Gris anti-virus

ahall

Is free AVG generally as good as
the commercial AV programs such
as Norton?

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Personal opinion here but I am not a big fan of Norton. The last 2 or 3
systems that I have worked on had a number of Trojan viruses that Norton
failed to detect yet Avast picked up without a problem. McAfee 8 isn't too
bad either and AVG has a large following. But I personally like Avast. It
seems to be non intrusive and I like the boot scan feature. I like scanning
for a virus, if one is suspected, before starting your OS. Also their BART
program coming out is a decent idea albeit not a cheap one.

Regards,
John O.

<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> Is free AVG generally as good as
> the commercial AV programs such
> as Norton?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

I use it and alot of other people use it and it is free

<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> Is free AVG generally as good as
> the commercial AV programs such
> as Norton?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

In article <COwad.691077$M95.114986@pd7tw1no>, dsgambelluri@shaw.ca
says...
> I use it and alot of other people use it and it is free
>

> <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Is free AVG generally as good as
> > the commercial AV programs such
> > as Norton?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> > --
> > Andrew Hall
> > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Well, I've used AVG for a couple of years and it has *never* detected a
virus on my machine. I guess I have exceptionally clean computer habits
but the one time I *know* I had been hit by a virus (the wife accidently
executed an unknown attachment and it began filling various folders with
hundreds of pornographically named exe's) it still detected nothing.
Antivir caught the virus and cleaned it right out (though I had to get a
specialized remover from Symantec to get rid of it totally). So now I
used Antivir and AVG on alternate days to sweep my computer and AVG
still has never found a virus, while Antivir, which is known for false
positives, occasionally finds a data file or html page it decides is a
virus and tells me about it...

YMMV, I guess.

-- Bob

<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in news:kpgsm8l8j9w.fsf@panix3.panix.com:

> Is free AVG generally as good as
> the commercial AV programs such
> as Norton?
>
> Thanks in advance,

I tried it and really liked it. A couple reasons why I prefer Avast is
that the AVG free license restricts it to only one computer in your home,
and Avast can be set to do definitions updates at each boot rather than at
preset times (exp. with my laptop, it is probably not available at a preset
time). I think AVG email scanning (not that I'm a fan of email scanning)
is only available for MS email clients - my memory may be wrong on that).
Actually, I am using the free EZ Armor (for Road Runner users, it is free
beyond the one year free period for other users) right now on my machines.

--
Tom McCune

Hi,
I too must have "exceptionally clean computer habits" however, this did not
prevent my son from acquiring a Trojan which AVG did successfully detect,
however AVG could *NOT* completely fix/remove this Trojan!
I had to do a google search on the specific (can`t remember the name) trojan
and then find a "free trial" trojan removal software tool to actually get
rid of the damn thing.
All in all I rate AVG as a plus for someone who just wants (free) minimum
protection.

Matt

"Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> wrote in message
> In article <COwad.691077$M95.114986@pd7tw1no>, dsgambelluri@shaw.ca
> says...
>> I use it and alot of other people use it and it is free
>>

>> <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Is free AVG generally as good as
>> > the commercial AV programs such
>> > as Norton?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >

>> > --
>> > Andrew Hall
>> > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
>>

> Well, I've used AVG for a couple of years and it has *never* detected a
> virus on my machine. I guess I have exceptionally clean computer habits
> but the one time I *know* I had been hit by a virus (the wife accidently
> executed an unknown attachment and it began filling various folders with
> hundreds of pornographically named exe's) it still detected nothing.
> Antivir caught the virus and cleaned it right out (though I had to get a
> specialized remover from Symantec to get rid of it totally). So now I
> used Antivir and AVG on alternate days to sweep my computer and AVG
> still has never found a virus, while Antivir, which is known for false
> positives, occasionally finds a data file or html page it decides is a
> virus and tells me about it...
>
> YMMV, I guess.
>
> -- Bob

Delboy

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Tom McCune" <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in news:kpgsm8l8j9w.fsf@panix3.panix.com:
>

>> Is free AVG generally as good as
>> the commercial AV programs such
>> as Norton?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>
> I tried it and really liked it. A couple reasons why I prefer Avast is
> that the AVG free license restricts it to only one computer in your home,
> and Avast can be set to do definitions updates at each boot rather than at
> preset times (exp. with my laptop, it is probably not available at a
> preset
> time). I think AVG email scanning (not that I'm a fan of email scanning)
> is only available for MS email clients - my memory may be wrong on that).
> Actually, I am using the free EZ Armor (for Road Runner users, it is free
> beyond the one year free period for other users) right now on my machines.
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm

I like avast, free for personal use. auto updates itself.
but i like avg free too
dave

---

In article <ZUzad.5672$5b1.4443@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
someone@nowhere.com says...
> Hi,
> I too must have "exceptionally clean computer habits" however, this did not
> prevent my son from acquiring a Trojan which AVG did successfully detect,
> however AVG could *NOT* completely fix/remove this Trojan!
> I had to do a google search on the specific (can`t remember the name) trojan
> and then find a "free trial" trojan removal software tool to actually get
> rid of the damn thing.
> All in all I rate AVG as a plus for someone who just wants (free) minimum
> protection.
>
> Matt

Yeah, that's the main reason I keep using AVG despite its apparent non-
performance. "Just in case."

-- Bob