it fine before? when i connect to my server its fine. when i connect to a test folder on the mp3 server, its fine also.. the mp3 computer has 384mb ram.

everything here is so damn slow!!! i just cant figure out how to setup the ad on the 2k server correctly. what static ip do i give it? do i get that from the router info? how do i get the isps dns server ip?

ANOTHER UPDATE: the "test" folder i shared takes ~30 seconds to open and all it contains is 1 txt file. its reporting that its at 100mbps... something else is wrong.

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tdean on 02/06/03 10:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
are your computers in the domain now? as for what ip to give the server, just make one up! as i have told you before it does not matter. heres what i did with mine. my routers ip is 192.168.1.1. i gave my dc the ip 192.168.1.2. for active directory to work you have to be running your own dns. set the dns zone to forward dns requests to the dns server of your ip. you can get that from the status page on your router. it shouldnt change. oh and in the dns config, delete the forward zone that is just titled "." you dont need it. now configure the clients with similar ips, i just let my router hand out the ips starting at 192.168.1.100. if your router lets you, have it hand out the dns address of you server (192.168.1.2 in my example.) if it doesnt you will have to manually configure the dns servers on the clients, add the ip of your dns server first then the dns of your isp. since you had your zone forward the dns querys to your isp's dns, this shouldnt be neccissary but its just for good measure.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hi again jihiggs... yes, they are all in the domain. i thought i had it set up correctly before. everything worked perfectly for a day. the 4000 mp3s in one folder shouldnt be a problem, right? i shouldnt have to break them up into two i hope... i will double check my server/router info. thats what i was asking, about what ip to give the server and how i knew if the isp dns server was correct in the router config. anyway, i'll try that later tonight and let you know. thanks again!! i owe you beer.

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
jihiggs,
i checked all my settings and they are exactly the same as yours! the last question i have is, you say that on the clients, i specify my dc as the top dns server, then my isp's under that? well, my isp shows 2 in my router settings. 63.240.76.19 and 204.127.198.19. which do i use?
i hope you dont think i havent been paying attention when you help me, i have. i thought i had this stuff down, and i've been trying to learn it, but when one thing goes wrong and i cant resolve it no matter what, everything just stalls. anyway, which ip do you think i should use?

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....