Shuttle motherboard/Duron CPU

G

I am upgrading a Compaq 5461, AMD K6-2 500 mgz PC. I have purchased a shuttle AK31 (KT266A) motherboard. My next purchase was to be a 1.3 Duron, but the motherboard does not specifically support it,(it just states "Duron 950+"). I want to assume that means it will accept the 1.3 Duron, but I want to be sure. The Motherboard also comes with a fan over the "chipset". Am I to assume I need a heatsink and fan for the Duron CPU also? The Duron needs a 300 watt power supply, so I think I need a new case also. Should I get a full tower? Does anyone have any recommendations for cases? Does it really matter? Also the motherboard takes "DDR SDRAM" so am I to assume my current RAM memory will have to be replaced? THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!!

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I am upgrading a Compaq 5461, AMD K6-2 500 mgz PC. I have purchased a shuttle AK31 (KT266A) motherboard. My next purchase was to be a 1.3 Duron, but the motherboard does not specifically support it,(it just states "Duron 950+"). I want to assume that means it will accept the 1.3 Duron, but I want to be sure.
I have the same motherboard and it accepted my Athlon XP 1900+, so I'm sure it will do fine with your Duron 1.3.

The Motherboard also comes with a fan over the "chipset". Am I to assume I need a heatsink and fan for the Duron CPU also?
Yes, you need a heatsink and fan for the CPU. Are you buying retail or OEM? The retail version will come with a heatsink and fan, but the OEM version will not. If you need to buy a HSF, try plycon.com, newegg.com, googlegear.com, or directron.com. Check some online sites such as this one or anandtech.com and look for the big "Heatsink Roundup" reviews to find the best ones.

The Duron needs a 300 watt power supply, so I think I need a new case also. Should I get a full tower? Does anyone have any recommendations for cases? Does it really matter?
Yes, your case matters. How much do you want to spend? I have a Lian-Li aluminum case, which is great, but it cost $190 without a power supply. Check out Antec or Inwin cases that come with power supplies at the sites I mentioned above. You should get a 300W PSU minimum, but 350W or 400W would be better.

Also the motherboard takes "DDR SDRAM" so am I to assume my current RAM memory will have to be replaced? THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!!
Yes, you will need to buy DDR RAM for your system to go with your new motherboard. Try crucial.com and get at least 256MB of PC2100 DDR RAM.

Hope that helps ... and write back if you have more questions.

<i>There are two theories on arguing with women. Neither one works.</i>

The duron 1.3 is overpriced. Your paying too much for a new cpu. I suggest a 1.4 athlon. It is much faster and actually cheaper. Thompson's Computer Warehouse should have them listed on pricewatch, and they charge only $6.95 for shipping. I found a codegen 350 watt power supply for only $24 plus shipping at 800pc.com. Electroseller also sells alot of different cases at reasonable prices. Fry's electronics has an antec case for $49 good through today.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
for what your gonna pay... i would avoid a duron, spend a few extra bucks, get a XP1500+, and be ALOT happier.

u dont need a full tower. midtower is perfectly ok. try to get a case with decent ventilation... helps keep everything nice and cool :)
Lian Li, enermax, antec, coolermaster, coolerguys, lite-on. all produce extreemly high quality and nice lookin cases.
but you will need a quality PSU. nothing excessive Watt wise (300W or 350W), but PLEASE avoid generic PSU's... they are, by and large, C*R*A*P... and can be responsible to maddening random crashes.

cheers

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yes, you need a heatsink and fan for the CPU. Are you buying retail or OEM? The retail version will come with a heatsink and fan, but the OEM version will not. If you need to buy a HSF, try plycon.com, newegg.com, googlegear.com, or directron.com. Check some online sites such as this one or anandtech.com and look for the big "Heatsink Roundup" reviews to find the best ones.

Just like to add, that the retail hsf is generally a cheaper and better solution if you do not plan to overclock.(plus you get a 3 year warrantee).

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

TRENDING THREADS