Win xp laptop display dual screen fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

edion2

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Help !!

I had to format my hard drive and re-install XP-Home to start fresh.

Computer:
Dell Inspiron 1705
17" WUXGA screen with ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
T2400 1.83Ghz CPU - Win XP-Home
2GB PC6400 RAM

I did not have the DELL issued disks . . . they were lost.
Service tag and Windows Product Key sticker is still on the computer.

I backed up all the data and gathered all the critical software disks.

Formatted the HD and installed XP using the disk that came with my DESKTOP.
Everything went fine and I am able to access the internet.

PROBLEM is, my screen is a WUXGA (1980X1200) screen. I went to change the resolution but "settings" in Control Panel/Disply does not allow me to increase to max resolution (max available is 1600x1200). The standard "dual screen" is not there. I can not select an external monitor. There are no screens to click on or the ability to identify the screen.

The display property does not show any driver, just a generic VGA.

I downloaded and TRIED to install a driver for ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 from ATI site but it says that my computer does not support it and I have to exit.

I downloaded Catalyst from C-Net. It installed but I can not find it in "Control Panel/System/Device Manager" I tried running the driver update for ATI X1400 but it does not work.

This is my work computer and I need to have "dual screen" capability.

As it is no surprise, Dell is no help at all any computer with expired warranty. I can't even get their "download manager" to work.

If I had the money I would go buy another laptop, but times are hard and I don't have the funds to do so. I do CAD work on my computer. I am not making any money while my computer is down.

PLEASE HELP !!

Thanks
Ed Layola

Hi Ed,
would this driver work:
link

Dell download manager only works with Internet Explorer or Firefox, none of the other browsers work

if you still can't figure out the download manager from dell, let us know, so someone could try to locate the correct driver version?

thanks

edion2

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
AntiZig,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !! :p :love: :pt1cable: :love:

Your link to the "ftp.us.dell" did the trick !! My displays are back to the way they were before I had to format my HD.

I'm a bit surprised that the link was to DELL . . . and that it was just a double click . . . and it did its thing . . . restart the computer . . . and everything was back to normal !!

WHY can't DELL make things this easy ?? I guess they have to make things confusing so we will be willing to pay for support.

AntiZig, YOU-DA-MAAAAAN !!!! :p ;) :love:

Thank you so much !!

Ed Layola

Status
Not open for further replies.