P4 (423) 1.5 = 1483 MHz?

G

just a quick question because i've read here that P4s slow down to keep the heat down and my processor is at 55 degrees and my case is at 40+ degrees (it doesn't help that i have 2 7200 RPM HDDs slotted one on top of the other with a FDD and burner on top and i don't have any extra fans)

thanks!
chris

FatBurger

Illustrious
Where does the 1.5 = 1483 come in, exactly? You're confusing me, which isn't hard to do considering I've just started my afternoon coffee.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

in my bios and checking with wcpuid, my processor speed comes in at 1483 mhz. just wondering if that was normal for a p4 1.5 Ghz.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Your motherboard is clocked slightly below spec. There are basically no motherboards that are exactly at 100 (or 133), most are above, however.

What motherboard is it?

You could always raise the FSB slightly to make up the difference.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

it is a QDI Platinix 4X.

i see now that it is 98.XX in wcpuid. i assume that is why!

thanks alot..

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
just a comment, its not a great idea having your hot hard drives stacked closely together...and in a hot case.
aint good for their integrity or lifespan.

a major reason why i advocate decent casecooling for all, regardess of cpu

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
buy a couple drive coolers, they are $10 each for the 3 fan 5.25 mount variety if you have extra bays or you can get the bottom mounted ones.....will make a big diff in case heat levels =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
buy a couple drive coolers, they are $10 each for the 3 fan 5.25 mount variety if you have extra bays or you can get the bottom mounted ones.....will make a big diff in case heat levels =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

G

kief,

how do the drive coolers mount? i cannot use the 5.25 ones because my drives aren't mounted there. because of my stupid case design, the second hard drive won't fit any other way than to stack the two... i have one free 3.5 bay below the hard drives (but won't fit a hard drive!)...

i'm adding one intake and one outtake fan soon to my case. will that be enough?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hard drive coolers only mount in 5.25" bays.

Yes, adding two fans will be enough.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is some models for 3.5" bay that attach cooler benneath HD.
<b><A HREF="http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/hdcooler.shtml" target="_new"><font color=blue>Hard disk Coolers</A></b></font color=blue>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

FatBurger

Illustrious
You're right. I was only thinking of the other type. These wouldn't cool the case as well though, since it's not bringing in air from the outside.