{O-T} How do you go about squashing these cross-posting ha..

Someone please tell me, bad enough when Grossi did it. Now I get one who do
it from other groups x-posting into this one

Feels like I'm stuck in some Machiavelian maze....

Look! An 'exit' sign go through it and find myself back at the beginning of
the maze.....

--==--
Jerry Chesko
7 answers Last reply
More about squashing cross posting

    Jerry Chesko wrote:
    > Someone please tell me, bad enough when Grossi did it. Now I get one who do
    > it from other groups x-posting into this one
    >
    > Feels like I'm stuck in some Machiavelian maze....
    >
    > Look! An 'exit' sign go through it and find myself back at the beginning of
    > the maze.....

    How do you go about it? Use filters or ignore 'em if you're not
    interested in it. There are also flame "warriors" here who are only
    interested in insulting newbs or those who aren't part of their little
    internet clique (there are many useful regs here though). It's a fact
    of life on unmoderated Usenet NGs which can both be a blessing and a
    curse. There's not really much else you can do except maybe complain
    to their Admin (most don't care unless it's bona fide spamming), but
    FWIW, with throwaway accounts, it's better to ignore them or flame them
    when you get the urge.

    "Jerry Chesko" <res7g0hd@verizon.net> writes:

    > Someone please tell me, bad enough when Grossi did it. Now I get one who do
    > it from other groups x-posting into this one
    >
    > Feels like I'm stuck in some Machiavelian maze....
    >
    > Look! An 'exit' sign go through it and find myself back at the beginning of
    > the maze.....

    Get a decent newsreader, i.e. anything but Outlook Express.

    HTH, HAND,

    Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

    Jerry Chesko wrote:
    > "Chris Hayes" <hayes12@fadmail.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Jerry Chesko wrote:
    > >> Someone please tell me, bad enough when Grossi did it. Now I get one who
    > >> do
    > >> it from other groups x-posting into this one
    > >>
    > >> Feels like I'm stuck in some Machiavelian maze....
    > >>
    > >> Look! An 'exit' sign go through it and find myself back at the beginning
    > >> of
    > >> the maze.....
    > >>

    > > How do you go about it? Use filters or ignore 'em if you're not
    > > interested in it. There are also flame "warriors" here who are only
    > > interested in insulting newbs or those who aren't part of their little
    > > internet clique (there are many useful regs here though). It's a fact
    > > of life on unmoderated Usenet NGs which can both be a blessing and a
    > > curse. There's not really much else you can do except maybe complain
    > > to their Admin (most don't care unless it's bona fide spamming), but
    > > FWIW, with throwaway accounts, it's better to ignore them or flame them
    > > when you get the urge.
    > >
    > Great, now I get to spend hours 'aliasing' (MUD-speak for making up things
    > to make your character be more unique),

    I used to do MUDs a few years ago. Got tired of them because they're
    sorta timesinks. It may be a pain, but that's Usenet.

    >only in this case it'll be scripting
    > filters to keep those EEEeeeviiillll (muaaaah-ha-ha!) Flame Warriors out of
    > my little castle.
    >
    > Oh yes, MS-OE does just fine. I've tried navigating through Google and got
    > stuck in that web-world latency. Poor pitiful me can only afford dial-up.

    Where are you at? Many places got DSL and Cable for rather affordable
    prices.

    "Chris Hayes" <hayes12@fadmail.com> wrote in message

    > Jerry Chesko wrote:
    >> Someone please tell me, bad enough when Grossi did it. Now I get one who
    >> do
    >> it from other groups x-posting into this one
    >>
    >> Feels like I'm stuck in some Machiavelian maze....
    >>
    >> Look! An 'exit' sign go through it and find myself back at the beginning
    >> of
    >> the maze.....
    >>

    > How do you go about it? Use filters or ignore 'em if you're not
    > interested in it. There are also flame "warriors" here who are only
    > interested in insulting newbs or those who aren't part of their little
    > internet clique (there are many useful regs here though). It's a fact
    > of life on unmoderated Usenet NGs which can both be a blessing and a
    > curse. There's not really much else you can do except maybe complain
    > to their Admin (most don't care unless it's bona fide spamming), but
    > FWIW, with throwaway accounts, it's better to ignore them or flame them
    > when you get the urge.

    Great, now I get to spend hours 'aliasing' (MUD-speak for making up things
    to make your character be more unique), only in this case it'll be scripting

    Jerry Chesko wrote:
    > "Chris Hayes" <hayes12@fadmail.com> wrote in message
    >>Jerry Chesko wrote:
    >>>Someone please tell me, bad enough when Grossi did it. Now I get one who
    >>>do it from other groups x-posting into this one

    > Great, now I get to spend hours 'aliasing' (MUD-speak for making up things
    > to make your character be more unique), only in this case it'll be scripting
    > filters to keep those EEEeeeviiillll (muaaaah-ha-ha!) Flame Warriors out of
    > my little castle.
    >
    > Oh yes, MS-OE does just fine. I've tried navigating through Google and got
    > stuck in that web-world latency. Poor pitiful me can only afford dial-up.

    Netscape Navigator or Mozilla is your friend.... pick any
    individual message out of a thread, highlight it with the mouse,
    and press the "k" key to killfile the entire thread. Close and
    re-open the newsgroup, and whatever message thread was highlighted
    vanishes, never to return (unless you have to reinstall your
    newsreader on account Micro$oft Windows hard crashes).

    Works like a champ, and can be used on multiple threads at the
    same time. Haven't used OE for years now.

    Re,
    Dirk

    Hey I am looking for a good MUD and am having a difficult time, I want
    it large non level based equipment(or for a concept ow about only
    cetaain powerful and unique items being evel based) I want it large
    with lots of skills and spells, and no xp loss for retreating.

    "Jerry Chesko" <res7g0hd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Someone please tell me, bad enough when Grossi did it. Now I get one who
    do
    > it from other groups x-posting into this one
    >
    > Feels like I'm stuck in some Machiavelian maze....
    >
    > Look! An 'exit' sign go through it and find myself back at the beginning
    of
    > the maze.....

    You're using OE express right? In which case, like me, you have limited
    options. I recommend killing the thread and kill filing each of the
    original posters.

    1. Tools -> Message Rules -> News
    2. New -> Tick box "where subject line contains specific words" -> Tick
    box "Delete it"
    3. Click the hyperlink at the bottom that says "contains specific words"
    4. Type the exact thread title and click Add.
    5. Name your rule if you desire.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Select a post by the original poster.
    8. Message -> Block Sender
    9. Click yes to remove all posts stored.

Games Video Games