Need help.....

ZeuSueZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
Hi all.

I got a major issue. I've recently got my self a new second PC, and I got a wierd problem. I can turn the comp on, use it for 30 min up to around 3 hours, playing CS, D2 or other, use the web, office app. ect., but all of a sudden, the Motherboard seems to loose power and the comp goes dead. I've tried EVERYTHING (think so) checked tempratures, jumper settings, cables ect. EVERYTHING seems to be ok, but the problem countinues. On monday morning (28/1) I'm gong to drop it off at my dealer, so he can get it fixed, but until then I am open to ideas =)

The system is a follows:

Asus A7V133 ATX
Asus AGP-V7100 Pro GeForce2 MX400 64MB Pure bulk 64MB
Seagate Barracuda IV 60GB
Aopen HQ48Pro A-P4 ATX 300 Watt PSU
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1400 MHz FSB266
Kingston Kingston 256MB PC-133
MS Windows 98 2nd edition
DirectX 8.1
Reference drivers, from VIA, ASUS, ect.

Ps. Same issue is at Motherboard & chipset

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Sounds to me like either (a) there's a system monitor sitting in the background, sensing the system getting above some temperature level, and taking it down automatically, or (b) you have an insufficient power supply, and it's giving up whenever it can't take the load anymore.

The "system monitor" might just be the BIOS. Whatever the system monitor might be, you should be able to change its alarm threshold somewhere.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

uraniborg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
Hi,

I have a system similar to yours:
A7V133 + Thunderbird 1200 266 + V7100PRO 32MB + 300 watt PS

i have read that the minimum recomended PS is 350 W for an Athlon system, so maybe your components are drawing too much power from your 300. also, maybe the PS itself is overheating, check to make sure the fan is running properly.

my system has never given me problems in this respect, but i dont use all the power hungry components that you list.

hope you figure it out,

<b>uraniborg
<font color=purple>"Brilliant thinkers have often met violent opposition from mediocre minds."

TRENDING THREADS