Should we wait?

Sharkman_pt

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I'm thinking of buying a new P4 soon.
I hear of the new P4 133 coming out soon.
Should I wait, or do you think there won't be much difference?
BTW, anyone has news about AMD invluding thermal protecton it it's CPUs?

Sharkman

I'd Love the IMac, if it had a fluorescent lamp!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I haven't heard any solid dates of the 133(533) P4 platform launching. Don't hold your breath.

Yes, there should be a difference. Waiting depends on what you have now. If you can make it, say, 3 months with what you have now, then do it. If not, go ahead and upgrade.

AMD's thermal protection? Well, the A7V266-E has a sort of built-in thermal protection. Other than that, nothing.
No new news about the CPUs offering their own protection.

BTW, the new iMac IS a lamp :wink:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 01/24/02 04:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i know what we should do...

make a list of all athlon Mobo's that have some form of temp protection via max cpu temps in the bios.
a system that would protect it in case of cpu fan failure.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)

Sharkman_pt

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Well my old (un)reliable P120 can wait a while longer, but do you think the Prices will go up for the new P4's?
I'm looking at an P4T-E from Asus... Do you think it can work with the new CPUs?
My (cunning) plan is to upgrade the CPU later when the top level one are cheap. Start at 1500, later upgrade to 3000 w/o changing the mobo. Am I dreaming?

Sharkman

I'd Love the IMac, if it had a fluorescent lamp!

FatBurger

Illustrious
P120? :frown:

The P4T-E might be nice. You could even solder on different clock generators and go to 133(533) by yourself. Providing you used a Northwood, of course.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
P4T-E is a great choice. just find a 1.6 or 1.8 Northwood cpu to go on it and your set for many months. very stable motherboard and overclocks decent.

So, you can get the 1.6 now and overclock it to 2.6Ghz now. reports of 1.6Ghz hitting 3Ghz with water cooling. one running at over 2.8Ghz on madonion.

Make sure you get a northwood CPU. they have 512k cache. anything else is a older wilmette core.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. its a bad dream, induced by too much pizza, 1 bottle of jimmy and far too many bongs!

hehe

if u wanna go for the pentium4... best thing would be to get a 478 motherboard and a standard 478 based cpu.
but at some stage they wont release any more 400fsb p4's.. the p4 will eventually go to 533fsb and the 400fsb will be the celleron.

funny to know that a current p4 is a future celleron lol

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :)