Dual CPU?

G

Hi,

Just a wee question that I've been pondering... Is it possible to add a SLOT-1 CPU to a motherboard (Intel 82810) that already has a Socket 370 CPU (Celeron 466) installed and thus have a dual CPU setup?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Graeme.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
...hmmm.

I'll assume this Socket370 CPU is on a slocket, and you have a second slot in the motherboard.

Yet model "82810" seems to signify that it's an Intel i810 motherboard--in which case I don't see how you could have two CPU slots. You might have a slot <i>and</i> a socket, with the slot there only for backwards compatibility, in which case the slot and the socket are probably mutually exclusive. Thus no go on dual CPUs.

Assuming it's a dual Slot1, because I've never heard of the sort of i810 motherboard described above...

It <i>should</i> be possible, as long as the CPU steppings aren't too far apart. If the specced Vcores the two CPUs are different, it might be a problem; it depends on the motherboard and any slocket you're using. For example, with the 440LX chipset of yore, you could combine an old 300MHz Deschutes PII with a newer, lower-voltage 300MHz Klamath PII, <i>if</i> the motherboard had built-in VRMs capable of managing separate voltage levels per slot. You might have to consult your motherboard manual for that info.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 01/24/02 08:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, your better off buying a dual CPU motherboard. nothing you can do like that with your motherboard.

You cannot add a CPU into one of your PCI slots.

G

Many thanks guys for your informative responses.
Give a chap something to think about over the weekend... while supping a brew.

MrMad.