Reinstall Win 7 on another HDD

cowombat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I have Win 7 Home Premium 64 on my c:\ drive. Many hangs and crashes with errors in the event log. Decided to reinstall the same OS, but on another HDD (just in case the problems relate to HDD errors on my c:\). As I write, I'm now formatting a near new 1.5TB D:\ drive for this purpose. I have the Win 7 Upgrade disk (genuine).

Will it be possible for me to put the Win 7 upgrade disk in my PC (still running the original Win 7 in the C:\ drive), and direct it to reinstall on the D:\ drive?

Will I then need to physically change the connections to the 2 drives to change the newly installed OS on the D:\ drive, and make it the C:\? Or anything else to be sure the PC will boot and use the newly installed version of Win 7? All help appreciated :)

ulysses35

Distinguished
Once formatted the new HDD will be ready to install windows. Boot with the Windows 7 DVD and format the old drive.

Next choose and partition the new drive and install windows 7 as normal. If you dont want to format the old drive just yet then disconnect the SATA cable for the drive.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

When you go through the install on the D:\ are you planning on leaving the C:\ drive still connected? If so, Windows 7 install should automatically add the second Win 7 installation to the boot menu so you will be prompted as to which drive you want to boot into.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team