I7 2820QM vs i7 2720QM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidz7

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I would like to find answers for the questions I'm having currently.

Like the title says, is the performance gain from 2820qm over 2720qm justifies the huge price difference?

Because Im thinking of buying alienware m17x r3, and these two processors make me wondering.

And one more thing, will I notice significant performance gain with 8mb cache of 2820qm compared to 6mb cache of 2720qm?

Thanks in advance. :)

hidz7

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Thanks for your response. :)

Yeah I'm definitely going to upgrade the GPU, it's just that the huge price difference between the two make me wondering.

So, I guess the different in cache size (6mb vs 8mb) will not bring a huge difference in performance right?

Thanks for your response. :)

Yeah I'm definitely going to upgrade the GPU, it's just that the huge price difference between the two make me wondering.

So, I guess the different in cache size (6mb vs 8mb) will not bring a huge difference in performance right?
No it will not. Neither will the 100MHz (less than 5%) in clock speed.

hidz7

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
No it will not. Neither will the 100MHz (less than 5%) in clock speed.
Thanks for your help. Now I've decided to choose i7 2720QM over i7 2820QM, it's better to invest in warranty i think. :)

Best thing to do methinks would be to drop Alienware and buy a Sandy Bridge laptop from Asus or Clevo. Alienware doesn't make laptops. Prior to Del''s purchase they were rebranded Celvo's

You can compare both on this distributor's page:

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=7

Never heard of Clevo ?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

I'd be willing to bet you never heard of most of the laptops you've seen or used as most brands the public knows just slap their label on someone else's stuff:

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

-Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
-Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
-Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
-Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
-Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
-Itautec sells to Siragon, LG, Samsung, Sony
-ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
-Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
-Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
-Lanix sells to Sony, Compaq, Toshiba, Siragon, Itautec
-Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
- Clevo sells to Sager, VoodooPC, FalconNorthwest and other boutique shops

Asus and MSI make their own stuff.

hidz7

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Thanks for your explanation, really appreciate it.

I have heard of Clevo before this, and I have to admit they create great laptops with powerful hardware, but no offense, the boxy and plain design are the things that turn me off.

But I'm not going to rush things because purchasing gaming laptop involved a lot of money, so I'll think about this thoroughly before buying.

Thanks for your response though. :)

rahulkadukar

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Best thing to do methinks would be to drop Alienware and buy a Sandy Bridge laptop from Asus or Clevo. Alienware doesn't make laptops. Prior to Del''s purchase they were rebranded Celvo's

You can compare both on this distributor's page:

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=7

Never heard of Clevo ?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

I'd be willing to bet you never heard of most of the laptops you've seen or used as most brands the public knows just slap their label on someone else's stuff:

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

-Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
-Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
-Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
-Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
-Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
-Itautec sells to Siragon, LG, Samsung, Sony
-ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
-Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
-Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
-Lanix sells to Sony, Compaq, Toshiba, Siragon, Itautec
-Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
- Clevo sells to Sager, VoodooPC, FalconNorthwest and other boutique shops

Asus and MSI make their own stuff.

For extreme gaming which is preferred.

1. Intel 2720QM with 6990M in crossfire and 16 GB RAM
2. Intel i7 980X with 560M in SLI and 12 GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.