Sign in with
Your question

Downgrade from Win8 to Win7

Last response: in Windows 7
February 17, 2013 12:32:21 AM

Hello,

I am trying to install Win7 on this laptop - Asus R503U. 5 minutes of Win8 and it has to go.

I bought a Win7 DVD and I'm trying to install but laptop hangs while installing at the Windows is starting screen. I can't find anything wrong and don't know why the install keeps hanging.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Everard

More about : downgrade win8 win7

February 17, 2013 1:04:40 AM

Did you buy the right OS version? Did you purchase 64bit instead of 32bit. What system do you have and what OS specifically are you installing.
m
l
February 17, 2013 1:11:04 AM

If you have a flash drive, go and get a digital copy from microsoft. Then Make the flash drive bootable and copy the install files over. This should make the install much faster and remove some optical disk reading problems that can occur when installing.
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2013 1:26:36 AM

asktod said:
Did you buy the right OS version? Did you purchase 64bit instead of 32bit. What system do you have and what OS specifically are you installing.

I have Win8 64bit and bought Win7 64bit.

Thanks for helping.

Everard
m
l
February 17, 2013 1:29:05 AM

thor220 said:
If you have a flash drive, go and get a digital copy from microsoft. Then Make the flash drive bootable and copy the install files over. This should make the install much faster and remove some optical disk reading problems that can occur when installing.

I've never tried the download digital copy. I'll give that a go. Can I copy just from the DVD I have just bought?

Do you think it is a CD read problem?

Thanks,
Everard
m
l
February 17, 2013 1:38:30 AM

It is most likely an optical problem, download a digital copy of the selected Windows OS you bought to a USB Flash Drive. Then just use the license inside of the booklet you bought when prompted to do so.
m
l
February 17, 2013 1:58:50 AM

Is it a new laptop? Do other disks work?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 2:05:00 AM

Did you format the drive? You cannot "downgrade", you must wipe the drive and then fresh install Win 7.
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:18:25 AM

asktod said:
It is most likely an optical problem, download a digital copy of the selected Windows OS you bought to a USB Flash Drive. Then just use the license inside of the booklet you bought when prompted to do so.

I can't find where to digitally download on the microsoft website. Do you have a link for it?

Thanks,
Everard
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:20:32 AM

nnorton44 said:
Is it a new laptop? Do other disks work?

Yes, new laptop, and yes the DVD has been working correctly.

I have tried 2 Win7 DVDs. The one I bought and a system rebuild from another system I have.

Both gave the same result.

Thanks,
Everard
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:24:00 AM

jitpublisher said:
Did you format the drive? You cannot "downgrade", you must wipe the drive and then fresh install Win 7.

I have not gotten to the point of formatting the drive.

I have tried the install 2 ways:

1) Running in setup in Win8, selecting drive C, then the system resets and tries to install and freezes

2) Booting from DVD first, tries to install files, and then freezes

Both hang at the same point. Starting Windows

Thanks,
Everard
m
l
March 7, 2013 4:32:24 AM

I'm having the same issue with the same laptop. I've read about others getting Windows 7 installed, I'd love to hear how!
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2013 4:55:55 AM

qubit747 said:
I'm having the same issue with the same laptop. I've read about others getting Windows 7 installed, I'd love to hear how!

You cannot do an OS "downgrade". The only way to go back to a previous operating system is to wipe the drive clean, and start over. Its just that simple, there is no other way around it.
m
l
!