Sign in with
Your question

7 External Fans & Temps are still out of control

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2002 12:07:47 AM

Hi all,
I did a little cutting & dremeling today to get some extra fans going. I did a count & have 7 external fans & my temps are still way out of control.

I have a XP1900, Asus AVA266-E & my normal Idle temps are about 50-55 C. Full load gets no higher than 60C. It is still way to hot considering the airplane sounds that I live with.

The internals are as follows:

Scsi Cheatah 10k rpm drive
Maxtor 80 gig
Maxtor 8 gig
Scsi CD-Rom
Scsi CDR
Nicklock
Scsi Card
Sound card
GF3
Nick Card

So there are plenty of cables & such floating around & plenty of other fans not depicted below.

I also have a Volcano 7.

Anyway, any circle in the pics is an external fan. S=sucking air into the case, B=Blowing air away from the case.

My case sits in the open ontop of my desk.

I am at a total loss & cant keep throwing more fans at the problem :) 

http://richardklein.com/temp/Case/case.jpg

Any ideas on what I can do to fix these terrible temps? I am not overclocking at all at this point.

Thanks,
Rich
January 24, 2002 12:19:03 AM

maybe get a bigger heatsink with a high speed fan.. say 6800 RPM.
or get a water cooled heatsink for your CPU and connect another pipe to your case and run your airconditioner through it... heheheh u'll get a cooler case and CPU in no time
January 24, 2002 12:19:16 AM

<A HREF="http://richardklein.com/temp/Case/case.jpg" target="_new">Clickable</A>

Hmmm. I wonder if you've simply created a situation where each fan fights against another. You need to have a channed airflow inside your system.

If you have a fan pushin air against another they cancel each other. Try to get all of them working as a team.

Strange why you have fans on both sides. Usually the components will only be exposed at one side. The other side is the bottom of the mobo (a blank plate).

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:
Related resources
January 24, 2002 12:19:20 AM

What case do you have?

Also, at this point you've probably ruined it. There has to be an in flow and an outflow, not just a bunch of fans interfering with each other. It would be much better to get a good case that can have 2 or 3 fans in the front with a couple in the back. That way you are consistant and can actually bring cool air in and blow the hot air out. Think "draft".

If you have a good case you will most likely only need a fan in the front and one in the back. That's my experience. With a bad case it doesn't matter how many fans you have.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
January 24, 2002 3:02:53 AM

Also,

What were your temps before you started this project? What is the current mobo/system temp?

Looking at your diagram...

labelling the views 1 to 4, left to right,

view 1 top fan blows air straight out from view 2 top fan. No cpu cooling. Recommend block off top fan totally. Otherwise have it blow air out. Top sucking fans draw a lot of dust into the case also.

View 2, middle fan is blowing air out of the case right where I expect the cpu fan is trying to suck, reverse it to suck air into the case to feed the cpu cooler colder air.

The rear 'blowing fans' are correctly arranged and will vent hot cpu air (lower) and 'system' air (top)

My 0.02c

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
January 24, 2002 3:04:19 AM

On the left side your blowing fan should be sucking air in and directing it at the cpu. Also, you might want to eliminate the fan on the right side of the case so that there is a better balance between the intake and exhause fans.

"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done"
January 24, 2002 3:06:18 AM

7 fans!?

That makes me think of a Simpsons episode where the family goes to eurodisney and puts maggie in the oversized ball bath.
The dialogue in the contol room goes:
Surveillance guy: "sir, the children seem unhappy"
Manager: "Add more balls!"

You have lots of stuff in your case. I guess you already have a big tower case; if not, that would probably help.

If you don't really need the 8gig Maxtor maybe you can throw it out?

Maybe you could lower the voltage to your XP by underclocking it a little bit, or maybe a more efficient HSF exist?

But as Matisaro (I think) says in his sig: "No overclock + Stock HSF = good". If your system is stable, why worry about the temperature?
January 24, 2002 4:20:31 AM

I have a few more pics:
http://richardklein.com/temp/Case/pic1.jpg
http://richardklein.com/temp/Case/pic2.jpg
http://richardklein.com/temp/Case/pic3.jpg
http://richardklein.com/temp/Case/pic4.jpg

I kind like the 8 gig maxtor. I have win98 setup on that & XP on the big drive.

The Scsi HD is just for storage for both drives.

I did swap the rear fan to blow into the case & the side fan by the CPU to blow fan into the case & this has resulted in a 3 degree temp drop (down to 52C).

This is still just to darn hot.

Now when I had the case completely open (no sides or top) the CPU temp at idle was 54C. That is with 0 airflow issues.

The only other thing I can think of is that the heatsink isnt seated quite properly.

Is it possible for the heatsink to be close but not quite totally on? I put the vol7 in with the whole system setup so I couldnt quite see anything at all :)  It locked down nice & snug & it is cooler than the vol6 (by a degree or two).

Any ideas?

The system is stable but it seems that the CPU temp is way to hot.
January 24, 2002 4:20:40 AM

whats wrong with 60c? thats not that hot.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
January 24, 2002 4:22:23 AM

Cut the sensor off the vulcano 7, it measure the case temperature not the CPU, so when your case cool enough the fan slow down and let your cpu heat up (dumb you ask, yes it is, no clue what they were thinking)!!! Just cut off the green blob out and connect the cables, then it will give great cooling.

About the case fans, I would change the airflow.
Front: Both suck air in (the drive cooler doesn't do much compared to the case fans)
Left: Suck in
Right: Suck in
Rear: Blow out
Top: Blow out

Give it a try and see

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;) 
January 24, 2002 4:40:57 AM

Holy crud your case is a mess, and i thought that my case was a mess. Power supply companies need to shorten their wires [winks]. But i'd say that's also a reason why your case temps are high, because the air can't really move freely. Also if your system is stable then I wouldn't worry.

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>
January 24, 2002 5:11:36 AM

At the very least, get rounded cables, reverse the flow of some of those fans per other posts, and rubberband the power cables when possible. The inside of that case is out of control.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
January 24, 2002 5:27:15 AM

Wow!!! If ever I saw a case that would benefit from split loom, it would be this one! Remember here that a case fan is a case fan and you could probably have 20 in there and if they're not working together...they're going to end up doing nothing. This case would have benefited more from having a singe 120mm fan up front and two 80mm exhaust fans than it would with this set up.

Check out some of the case mod sites (ie: Blue Smoke, Virtual Hideout, etc.) if you need good tips on cooling and you'll be able to see how these guys set up their cases time and time again. The most important fan in your system is the one on top of that Volcano 7... it should be doing a good job. You haven't tried to change out the stock fan on that have you? Some people will change their fans to get less noise and they end up getting less CFM. That fan should be running at 5000 rpms at all times with those temps, so make sure that it is.

Your fan on the right side of your case seems pointless. The one on the left would be OK <b>only</b> if it were sucking in <b>and</b> the top blowhole was blowing out. That would keep your airflow most stable.

With all those wires in there the split loom would have to help you out some because it would allow that air to circulate better.

BTW... I thought I read in one of your earlier post that you changed a fan on the back of the case. Make sure the case exhaust blows out. I assume the top rear case fan is power supply... don't mess with that. Some power supplies take air in to cool the PSU... some blow out. The individual manufactuer decides what is best and I wouldn't mess with the fan on a PSU unless it went dead and just needed a replacement.

<A HREF="http://www.stormpages.com/flywheel/mysys.html" target="_new">My Current Rig</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flywheel on 01/24/02 07:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 24, 2002 10:21:16 AM

you'll have to close the case cover in order to achieve proper airflow through the heatsink. If you leave it open then all those fans will go to waste. Your heaty SCSI HDD could be saturating the air in the case so heat from your processor can't escape. Try to put a bracket fan above it to exhaust excess heat.

Also it would help to turn the fans ON :) 

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink:
January 24, 2002 12:33:35 PM

I have 14 fans, read my sig.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
January 24, 2002 1:17:34 PM

Quote:
Is it possible for the heatsink to be close but not quite totally on?

Yes, that is why you use something like arctic silver to make sure that all the microscopic holes are still connected.

Also, I would have that top fan be blowing air out of the case. Heat rises, so it would naturaly flow towards that part anyway.

I sold my soul to Microsoft, and all I got was this lousy operating system.
January 24, 2002 4:26:03 PM

I agree.

Let the fans on the rear and top of your case blow out, and let the other ones at the front and sides blow air in, otherwise sucked in air immediatly get sucked out by another fan.
Also bundle your wires and use rounded cables (I maked them by folding them and then surround them with some tape) to clean up your case. That will help to drop temps.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
January 24, 2002 11:46:19 PM

Man talking about cables hell! LOL

You need a full size case, a real full size like my Alpha.
btw I think your case got almost enough cables going around to turn it into an electro magnet. LOL (joke)

Here is two of my toys, the big one is my dad's now because I got him hooked on games (just got the motherboard back for it), and got another which my mom abuse playing rollcage and need for speed (she got no license but drive like a mad woman in those games).

<A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca/alphafront.jpg" target="_new"> Alpha front </A>
<A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca/alphaside.jpg" target="_new"> A side </A>
<A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca/alphaback.jpg" target="_new"> A back </A>
<A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca/front.jpg" target="_new"> Mini front </A>
<A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca/front2.jpg" target="_new"> M front 2 </A>
<A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca/side.jpg" target="_new"> M side </A>
<A HREF="http://andrewt1.tripod.ca/back.jpg" target="_new"> M back </A>

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;) 
January 25, 2002 12:27:20 AM

1. get some decent flow happening.
one side sucks, the other blows.
best if aire comes in the front, out the back.

2. WHAT ARE U USING TO MEASURE YOUR TEMPS!?!?
the utility asus probe is notoriously inaccurate. please dont use that.
i SUGGEST you download motherboard monitor.

also, with all current motherboards the core temp is measured by a probe under the socket. thus the temp is variable, even between 2 boards of the same brand and model.

EXAMPLE.
athlon 1200C mobo 1 (asus a7v133) = 44C
same chip, case, cooler, amount of thermal grease, different mobo (iwill kk266-plusR) = 39C

It is not widely known but asus boards have a habit of OVERreading the core temperature.

RELAX

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2002 1:55:33 AM

It's simple. Your temps aren't that high at all, the A7A266 reads 10C hotter than it really is. This has been gone over many times in several forums. It does not affect operation unless you exceed the shut off temp (70C it think, which is really 60C). I'm kind of surprised noone else mentioned it.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 25, 2002 5:31:01 AM

Quote:
That makes me think of a Simpsons episode where the family goes to eurodisney and puts maggie in the oversized ball bath.
The dialogue in the contol room goes:
Surveillance guy: "sir, the children seem unhappy"
Manager: "Add more balls!

That was one of my favorite episodes heh.

Quote:
But as Matisaro (I think) says in his sig: "No overclock + Stock HSF = good". If your system is stable, why worry about the temperature?

Aye that is true, I changed my sig after the 100th post with this very subject.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 25, 2002 5:32:05 AM

Quote:
I did swap the rear fan to blow into the case & the side fan by the CPU to blow fan into the case & this has resulted in a 3 degree temp drop (down to 52C).

This is still just to darn hot.

If it is NOT locking up, and you DO NOT WANT TO OVERCLOCK IT FURTHER/AT ALL. Then it is NOT TOO HOT!!!!

Close the thermal monitor and USE YOUR COMPUTER BY GOD MAN!

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
January 25, 2002 6:40:00 AM

true... the Athlon dies only at 90c
and you should start worry about it when it crosses 70c
so its not too hot...

though i think your problem is that you didnt applay thermal paste when installing the HSF or you just dont have a good contect with your HSF
January 25, 2002 7:36:24 AM

if it running fine and no lock up dont worrie about it 60 c might sound high but the cpu can handle 95c
!