AGP or PCI ?

I remember all the hype about AGP and just had to get it, now I see
Dell is back to PCI, why?
11 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    watertown <watertown@verizon.net> wrote:

    >I remember all the hype about AGP and just had to get it, now I see
    > Dell is back to PCI, why?

    It's not your father's PCI, it is enhanced PCI - the latest,
    greatest tool for people to keep people buying new computers to
    replace their old computers. The game designers have been at it
    again, and all us non-gamers get to pay the price for the new
    envelopes they have been pushing.
    --
    OJ III

    well if you kept up you would know the it's not just pci but Pci express.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040310/index.html

    "watertown" <watertown@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I remember all the hype about AGP and just had to get it, now I see
    > Dell is back to PCI, why?

    Basically what PCI Xpress is that it is serial as opposed to Parallel so you
    start off with two wires which = a X1 4 wires = X2 8 wires =X4 etcetc then
    times that by the speed of the graphics card so in theory you could have a
    X8, or X16 ininitem multiplied by 256 mghz

    hope that makes sense or is it as clear as mud?
    "watertown" <watertown@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I remember all the hype about AGP and just had to get it, now I see
    > Dell is back to PCI, why?

    PCI or PCI Express it's the same to me, unless Dell and other explain the
    differences and benefits prior to my spending another fortune.

    Dell and others should offer alternatives.

    BigJIm wrote:

    > well if you kept up you would know the it's not just pci but Pci express.

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:57:38 GMT, watertown wrote in

    > PCI or PCI Express it's the same to me, unless Dell and other explain the
    > differences and benefits prior to my spending another fortune.

    But it's not the same. Also, if you call Dell up on the phone and request
    information about it saying a sale depends on it I'm sure they can jump
    online and search for you. ;-)

    > Dell and others should offer alternatives.

    I have an old machine in the garage with some EISA slots. Is that what you
    mean? ;-)

    I believe Dell is smart to offer the current technology in their machines.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >The "plan" appears for PCI express to accomodate things for
    >"the next 10 years".

    Yeah, the best of both worlds. It's PCI-X for years and years, but
    they keep cranking it up from 1X to 16X, so you'll _still_ get to buy
    new motherboards and video cards every year or so. Hurray! 8*|

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:20:40 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote in

    >>The "plan" appears for PCI express to accomodate things for
    >>"the next 10 years".
    >
    > Yeah, the best of both worlds. It's PCI-X for years and years, but
    > they keep cranking it up from 1X to 16X, so you'll _still_ get to buy
    > new motherboards and video cards every year or so. Hurray! 8*|

    Once per year sounds about right. With the speed these days that computers
    are moving forward technology-wise that is. :-)

    watertown wrote:
    > PCI or PCI Express it's the same to me, unless Dell and other explain the
    > differences and benefits prior to my spending another fortune.
    >
    > Dell and others should offer alternatives.

    Alternatives to what? PCI, AGP, & PCI Express are all industry standards
    (not set be Dell alone). It would make no sense economically to offer
    non-standard, i.e., proprietary, stuff & most people wouldn't want to
    buy it.

    Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:

    >watertown wrote:

    >> PCI or PCI Express it's the same to me, unless Dell and other explain the
    >> differences and benefits prior to my spending another fortune.
    >>
    >> Dell and others should offer alternatives.

    >Alternatives to what? PCI, AGP, & PCI Express are all industry standards
    >(not set be Dell alone). It would make no sense economically to offer
    >non-standard, i.e., proprietary, stuff & most people wouldn't want to
    >buy it.

    watertown is apparently bemoaning the passing of the days of yore
    when all computers came with ISA card slots and IDE interfaces
    for the hard drive. Introduction of the EISA standard was the
    first step on the road to perdition, leading in turn to PCI, AGP,
    and now PCI Express. Woe is us. Alas and alack. We are paying
    for the sins of our fathers [well, metaphorically at any rate,
    given that it has only been 23 years since the introduction of
    the IBM-PC that started this whole thing], and are doomed.

    [Not denigrating a) Apple or b) Atari, Sinclair, Radio Shack, et
    al, that preceded the IBM-PC, but after all this is
    alt.sys.*pc-clone*.dell]
    --
    OJ III

    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>watertown wrote:
    >
    >>> PCI or PCI Express it's the same to me, unless Dell and other explain
    >>> the
    >>> differences and benefits prior to my spending another fortune.
    >>>
    >>> Dell and others should offer alternatives.
    >
    >>Alternatives to what? PCI, AGP, & PCI Express are all industry standards
    >>(not set be Dell alone). It would make no sense economically to offer
    >>non-standard, i.e., proprietary, stuff & most people wouldn't want to
    >>buy it.
    >
    > watertown is apparently bemoaning the passing of the days of yore
    > when all computers came with ISA card slots and IDE interfaces
    > for the hard drive. Introduction of the EISA standard was the
    > first step on the road to perdition, leading in turn to PCI, AGP,
    > and now PCI Express. Woe is us. Alas and alack. We are paying
    > for the sins of our fathers [well, metaphorically at any rate,
    > given that it has only been 23 years since the introduction of
    > the IBM-PC that started this whole thing], and are doomed.
    >
    > [Not denigrating a) Apple or b) Atari, Sinclair, Radio Shack, et
    > al, that preceded the IBM-PC, but after all this is
    > alt.sys.*pc-clone*.dell]
    > --
    > OJ III

    Yeah, well, most change is good anyway, and helps force us to adapt and use
    additional brain cells. At this early point I still do indeed hate the
    LGA775/Socket T design, but that may well pass.

    I also find SATA connectors to be flimsy, easily loosed and difficult to
    connect in poor lighting.:)

    Stew

Dell PCI Computers