thefunkeymonkey

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001
Sorry i know this has nothing to do with cpus, but if i posted it in a board such as win 2k then i would not find out till it was too late.

Tonight i am taking my hard drive, cd-rw and dvd-rom out of my current pc.

Tomorrow i am receiving a new case+psu, motherboard (made by lmr), althlon xp 1500, coolermaster heatsink up to althlon xp 2000 and a geforce 2 64mb mx-400 AGP card.

The hard drive in my current pc is 27 gig, it has win 2k and win 98se on dual boot, the primary operating system is windows 98 se. This pc was bought before i know anything about computers, its made by a UK firm called Time Computers.

They gave me a reload cd, which formats the hdd back to its factory settings, which includes win 98 and all drivers. It does this by wipeing all data on the hdd except for a nortan ghost image. The nortan ghost image is 2 gig, bringing my hdd down to 25 gig.

Using a win 98 se boot disk, and typeing fdisk at the A:/ command prompt in ms dos, i discovered that there is only one partition, being the primary dos partition at 25 gig.

I need to completely wipe all data from my hdd, including the nortan ghost image. So when i power up my new pc tomorrow for the first time i can do a fresh install of windows xp on a 27 gig hdd.

One last thing, the psu that comes with my case tomorrow is 250watt, they did not have any 300 watt. Will i need a 300watt to run my new system? What if i leave out a cd drive?

Cheers

Mark

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Stressing your CPU might cause it to frezze, like games. You'll soon find out, if it does you'll know what it is.

And if your temp. runs hot you'll want a front fan.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 01/25/02 05:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I never try. But I believe AMD recommend a 300W PS. A 250W PS may cause instability to the system. Good Luck!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, 27GB IS 25GB! Hard drives are rated by manufacurers using 1GB=1000MB=1000KB=1000 bytes. But software uses the real number which is 1GB=1024MB=1024KB=1024 bytes. So take your 27GB drive and do the math:
27000000000/1024/1024/1024=25.14GB. It's simply the difference in systems between 1024 and 1000.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

thefunkeymonkey

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001
Thanks everybody:)

My mate managed to get them to change the psu to 300watt for no extra price!

Thanks crashman, all this time i thought i had a 27 gig..

When i put my current hdd in my new pc later on today. To completely format this hdd, I put the win 98 se boot disk and and at the A: do i type '\format c:/s'?

Cheers

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want to simply clean off the data, type in "format c:" No need for the "-s" command to copy system files because you'll get the system files you need when you run settup.
If you want it REALLLY SQUEEKY clean, type FDISK and follow the prompts to delete your old partition and make a new one first, then reboot and format.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You do have a 27 gig, according to drive manufacturers standards. A 27 gig drive only holds 25 gigs of information, do to the different numbering system used.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
if you need to save some time also you can use the format C: /Q command and do a quick format that only takes seconds

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>