is the fan inside theDuron retail box good enough

G

hi,there.
I am going to uppergrade my system. I try to get a Tyan tiger MP mother board with Dual Duron 1 Ghz.
The retail box Duron 1 Ghz include a fan and heat sink.

I just wonder if these fans are good enough for cooling.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by heyzerg on 01/28/02 01:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If you dont overclock its more than enough, think about it, why would amd sell chips whose heatsinks werent adequate?

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The heatsinks are OK for stock, but I wonder this question.

Are you sure that the board will support dual Durons? Only because I understand that Athlon Thunderbirds and XP processors don't work in SMP mode, only Athlon MP do. It must be some register in the core that flips it on and off.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There's actually no register or anything that's flipped on. The cores are actually the same, but AMD won't guarantee 100% functionality with anything other than MP's. There's one thing that most people don't really understand, and that is that the chipset is actually the one that does all of the MP work, the processor really doesn't have to even be designed for MP in dual processor scenarios. Take for example your regular vanilla Pentiums. Those were never designed for MP systems, but there were lots of them out there. I've got a dual P90 here at the office, they're not even the same stepping, but they do work. Intel won't guarantee their working, but they work. With AMD, it's the same deal. I've even tried placing a P100 and a P90 together, and they work, but the P100 runs at 90 obviously.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lucol on 01/28/02 10:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>