clean install - cannot connect ?

Hi,

My sister has my old Dell XPST800r, PIII 800MHz, 384MB or 512MB (don't
remember) Ram, 20GB PM, 60GB PS, which has been running XP for a while.
My sister managed to get a couple of phone home type viruses and the
annoying constant checkdisk at every boot, at about the same time.

Since, she also wanted to change her husband's account to Limited and
create a new one for her daughter, and since she's been using the thing
under my username since I gave it to her, I figured I might as well
re-format and start over. It's always been a good - and fairly simple -
idea in the past.

So, the format, partition (from XP CD) install goes fine, and I want to
activate, so I try to go online - no way. In Device Manager the modem
says "cannot start". I delete and re-install the modem, but no help.
I've never had to install any drivers for the thing before and have no
idea what modem it is (it could be any of three or four I've had around
over the years) - XP just recognized it and it worked before. I've had
DSL for long enough that I simply don't remember anything about modem
configuration. I set it up to be dialling from Canada, my area code and
put in the correct phone number (it's for my DSL dial up service).

So, I take it out and put in another one. It shows up fine in Device
Manager, and dials fine. I can hear the tones of communication, but
eventually I get the error that the other computer did not reply. While
it is actively trying to connect - the entire system is frozen - nothing
works, not even CTRL-ALT-DEL.

I cannot figure out what I've done wrong - I don't live in the same
neighbourhood as the PC and my sister and hubby are pretty hopeless, so
I'm stuck with this problem. I'm going back over there next weekend.

Any ideas, advice, links would be greatly appreciated. I wish I knew
more so that I could offer useful advice here instead of always asking
for (and getting) help.

Would it be better to clean install WIn98 (the original OS on the
system) and upgrade to XP?

TIA,
--
Cynthia
I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    i have seen problems surface with otherwise perfectly reliable modems after
    installing service pack 2. the simple solutions of which are to uninstall
    service pack 2 or get new modem drivers.

    "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My sister has my old Dell XPST800r, PIII 800MHz, 384MB or 512MB (don't
    > remember) Ram, 20GB PM, 60GB PS, which has been running XP for a while.
    > My sister managed to get a couple of phone home type viruses and the
    > annoying constant checkdisk at every boot, at about the same time.
    >
    > Since, she also wanted to change her husband's account to Limited and
    > create a new one for her daughter, and since she's been using the thing
    > under my username since I gave it to her, I figured I might as well
    > re-format and start over. It's always been a good - and fairly simple -
    > idea in the past.
    >
    > So, the format, partition (from XP CD) install goes fine, and I want to
    > activate, so I try to go online - no way. In Device Manager the modem
    > says "cannot start". I delete and re-install the modem, but no help.
    > I've never had to install any drivers for the thing before and have no
    > idea what modem it is (it could be any of three or four I've had around
    > over the years) - XP just recognized it and it worked before. I've had
    > DSL for long enough that I simply don't remember anything about modem
    > configuration. I set it up to be dialling from Canada, my area code and
    > put in the correct phone number (it's for my DSL dial up service).
    >
    > So, I take it out and put in another one. It shows up fine in Device
    > Manager, and dials fine. I can hear the tones of communication, but
    > eventually I get the error that the other computer did not reply. While
    > it is actively trying to connect - the entire system is frozen - nothing
    > works, not even CTRL-ALT-DEL.
    >
    > I cannot figure out what I've done wrong - I don't live in the same
    > neighbourhood as the PC and my sister and hubby are pretty hopeless, so
    > I'm stuck with this problem. I'm going back over there next weekend.
    >
    > Any ideas, advice, links would be greatly appreciated. I wish I knew
    > more so that I could offer useful advice here instead of always asking
    > for (and getting) help.
    >
    > Would it be better to clean install WIn98 (the original OS on the
    > system) and upgrade to XP?
    >
    > TIA,
    > --
    > Cynthia
    > I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:13:48 -0400, Cynthia G wrote in

    > Any ideas, advice, links would be greatly appreciated. I wish I knew
    > more so that I could offer useful advice here instead of always asking
    > for (and getting) help.

    The modem not being detected sounds like a driver problem. Look on the
    first modem and see if you can find a brand name or model number or
    hopefully both. Then go to the manufacturers website and see if you can
    get some Windows XP drivers for it.

    As for not being able to connect with the second modem, I don't know why
    you wouldn't be able to connect. Possibly a driver problem there as well
    since you said the machine locks up and I didn't see you mention installing
    any drivers except the generic Windows XP ones. Try and find drivers for
    that one if you can't for the first one.

    > Would it be better to clean install WIn98 (the original OS on the
    > system) and upgrade to XP?

    It's my opinion that this would not be a better idea.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Have you installed the drivers from the disk that came with the
    modem(instead of the default xp generic driver)?
    Also try clearing the NVRAM in the BIOS and restore defaults.( To do
    this you can go to the DELL web site
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/)
    Try changing the PCI slot.
    If it still locks up, try swapping it with a good known modem.

    Tim.

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    > i have seen problems surface with otherwise perfectly reliable modems
    > after
    > installing service pack 2. the simple solutions of which are to
    > uninstall
    > service pack 2 or get new modem drivers.

    Thank you - unfortunately, I hadn't gotten to Service Pack 2, yet (have
    the CD, and that's the next step). Still at SP1.
    --

    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:13:48 -0400, Cynthia G wrote in
    >
    >> Any ideas, advice, links would be greatly appreciated. I wish I knew
    >> more so that I could offer useful advice here instead of always asking
    >> for (and getting) help.
    >
    > The modem not being detected sounds like a driver problem. Look on the
    > first modem and see if you can find a brand name or model number or
    > hopefully both. Then go to the manufacturers website and see if you can
    > get some Windows XP drivers for it.
    >
    > As for not being able to connect with the second modem, I don't know why
    > you wouldn't be able to connect. Possibly a driver problem there as well
    > since you said the machine locks up and I didn't see you mention
    > installing
    > any drivers except the generic Windows XP ones. Try and find drivers for
    > that one if you can't for the first one.
    >
    >> Would it be better to clean install WIn98 (the original OS on the
    >> system) and upgrade to XP?
    >
    > It's my opinion that this would not be a better idea.
    >
    > Dave

    Thanks for the reply and opinion.

    Unfortunately, the 1st modem has no brand name on it and XP gave it a
    Standard modem driver (it's an ISA model). The 2nd one was in an old
    computer listed as "LT win modem" and XP installed the drive "Lucent Win
    Modem" - I assume these are the same driver, newer version.

    I have another modem at home that came with my newer Dell Dim 4550. I think
    it's a winmodem, but I have Dell's disk with it.

    Someone else suggested that I install the chipset drivers, but are these
    necessary on this older system? (XPS T800r PIII) because I don't remember
    installing or updating anything the last time I installed XP on it and there
    were no other yellow exclamation points in Device Manger except the 1st
    modem, and none after the change to the 2nd modem.

    This is driving me nuts, because I've done about 8 or 9 clean XP installs on
    3 different systems, including the one now with problems, and have *never*
    had anything fail like this.

    Thanks again,

    "tim" <delltech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have you installed the drivers from the disk that came with the
    > modem(instead of the default xp generic driver)?
    > Also try clearing the NVRAM in the BIOS and restore defaults.( To do
    > this you can go to the DELL web site
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/)
    > Try changing the PCI slot.
    > If it still locks up, try swapping it with a good known modem.
    >
    > Tim.

    I would - if I knew which modem it was. It's an ISA and I think it came
    with the machine - Win98. It *was* a good modem until yesterday after the
    clean re-install of XP SP1. But, then I put in another PCI modem, obviously
    in another slot and it is recognized and dials - but no actual connection.

    I have another modem to try next weekend - with it's driver disk.

    After that, I'll try clearing the NVRAM.

    Thanks.

    Cynthia
    I don't read Hotmail. To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    > "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My sister has my old Dell XPST800r, PIII 800MHz, 384MB or 512MB (don't
    >> remember) Ram, 20GB PM, 60GB PS, which has been running XP for a while.
    >> My sister managed to get a couple of phone home type viruses and the
    >> annoying constant checkdisk at every boot, at about the same time.
    >>
    >> Since, she also wanted to change her husband's account to Limited and
    >> create a new one for her daughter, and since she's been using the thing
    >> under my username since I gave it to her, I figured I might as well
    >> re-format and start over. It's always been a good - and fairly simple -
    >> idea in the past.
    >>
    >> So, the format, partition (from XP CD) install goes fine, and I want to
    >> activate, so I try to go online - no way. In Device Manager the modem
    >> says "cannot start". I delete and re-install the modem, but no help.
    >> I've never had to install any drivers for the thing before and have no
    >> idea what modem it is (it could be any of three or four I've had around
    >> over the years) - XP just recognized it and it worked before. I've had
    >> DSL for long enough that I simply don't remember anything about modem
    >> configuration. I set it up to be dialling from Canada, my area code and
    >> put in the correct phone number (it's for my DSL dial up service).
    >>
    >> So, I take it out and put in another one. It shows up fine in Device
    >> Manager, and dials fine. I can hear the tones of communication, but
    >> eventually I get the error that the other computer did not reply. While
    >> it is actively trying to connect - the entire system is frozen - nothing
    >> works, not even CTRL-ALT-DEL.
    >>
    >> I cannot figure out what I've done wrong - I don't live in the same
    >> neighbourhood as the PC and my sister and hubby are pretty hopeless, so
    >> I'm stuck with this problem. I'm going back over there next weekend.
    >>
    >> Any ideas, advice, links would be greatly appreciated. I wish I knew
    >> more so that I could offer useful advice here instead of always asking
    >> for (and getting) help.
    >>
    >> Would it be better to clean install WIn98 (the original OS on the
    >> system) and upgrade to XP?
    >>
    >> TIA,

    ahha! xp does not support isa very well! that is likely your problem... is
    there a pci slot available? there is a $20 PCI modem on sale at staples
    with week with a $20 rebate...
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-5020562-2.html?legacy=cnet

    "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:13:48 -0400, Cynthia G wrote in
    > >
    > >> Any ideas, advice, links would be greatly appreciated. I wish I knew
    > >> more so that I could offer useful advice here instead of always asking
    > >> for (and getting) help.
    > >
    > > The modem not being detected sounds like a driver problem. Look on the
    > > first modem and see if you can find a brand name or model number or
    > > hopefully both. Then go to the manufacturers website and see if you can
    > > get some Windows XP drivers for it.
    > >
    > > As for not being able to connect with the second modem, I don't know why
    > > you wouldn't be able to connect. Possibly a driver problem there as
    well
    > > since you said the machine locks up and I didn't see you mention
    > > installing
    > > any drivers except the generic Windows XP ones. Try and find drivers
    for
    > > that one if you can't for the first one.
    > >
    > >> Would it be better to clean install WIn98 (the original OS on the
    > >> system) and upgrade to XP?
    > >
    > > It's my opinion that this would not be a better idea.
    > >
    > > Dave
    >

    > Thanks for the reply and opinion.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the 1st modem has no brand name on it and XP gave it a
    > Standard modem driver (it's an ISA model). The 2nd one was in an old
    > computer listed as "LT win modem" and XP installed the drive "Lucent Win
    > Modem" - I assume these are the same driver, newer version.
    >
    > I have another modem at home that came with my newer Dell Dim 4550. I
    think
    > it's a winmodem, but I have Dell's disk with it.
    >
    > Someone else suggested that I install the chipset drivers, but are these
    > necessary on this older system? (XPS T800r PIII) because I don't remember
    > installing or updating anything the last time I installed XP on it and
    there
    > were no other yellow exclamation points in Device Manger except the 1st
    > modem, and none after the change to the 2nd modem.
    >
    > This is driving me nuts, because I've done about 8 or 9 clean XP installs
    on
    > 3 different systems, including the one now with problems, and have *never*
    > had anything fail like this.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Cynthia
    > I don't read Hotmail. To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    keep in mind that this computer has two serial ports, and your isa modem,
    and potentially usb devices emulating serial ports... you may have to
    disable one of the other ports in order to get this one to fly... but with a
    newer pci type 'software' (aka 'win'dows) type modem the com port can be
    something other than com1/3 or com2/4 which would avoid resource
    conflicts...

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    > keep in mind that this computer has two serial ports, and your isa
    > modem,
    > and potentially usb devices emulating serial ports... you may have to
    > disable one of the other ports in order to get this one to fly... but
    > with a
    > newer pci type 'software' (aka 'win'dows) type modem the com port can
    > be
    > something other than com1/3 or com2/4 which would avoid resource
    > conflicts...

    Yes, I understand - however I could find no COM conflicts and I did try
    various disabling. As for XP not lining ISA (as per your previous
    message) I didn't know it was ISA until it wouldn't work and I changed
    it for another PCI (Lucent Win Modem), which will dial but not connect.
    And also, it (1st Modem - ISA) was purring along happily in XP until I
    did the fresh install.

    Then, it "can not start" - was the only exclamation point in Device
    Manager. So, I tried changing to another modem from another PC and it
    will dial but not connect - and - it completely freezes the entire
    system while it is doing the dialing.

    I have received some adivce:

    1. I have yet another modem - with it's own driver disk - to try. I'd
    prefer to not buy another one, because here in Montreal - the cheapest I
    can find is about $30 CAD.

    2. I should check the BIOS to see if it was set to another type of OS.

    3. I could try clearing out the NVRAM.

    4. I could try starting with just XP (no SP1 - as was originally done)
    to see if I can get the original modem to work there, then upgrade. I
    assume SP2 (I have the CD) incorporates SP1??

    I wish I could figure this out because spending this much time at my
    sister's house (this Monday and back this weekend) is not my idea of a
    good time!
    --
    Cynthia
    I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    I would suggest an external modem. If you can take back the internal ones
    you purchased.

    >> simple -

    >> While

    > "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "tim" <delltech@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> I would - if I knew which modem it was. It's an ISA and I think it came
    >>> with the machine - Win98. It *was* a good modem until yesterday after
    >>> the
    >>> clean re-install of XP SP1. But, then I put in another PCI modem,
    >>> obviously
    >>> in another slot and it is recognized and dials - but no actual
    >>> connection.
    >>>
    >>> I have another modem to try next weekend - with it's driver disk.
    >>>
    >>> After that, I'll try clearing the NVRAM.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Cynthia
    >
    > Christopher Muto wrote:
    >> keep in mind that this computer has two serial ports, and your isa modem,
    >> and potentially usb devices emulating serial ports... you may have to
    >> disable one of the other ports in order to get this one to fly... but
    >> with a
    >> newer pci type 'software' (aka 'win'dows) type modem the com port can be
    >> something other than com1/3 or com2/4 which would avoid resource
    >> conflicts...
    >

    > Yes, I understand - however I could find no COM conflicts and I did try
    > various disabling. As for XP not lining ISA (as per your previous
    > message) I didn't know it was ISA until it wouldn't work and I changed it
    > for another PCI (Lucent Win Modem), which will dial but not connect. And
    > also, it (1st Modem - ISA) was purring along happily in XP until I did the
    > fresh install.
    >
    > Then, it "can not start" - was the only exclamation point in Device
    > Manager. So, I tried changing to another modem from another PC and it
    > will dial but not connect - and - it completely freezes the entire system
    > while it is doing the dialing.
    >
    > I have received some adivce:
    >
    > 1. I have yet another modem - with it's own driver disk - to try. I'd
    > prefer to not buy another one, because here in Montreal - the cheapest I
    > can find is about $30 CAD.
    >
    > 2. I should check the BIOS to see if it was set to another type of OS.
    >
    > 3. I could try clearing out the NVRAM.
    >
    > 4. I could try starting with just XP (no SP1 - as was originally done) to
    > see if I can get the original modem to work there, then upgrade. I assume
    > SP2 (I have the CD) incorporates SP1??
    >
    > I wish I could figure this out because spending this much time at my
    > sister's house (this Monday and back this weekend) is not my idea of a
    > good time!
    > --
    > Cynthia
    > I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:25:35 -0400, "Cynthia G"
    <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote:

    Cynthia,
    when I am working on someone's pc, I usually have them bring it to me,
    that way, I can work on it at my leisure. Is that an option? The group
    could probably offer interactive support for you then.
    //bigsley

    anonymous wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:25:35 -0400, "Cynthia G"
    > <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > Cynthia,
    > when I am working on someone's pc, I usually have them bring it to me,
    > that way, I can work on it at my leisure. Is that an option? The group
    > could probably offer interactive support for you then.
    > //bigsley

    No room at my place!, besides if I hooked it up here - it would be the
    only one - no way to contact you guys, since it won't connect.

    Thanks for the thought.
    --
    Cynthia
    I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    Ok - I went by this weekend and installed my modem - worked on the
    first try ( I do, now, suspect that I may have put the incorrect
    username in when trying the 2nd modem - but sonce my brother-in-law
    couldn't get his connection to work either - maybe not).

    So, all systems are go - Except the system is extremely slow, Much
    slower than when I had it here running XP. It now has XP SP2 on it and,
    so far, very little software (the install DVD I made didn't work - had
    to come back home for the original discs).

    Any ideas on the speed? Dim XPST800r, PIII 800, 512MB Ram, 20GB + 60GB
    7200 HD, 32MB NVidia Video Card.

    I've disabled quite a few services and nothing is in msconfig yet.
    Usually after a clean install the system is very fast - not this time.

    TIA.
    --

    Cynthia G wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My sister has my old Dell XPST800r, PIII 800MHz, 384MB or 512MB (don't
    > remember) Ram, 20GB PM, 60GB PS, which has been running XP for a
    > while.
    > My sister managed to get a couple of phone home type viruses and the
    > annoying constant checkdisk at every boot, at about the same time.

    <snip> might as well re-format and start over. It's always been a
    good - and fairly simple -
    > idea in the past.
    >
    > So, the format, partition (from XP CD) install goes fine, and I want
    > activate, so I try to go online - no way. In Device Manager the modem
    > says "cannot start". I delete and re-install the modem, but no help.
    > I've never had to install any drivers for the thing before and have no
    > idea what modem it is (it could be any of three or four I've had
    > around
    > over the years) - XP just recognized it and it worked before. I've
    > had
    > DSL for long enough that I simply don't remember anything about modem
    > configuration. I set it up to be dialling from Canada, my area code
    > and
    > put in the correct phone number (it's for my DSL dial up service).
    >
    > So, I take it out and put in another one. It shows up fine in Device
    > Manager, and dials fine. I can hear the tones of communication, but
    > eventually I get the error that the other computer did not reply.
    > While
    > it is actively trying to connect - the entire system is frozen -
    > nothing
    > works, not even CTRL-ALT-DEL.

    <snip>
    > TIA,

    Cynthia,

    I have read that SP2 has slowed down some systems. It may be
    worthwhile to remove it and see if that is the cause. Was any
    additional software installed in the meantime? Oh, some folks have had
    to reinstall drivers, dont recall which ones, after installing SP2,
    which solved their respective problems.

    What do you think went wrong with the DVD? Was it unbootable?

    bigsley

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:50:17 -0400, "Cynthia G"
    <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Ok - I went by this weekend and installed my modem - worked on the
    >first try ( I do, now, suspect that I may have put the incorrect
    >username in when trying the 2nd modem - but sonce my brother-in-law
    >couldn't get his connection to work either - maybe not).
    >
    >So, all systems are go - Except the system is extremely slow, Much
    >slower than when I had it here running XP. It now has XP SP2 on it and,
    >so far, very little software (the install DVD I made didn't work - had
    >to come back home for the original discs).
    >
    >Any ideas on the speed? Dim XPST800r, PIII 800, 512MB Ram, 20GB + 60GB
    >7200 HD, 32MB NVidia Video Card.
    >
    >I've disabled quite a few services and nothing is in msconfig yet.
    >Usually after a clean install the system is very fast - not this time.
    >
    >TIA.

    I was browsing thru the Dell site and found this link:
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=us&cs=19&DN=1089806&l=en&s=dhs
    Here are some things I do to increase performance:

    Move swap file to 2nd HD
    Decrease size of TempIntFileCache to 10MB
    Disable Indexing Service
    Disable fast user switching
    Disable last access time stamp
    Auto defrag daily
    Disable auto search for other computers, tasks & printers
    Various Internet Options adjustments for IE
    Search and Remove Spyware/Adware/Malware
    Check Add/Remove Apps for unecessary programs
    Virus scan often
    Run Task Manager and observe CPU load, running processes, pagefile
    size, system cache size and network throughput (bytes/interval)

    But my first quess would be its SP2.

    <anonymous> wrote in message
    > Cynthia,
    >
    > I have read that SP2 has slowed down some systems. It may be
    > worthwhile to remove it and see if that is the cause. Was any
    > additional software installed in the meantime? Oh, some folks have had
    > to reinstall drivers, dont recall which ones, after installing SP2,
    > which solved their respective problems.

    I've installed only MS Office 2003, so far. I haven't used the system, it
    simply responds slowly to any command.

    My sister complained that Spider Solitaire was slow before I did the
    re-install. But, it never seemed slow when I had it in my house last year,
    running XP (pre-SPs).

    > What do you think went wrong with the DVD? Was it unbootable?

    I would have to guess that: a) the drive didn't like the DVD I used (a
    cheapie), b) the autorun menu I created caused somekind of problem. The
    disc works fine at home in both my drives - burners both. But my Dell is
    newer and faster (this, after all, is the reason my sister has the one we're
    discussing). It is not a boot disc, just several software installs
    together.

    However, the install of Adaware from the disc, once browsed worked - nothing
    else would.

    > bigsley

    Thanks for the thoughts.

    <anonymous> wrote in message
    >I was browsing thru the Dell site and found this link:
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=us&cs=19&DN=1089806&l=en&s=dhs
    > Here are some things I do to increase performance:
    >
    > Move swap file to 2nd HD

    haven't got to that yet, should help. It always takes me a while to think
    of this one.

    > Decrease size of TempIntFileCache to 10MB
    > Disable Indexing Service

    Done on at the main drive, don't know about the 2nd one yet.

    > Disable fast user switching

    I'll check on that

    > Disable last access time stamp

    haven't heard of this - how to, please?

    > Auto defrag daily

    If my sister is playing cards (which is mostly what she does) and defrag
    starts - she'll have a fit. They turn off the system, so I can't set for
    overnight. Of course, I don't remember how to set this up, anyway.

    > Disable auto search for other computers, tasks & printers

    I disabled many useless for single home PC services in services.msc, but
    didn't notice any improvement, yet.

    > Various Internet Options adjustments for IE
    > Search and Remove Spyware/Adware/Malware
    > Check Add/Remove Apps for unecessary programs

    nothing is installed yet, and nothing shows in msconfig, yet.

    > Virus scan often
    > Run Task Manager and observe CPU load, running processes, pagefile
    > size, system cache size and network throughput (bytes/interval)
    >
    > But my first quess would be its SP2.

    It seemed, to me, to be responding slowly before I installed SP2, when it
    was just XP (no SPs at all) and no installed software.

    Thanks again,

    Cynthia
    I don't read hotmail. To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    > bigsley
    >
    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:50:17 -0400, "Cynthia G"
    > <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Ok - I went by this weekend and installed my modem - worked on the
    >>first try ( I do, now, suspect that I may have put the incorrect
    >>username in when trying the 2nd modem - but sonce my brother-in-law
    >>couldn't get his connection to work either - maybe not).
    >>
    >>So, all systems are go - Except the system is extremely slow, Much
    >>slower than when I had it here running XP. It now has XP SP2 on it and,
    >>so far, very little software (the install DVD I made didn't work - had
    >>to come back home for the original discs).
    >>
    >>Any ideas on the speed? Dim XPST800r, PIII 800, 512MB Ram, 20GB + 60GB
    >>7200 HD, 32MB NVidia Video Card.
    >>
    >>I've disabled quite a few services and nothing is in msconfig yet.
    >>Usually after a clean install the system is very fast - not this time.
    >>
    >>TIA.

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:26:12 -0400, "Cynthia G"
    <cynthiag31@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> Disable last access time stamp
    >
    >haven't heard of this - how to, please?

    Info not handy until I reinstall HDD in PC, not sure if it was a
    registry edit (think so), or an app called XT_Setup. Sorry..but should
    be able to tell you in a couple days.

    bigsley

    Bigsley wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:26:12 -0400, "Cynthia G"
    > <cynthiag31@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>> Disable last access time stamp
    >>
    >> haven't heard of this - how to, please?
    >>

    > Info not handy until I reinstall HDD in PC, not sure if it was a
    > registry edit (think so), or an app called XT_Setup. Sorry..but should
    > be able to tell you in a couple days.
    >
    > bigsley

    I understand, no hurry. If I get stuck at my sister's place before
    then, I'll see what I can find out.

    Thanks again.
    --
    Cynthia
    I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:48:29 -0400, "Cynthia G"
    <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Bigsley wrote:

    >>> haven't heard of this - how to, please?
    >>>

    >> Info not handy until I reinstall HDD in PC, not sure if it was a
    >> registry edit (think so), or an app called XT_Setup. Sorry..but should
    >> be able to tell you in a couple days.
    >>
    >> bigsley
    >
    >I understand, no hurry. If I get stuck at my sister's place before
    >then, I'll see what I can find out.
    >
    >Thanks again.

    Found it. Go here: http://www.xteq.com
    Its called: XQ_Setup_63. Though there may be a newer version. What
    software did you use to create the bootable DVD? That is one of my
    next projects..slipstream SP2 onto my Dell XP Pro SP1a CD..then add
    all updates, drivers, apps from other Dell CD's.

    bigsley

    "bigsley" <bigsley@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:48:29 -0400, "Cynthia G"
    > <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Bigsley wrote:

    >>> Info not handy until I reinstall HDD in PC, not sure if it was a
    >>> registry edit (think so), or an app called XT_Setup. Sorry..but should
    >>> be able to tell you in a couple days.
    >>>
    >>> bigsley
    >>
    >>I understand, no hurry. If I get stuck at my sister's place before
    >>then, I'll see what I can find out.
    >>
    >>Thanks again.
    >
    > Found it. Go here: http://www.xteq.com
    > Its called: XQ_Setup_63. Though there may be a newer version. What
    > software did you use to create the bootable DVD? That is one of my
    > next projects..slipstream SP2 onto my Dell XP Pro SP1a CD..then add
    > all updates, drivers, apps from other Dell CD's.
    >
    > bigsley

    As I said, it was not a bootable DVD, just various software installs with an
    autorun menu. Gave trouble on every non-burner I tried. And yes, the disk
    was closed - read-only.

    Anyway, I've got the system at my house and it seems to be working OK.
    However, the Bios doesn't see both the DVDRom and CDRW on IDE 2, just the
    master. XP sees both and both work. (For awhile, the DVD drive refused to
    recognize anything for more than 5 minutes - it would just freeze in the
    middle of processing the install from disc.) I've thought of maybe updating
    the BIOS - it's at A08 and there are 3 newer ones, unfortunately none of
    them make a reference to IDE in their improvement notes - but haven't gotten
    to that yet. Both drives are the ones that came with the system (4 yrs
    old).

    Internet connection works fine, now (still refuses to work with the ISA
    modem that was in it and used to work perfectly, but works with PCI one I
    put in) and it doesn't seem quite as slow. I have no idea why...

    Maybe there is a problem with the IDE connector on the MB, but if I get the
    drives working without a new IDE controller card - that would be good since
    a Promise card is over $50 CAD. I did change the cable with a known good
    one from my other Dell, no help.

    > "bigsley" <bigsley@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:48:29 -0400, "Cynthia G"
    >> <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>>I understand, no hurry. If I get stuck at my sister's place before
    >>>then, I'll see what I can find out.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again.
    >>
    >> Found it. Go here: http://www.xteq.com
    >> Its called: XQ_Setup_63. Though there may be a newer version. What
    >> software did you use to create the bootable DVD? That is one of my
    >> next projects..slipstream SP2 onto my Dell XP Pro SP1a CD..then add
    >> all updates, drivers, apps from other Dell CD's.
    >>
    >> bigsley
    >>

    > As I said, it was not a bootable DVD, just various software installs with
    > an autorun menu. Gave trouble on every non-burner I tried. And yes, the
    > disk was closed - read-only.
    >
    > Anyway, I've got the system at my house and it seems to be working OK.
    > However, the Bios doesn't see both the DVDRom and CDRW on IDE 2, just the
    > master. XP sees both and both work. (For awhile, the DVD drive refused
    > to recognize anything for more than 5 minutes - it would just freeze in
    > the middle of processing the install from disc.) I've thought of maybe
    > updating the BIOS - it's at A08 and there are 3 newer ones, unfortunately
    > none of them make a reference to IDE in their improvement notes - but
    > haven't gotten to that yet. Both drives are the ones that came with the
    > system (4 yrs old).
    >
    > Internet connection works fine, now (still refuses to work with the ISA
    > modem that was in it and used to work perfectly, but works with PCI one I
    > put in) and it doesn't seem quite as slow. I have no idea why...
    >
    > Maybe there is a problem with the IDE connector on the MB, but if I get
    > the drives working without a new IDE controller card - that would be good
    > since a Promise card is over $50 CAD. I did change the cable with a known
    > good one from my other Dell, no help.

    Master? Nothing should be cabled as master. Both drives should be jumpered
    Cable Select.

    Tom

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "bigsley" <bigsley@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

    >>> Found it. Go here: http://www.xteq.com
    >>> Its called: XQ_Setup_63. Though there may be a newer version. What
    >>> software did you use to create the bootable DVD? That is one of my
    >>> next projects..slipstream SP2 onto my Dell XP Pro SP1a CD..then add
    >>> all updates, drivers, apps from other Dell CD's.
    >>>
    >>> bigsley
    >>>

    >> As I said, it was not a bootable DVD, just various software installs
    >> with
    >> an autorun menu. Gave trouble on every non-burner I tried. And yes,
    >> the
    >> disk was closed - read-only.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I've got the system at my house and it seems to be working
    >> OK.
    >> However, the Bios doesn't see both the DVDRom and CDRW on IDE 2, just
    >> the
    >> master. XP sees both and both work. (For awhile, the DVD drive
    >> refused
    >> to recognize anything for more than 5 minutes - it would just freeze
    >> in
    >> the middle of processing the install from disc.) I've thought of
    >> maybe
    >> updating the BIOS - it's at A08 and there are 3 newer ones,
    >> unfortunately
    >> none of them make a reference to IDE in their improvement notes - but
    >> haven't gotten to that yet. Both drives are the ones that came with
    >> the
    >> system (4 yrs old).
    >>
    >> Internet connection works fine, now (still refuses to work with the
    >> ISA
    >> modem that was in it and used to work perfectly, but works with PCI
    >> one I
    >> put in) and it doesn't seem quite as slow. I have no idea why...
    >>
    >> Maybe there is a problem with the IDE connector on the MB, but if I
    >> get
    >> the drives working without a new IDE controller card - that would be
    >> good
    >> since a Promise card is over $50 CAD. I did change the cable with a
    >> known
    >> good one from my other Dell, no help.
    >>

    > Master? Nothing should be cabled as master. Both drives should be
    > jumpered
    > Cable Select.
    >
    > Tom

    They are, but they are referred to as Master and Slave.
    --
    Cynthia
    I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    OK, (Dim XPST800r, 512MB Ram - about 4yrs old) so I get the modem internet
    working - changed modems, no problem.

    Then, I have trouble with IDE 2 DVDRom and CDRW drives - not reading, BISO
    not receognizing one or the other. Eventually, just as I'm about to spend $
    on a new IDE controller add-in card, this problem goes away and both drives
    are seen by the BIOS and work almost perfectly (the 2nd disc in a 2 disc
    install is never found, no matter what - so far I've gotten around it by
    copying everything the hard drive and installing from there).
    Anyone know what this particular trouble might be? Burning works, DVD
    movies work, software installs work (from single discs)...
    BTW, I did flash the BIOS up one version to A09, I couldn't tell if this
    helped any or not. There are 2 more versions - should I try those?

    Now, the 2nd hard drive (IDE 1, slave position - cable select) has
    vanished - not in the BIOS, not in XP. Even if I set up the BIOS as User,
    or Other ATAPI (don't remember which I did this AM), no go. The drive is
    recognized by the BIOS (haven't seen what XP thinks of it, yet) in my
    Dim4550.

    Someone earlier in the thread suggested that all the trouble with IDE 2
    could be a failing HDD, even though there on the other controller. So, does
    this mean it's dead? Could it be something else? What do you all think I
    should try?

    If the drive works in my system (as an aside... I had to remove the floppy
    for the drive brackets and I stuck it that bay, for now - if there is an
    empty 3.5 bay below the floopy why doesn't Dell give 2 extra little
    brackets? They gave enough brackets for 2 HDD, 2 5.25 bay drives and 4
    extra of the large ones, why no little ones? There is a power connector
    there, available) I'm going to burn everything on it to DVD for safe
    keeping, but how do I know if it is really dead. It's a 60GB Western
    Digital bought 3-4yrs ago, I think. The other HDD is the 20GB Western
    Digital that came with the XPST800r.

    Thanks for any thoughts,

    Cynthia
    I don't read hotmail. To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    The problem is the boot drive (20GB) it failed even when it was the
    only drive on the cable and the 60GB works fine by itself and in my
    other system.

    Last question - I hope! - is there a way to get the 20GB to talk to me
    one last time, so I can mirror the stuff off it ( a clean install and a
    week of software installs and tweaking)?

    TIA - Sorry to be a pain, all the signs pointed to each of the other
    drives - If I were smarter I would have known this meant it *had* to be
    the last one!
    --
    -------------------------------
    > OK, (Dim XPST800r, 512MB Ram - about 4yrs old) so I get the modem
    > internet working - changed modems, no problem.
    >
    > Then, I have trouble with IDE 2 DVDRom and CDRW drives - not
    > reading, Bios
    > not receognizing one or the other. Eventually, just as I'm about to
    > spend $ on a new IDE controller add-in card, this problem goes away
    > and both drives are seen by the BIOS and work almost perfectly (the
    > 2nd disc in a 2 disc install is never found, no matter what - so far
    > I've gotten around it by copying everything the hard drive and
    > installing from there).
    > Anyone know what this particular trouble might be? Burning works,
    > DVD movies work, software installs work (from single discs)...
    > BTW, I did flash the BIOS up one version to A09, I couldn't tell if
    > this helped any or not. There are 2 more versions - should I try
    > those?
    >
    > Now, the 2nd hard drive (IDE 1, slave position - cable select) has
    > vanished - not in the BIOS, not in XP. Even if I set up the BIOS as
    > User, or Other ATAPI (don't remember which I did this AM), no go. The
    > drive is recognized by the BIOS (haven't seen what XP thinks of it,
    > yet) in my Dim4550.
    >
    > Someone earlier in the thread suggested that all the trouble with IDE
    > 2 could be a failing HDD, even though there on the other controller.
    > So, does this mean it's dead? Could it be something else? What do
    > you all think I should try?
    >
    > If the drive works in my system (as an aside... I had to remove the
    > floppy for the drive brackets and I stuck it that bay, for now - if
    > there is an empty 3.5 bay below the floopy why doesn't Dell give 2
    > extra little brackets? They gave enough brackets for 2 HDD, 2 5.25
    > bay drives and 4 extra of the large ones, why no little ones? There
    > is a power connector there, available) I'm going to burn everything
    > on it to DVD for safe keeping, but how do I know if it is really dead.
    > It's a 60GB Western Digital bought 3-4yrs ago, I think. The other HDD
    > is the 20GB Western Digital that came with the XPST800r.
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts,
    >
    > Cynthia

Dell Computers