Sign in with
Your question

Athlon mp and xp

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2002 9:42:38 PM

Other than no L1 cache on the MP chip, what are the differences in the two? I've got a Soltek SL-75DRV2(Purple Ray)motherboard and would like to put a 1900 cpu on it but is there a compatibility issue here? I'm finding that the 1800 is only 1.5 gig? None of the articles I've read have been really informative about my questions. Also, could one put PC2400 or PC2700 DDR ram on board or is it also a compatibility issue/waste of money? Thx..........

Hmmm, Looks like the gene pool could use a little chlorine!

More about : athlon

January 27, 2002 9:50:16 PM

Quote:

Other than no L1 cache on the MP chip, what are the differences in the two?

Who said the Athlon MP doesn't have L1 cache? It has L1 cache!! The Athlon XP and MP are completely identical except for the fact that one is certified for multiprocessing (MP) while the other is not (XP). That's the only difference!

Quote:

I'm finding that the 1800 is only 1.5 gig?

Yes, that's true, nothing wrong there.

Quote:

Also, could one put PC2400 or PC2700 DDR ram on board or is it also a compatibility issue/waste of money?

It's only useful for overclocking.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
January 28, 2002 9:30:17 AM

The 1800 rathing of the CPU is not the real MHz (which is 1,5) but a PR number that compares the XP with the Tbird, it means that a 1.5 GHz XP performs as a 1,8 GHz Tbird.
PC 2700 and 2400 are backwards compatible with PC2100, you will only need PC2100 RAM if you plan to OC the FSB.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2002 12:59:24 PM

no L1 cache? who told you about this? I think XP and MP are the same. I heard that some XP could be used as MP, but only those in early production. The new XP are locked.
January 28, 2002 1:20:21 PM

Both are the same chip (L1 cache included) except that the MP has the multiprocessing code enabled, and in theory the XP does not. Some XPs have had it enabled though.

I sold my soul to Microsoft, and all I got was this lousy operating system.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2002 1:25:36 PM

Thank you all for your replies....I based my statement "there is no L1 cache" on the fact that in Tom's price comparsion guide, they listed the MP1800 with no L1 cache. Might have been a typo...I compaired the Xp1800, MP1800, and the XP1900. Thanks again.

Hmmm, Looks like the gene pool could use a little chlorine!
!