Sign in with
Your question

How is write protection removed from cd/dvd discs?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 17, 2013 5:46:23 AM

I came across a cd-rw that is about 2 years old and has a few pictures a transferred to a different computer. I tried to erase the cd-rw and got an error that it was write protected. I then noticed it was listed as a cd-rom in Windows Explorer. I used three other burner/iso programs with the same result and the option to delete the files grayed out. Several searches resulted in no worthwhile responses. Any ideas?
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 12:12:39 PM

the disk was probably finalized in which case you can't.

if you want to reuse it, stop being so tight.

if you're worried about the pictures falling into the wrong hand (you sly dog, you), kick it around the street for 30 seconds.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 12:13:39 PM

Use a fresh, blank CD-RW disc.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 12:27:41 PM

Yea 20-> 30 cents, Just not worth it equals about 6 Min time @ min wages.
And if you are worrried about pitching it just make some gouges in the surface, or keep and use as a coaster for coffee mug.
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:41:47 PM

Destroying it doesn't remove the write protect. Doesn't really address the question. I want to know how it's being done. Useful for several reasons. Finalizing the disc does not write protect a cd-rw. Why do people feel compelled to reply if they have no idea how to fix the issue.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 5:49:13 PM

par4otter said:
Fully capable of destroying a disc. I want to know how it's being done. Useful for several reasons. Why do people feel compelled to reply if they have no idea how to fix the issue.

Hi :) 

You HAVE already been given the answer.... it was FINALISED ...which changes it from a cdrw to a cdr

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:52:08 PM

Brett928S2 said:

You HAVE already been given the answer.... it was FINALISED ...which changes it from a cdrw to a cdr

I have finalized hundreds of rewrites and have had no problem erasing the disk afterwards. It write protects a cd-r, not a cd-rw.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2013 5:56:50 PM

Sigh... cdrw`s CAN be finalised...but maybe your old disc is just faulty... it happens a lot on old or low quality (unbranded) discs...

m
l
!