Sign in with
Your question

HSF advice needed

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 28, 2002 8:06:05 PM

Ok I am running a new 2.0a woody and at idle it runs at 45-50C I think this is too high..(even with cpuidle enabled!) I need advice on replacing the oem HSF as they are apparantly inadaquate. I have 2 exhaust fans in the top of my inwin full tower, an 80mm at the rear, and a 5.25 bay unit that exhausts to the front using 2, 90 mm fans... in the bottom of the case on the side I have a globalwin 120 mm bringing air in , an 80 mm at the front intake and HSF's on the northbridge and a blue orb on my gf3 ti 200.. basically I think I've done my share with the case and board cooling. What I would like to find is a HSF combo that will not require me to disassemble the entire system to install.. preferably one that utilizes the oem mountings on the mainboard (soyo p4s dragon ultra) suggestions much appreciated ( I would get the appopriate swiftec but the installation sounds daunting and requires the removal of the mobo if I read it right)

Thanx

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>

More about : hsf advice needed

January 28, 2002 9:49:01 PM

50 degrees is just fine. but if you are really that worried, get a swiftech all copper heat sink. that may only fit an athlon, im not sure. even then you probly wont notice too much of a difference.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
January 29, 2002 12:15:26 AM

the swiftech is arguably one of the best air coolers around... and it DOES fit the 423/478 socket.

u will be looking for the MCX-478. basically its a standard MCX-462 but with the 478 mounting brackets.

and removing the mobo isnt hard. just takes a bit of time.

1. open up your pc.
2. disconnect all cables and power connectors
3. unscrew and remove PCI/AGP cards (store in non static bags)
4. best if u remove ram (also in anti static bag)
5. remove mobo tray, or unscrew mobo.
6. mount HS
7. reverse process.

simple.

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
Related resources
January 29, 2002 12:42:23 AM

but aww gee I just installed the motherboard last monday .. was trying to avoid that... easy yes .. a pain in the rear oh yeah :) 

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>
January 29, 2002 1:57:16 AM

i would have thought a woodie would run cooler than that generally though.
whats your mobo and room temps?

The lack of thermal protection on Athlon's is cunning way to stop morons from using AMD. :) 
January 29, 2002 9:34:37 AM

my room temp is just that .. room temp approx 72 F.. sensor 2 on mbm 5 = 30 C sensor 3 = 50C while the cpu )sensor 1) = 44c at the moment .. (just booted up a few minutes ago). As I mentioned the northbridge has a built on hsf too
[edit] as I was writing this sensor 3 dropped to 13 C !!]
lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lagger on 01/29/02 06:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 29, 2002 9:41:10 AM

argh... u couldnt give ur room temp in C could u?
grrr
bloody conversions
*tap tap tap*
around 22C hmmm.
well 30 is obviously your mobo.

dont know which of the other sensors is really your cpu temp though

!